programmer for Attiny 85

  • Earl
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2012
      Hi
      The USB link to my Ensemble RXTX is doing weird things and I suspect the PIC. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive programmer so I can refresh the firmware? I have spare chips. (Lots of inexpensive programmers for other PICs on eBay but the type that will handle AVR seem a bit pricey...)

      Thanks

      Earl VA6TJ
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2012
        Hi Earl,

        Trust you are keeping well, long time since we last spoke.

        Depending on what PC you have to hand, simplest programmer for a new blank chip is three or four resistors if you have a parallel printer port!

        Take a look at the document I produced a few years ago on Fred PE0FKO's website, details a number of dirrerent programmers.

        http://www.pe0fko.nl/g8voi/

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Earl" <earl.rubin@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        > The USB link to my Ensemble RXTX is doing weird things and I suspect the PIC. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive programmer so I can refresh the firmware? I have spare chips. (Lots of inexpensive programmers for other PICs on eBay but the type that will handle AVR seem a bit pricey...)
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Earl VA6TJ

      • Jasmine Strong

          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2012
            Subject: [softrock40] programmer for Attiny 85

            > Hi
            > The USB link to my Ensemble RXTX is doing weird things and I suspect the
            > PIC. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive programmer so I can refresh the
            > firmware? I have spare chips.

            Earl,

            I wonder what weird things.
            Here is my high voltage programmer.
            <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/avrhvprogrammer> Not really
            needed for new chips.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Earl
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
              Alan,

              The computer will not recognize the USB device, or it connects / disconnects randomly. The radio worked when I disconnected it last fall and I suspect that perhaps there was an electrostatic issue when I disconnected it or moved it around. It is very dry up here (4600')and static electricity is a constant companion.

              One of the little zeners on the USB input appeared to be shorted - I replaced both of them with a matched set but that did not fix anything.

              I know the drivers are OK because my older SR all band receiver is still going strong. (Installing the drivers and getting a time synchronization program to work with Win 7 was a nightmare - I have one computer on XP and one on Win 7).

              73

              Earl

              > Subject: [softrock40] programmer for Attiny 85
              >

              > > Hi
              > > The USB link to my Ensemble RXTX is doing weird things and I suspect the
              > > PIC. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive programmer so I can refresh the
              > > firmware? I have spare chips.
              >
              > Earl,
              >
              > I wonder what weird things.
              > Here is my high voltage programmer.
              > <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/avrhvprogrammer> Not really
              > needed for new chips.
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • Chris McDonald
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012

                The sparkfun pocket programmer is like $15. You will need a breadboard and/or some ic hook clips to connect it to the attiny.

                73, VE1LX

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote: > > > ----- Original Message ---...