Linear Amp for QRP

  • k2bet1
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2012
    • Mike WA8BXN
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2012
        It looks like it lacks bandpass filters.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2012
          Maybe so... be sure to take a look at the home URL for the seller... pretty interesting. There is another linear for less money which takes less power to drive it as well.   Still may need some BPFs...

          On 5/31/2012 12:34 PM, Mike WA8BXN wrote:

          It looks like it lacks bandpass filters.

          I wonder if anyone has looked more closely at this amp? No affiliation just
          wondering what you think. Looks a bit like the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-45B.

          http://www.ebay
          com/itm/SSB-CW-HF-LINEAR-AMP-180W-QRP-SDR-817s-/150805937814?_trksid=p4340
          m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DUPI
          GIROS%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUCI%252BUCC%26otn%3D13%26pmod%3D290718831
          68%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8806789656698524272

          bet

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7184 (20120531) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • MIKE DURKIN
          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2012
            With a pair of 2sc2879's .... 120w each .... id guess more are sold to CB'rs than hams ...

            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2012
              The thought did cross my mind!

              On 5/31/2012 3:40 PM, MIKE DURKIN wrote:

              With a pair of 2sc2879's .... 120w each .... id guess more are sold to CB'rs than hams ...

              It looks like it lacks bandpass filters.

              I wonder if anyone has looked more closely at this amp? No affiliation just
              wondering what you think. Looks a bit like the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-45B.

              http://www.ebay
              com/itm/SSB-CW-HF-LINEAR-AMP-180W-QRP-SDR-817s-/150805937814?_trksid=p4340
              m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DUPI
              GIROS%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUCI%252BUCC%26otn%3D13%26pmod%3D290718831
              68%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8806789656698524272

              bet

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7185 (20120531) __________

              http://www.eset.com
            • Graham
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2012
                There has been an ongoing discussion about SMD / SMT work. I ran across
                a neat little "comic" on SMT soldering that I thought some might
                something out of:

                http://mightyohm.com/blog/2012/05/smt-soldering-its-easier-than-you-think/

                cheers, Graham ve3gtc
              • Dave B
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                  I supose 180W is QRP for some....

                  If you're going to amplify a Softrock to that sort of level (52.55dBm or
                  so) best make sure the unwanted image suppresion is pretty darn good!

                  Most modules of that ilk, at those low voltages will be in compression
                  (not exactly "Linear") too, so take care.

                  The heatsink looks barly adiquate too, unless you've got a good blower.
                  OK for low duty cycle stuff I guess.

                  Should be OK, clean/linear, and rugged (VSWR tollerant) at 50W or so, so
                  long as you have good (FAST!) over current protection on the DC supply.

                  Remember, power is nothing without control!

                  Regards.

                  Dave G0WBX.
                • John Rabson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                    On 1 Jun 2012, at 22:45CEST, Dave B wrote:

                    Should be OK, clean/linear, and rugged (VSWR tollerant) at 50W or so, so
                    long as you have good (FAST!) over current protection on the DC supply.

                    And a power semicondictor is the fastest fuse known to man.

                    John F5VLF

                  • Lawrence Galea
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 2, 2012
                      Fastest fuse on three legs
                      Regards
                      Lawrence

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 2, 2012
                        Not quite as fast as a laserdiode. Spikes as short as 2 ns can destroy a laserdiode.

                        -J.

                        On 2 Jun 2012, at 12:59, Lawrence Galea wrote:

                        Fastest fuse on three legs
                        Regards
                        Lawrence

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 3, 2012
                          Oh yes!...

                          How fast a power semi' self destructs, is directly proportional to the
                          cost x diffulty of it's replacement!

                          Protection is everything! The use of active current limiting/foldback
                          on the DC supply, is just as esential as active monitoring of both
                          forward and reflected power levels, with any needed warnings, trips, or
                          automatic drive level reduction under extreme load VSWR contitions.

                          It's especially a problem when such amps are driving very low impedances
                          (as the devices "see" them) the currents developed rise scarily fast.
                          That coupled with transmission line effects due to standing waves can
                          result in an instant device failure, if something goes "open circuit"
                          somewhere downstream. (1/4 wave transformer effects...)

                          A solid state RF PA, is in essance a controled voltage generator, with
                          (relatively) uncontroled currents. (DC and RF!) Yes, the device
                          controls current itself, but under normal conditions that current is also
                          a function of the DC input voltage and output load impedance, as "seen"
                          by the PA stage. If the dynamic working point of the device stray's out
                          of the "Safe Operating Area" into Secondary Breakdown teretory, the rest
                          as they say is history. And very fast too.

                          A Tube amp by comparison, is a controled current source, that can
                          withstand (in the most part) high voltages under fault conditions, so can
                          be less problematical, though not always in narrowband configurations,
                          and especially not at VHF, where its often other parts that fail first,
                          not the tube itself. (Cap's flashing over etc.)

                          Tubes tend not to fail "Instantly" for the most part (if the amp is
                          correctly designed for the tube in use) but give enough warning to the
                          user that something is wrong by way of real time meetering in sight of
                          the operator. But of course, the operator needs to know how to
                          interperate those readings, and keep an eye on them. There are some
                          commercial tube amps that automate all that, some better than others.

                          I have yet to see even a commercial solid state PA, that has DC input
                          current meetering, though often Fwd and Refl power metering is included.

                          73

                          Dave G0WBX.
                        • Alex
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 3, 2012
                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                            > The thought did cross my mind!
                            >
                            > On 5/31/2012 3:40 PM, MIKE DURKIN wrote:
                            > >
                            > > With a pair of 2sc2879's .... 120w each .... id guess more are sold to
                            > > CB'rs than hams ...

                            I have a ensemble rxtx and I built a kit amp from http://www.golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/wa2ebyamp/
                            Take a look at this amp 40w out with 1w in. It works absolutely beautiful with the softrock ensemble rxtx. I get about 45w out and everyone tells me how great it sound.
                            You can easily get all parts from mouser or digikey.
                            There is a link on the arrl article for this amp on where to get the printed circuit boards. Not hard to build at all.

                            Good luck W6ACT