+Re: Edit Please

  • Louis Ciotti
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2012
    I see this request all the time, on every e-mail list that I belong
    to. Attached is a screen capture of how I receive a long message the
    prior messages. they are a bear to read. I do understand the need to
    keep some sort of history as you are replying to messages, but many
    times some smart clipping can avoid lengthy messages. Yes I am one of
    those who is not very active on the all the groups, so I utilize
    digest mode, and I have not resorted to just scanning the topic list
    at the top of most of the e-mail lists because of the sheer length of
    the messages.

    This would probably be avoided if people did not "top post" all of the time.

    Now while I am not advocating the following site be treated as the
    holy grail, but it does ahve some very useful information on
    top/bottom posting.

    http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/
  • Richard Bown
    Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2012
      On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:43:40 -0400
      Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@...> wrote:

      > I see this request all the time, on every e-mail list that I belong
      > to. Attached is a screen capture of how I receive a long message the
      > prior messages. they are a bear to read. I do understand the need to
      > keep some sort of history as you are replying to messages, but many
      > times some smart clipping can avoid lengthy messages. Yes I am one of
      > those who is not very active on the all the groups, so I utilize
      > digest mode, and I have not resorted to just scanning the topic list
      > at the top of most of the e-mail lists because of the sheer length of
      > the messages.
      >
      > This would probably be avoided if people did not "top post" all of the time.
      >
      > Now while I am not advocating the following site be treated as the
      > holy grail, but it does ahve some very useful information on
      > top/bottom posting.
      >
      > http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/

      I ve notice that top posting is a windows user trend,
      Top posting is a pain, as it doesn't keep chronological order.

      Best wishes / 73
      Richard Bown

      e-mail: richard@...

      Escaped from gmail, mail hosted by SimplyMailSolutions :) ;)
      Please avoid using old e-mail address of richard.bown@...

      nil carborundum a illegitemis
      ##################################################################################
      Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC16 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
      Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs
      mins ) QRV HF + VHF Microwave 23 cms:140W,13 cms:100W,6 cms:10W & 3
      cms:5W
      ##################################################################################
    • KQ8M
      Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2012

        Actually it does, from oldest (bottom) to newest (top) unless someone bottom posts which means I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find it instead of having right there in front of me.

        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

        kq8m@...

        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

        > I see this request all the time, on every e-mail list that I belong
        > to. Attached is a screen capture of how I receive a long message the
        > prior messages. they are a bear to read. I do understand the need to
        > keep some sort of history as you are replying to messages, but many
        > times some smart clipping can avoid lengthy messages. Yes I am one of
        > those who is not very active on the all the groups, so I utilize
        > digest mode, and I have not resorted to just scanning the topic list
        > at the top of most of the e-mail lists because of the sheer length of
        > the messages.
        >
        > This would probably be avoided if people did not "top post" all of the time.
        >
        > Now while I am not advocating the following site be treated as the
        > holy grail, but it does ahve some very useful information on
        > top/bottom posting.
        >
        > http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/

        I ve notice that top posting is a windows user trend,
        Top posting is a pain, as it doesn't keep chronological order.

        Best wishes / 73
        Richard Bown

        e-mail: richard@...

        Escaped from gmail, mail hosted by SimplyMailSolutions :) ;)
        Please avoid using old e-mail address of richard.bown@...

        nil carborundum a illegitemis
        ##################################################################################
        Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC16 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
        Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs
        mins ) QRV HF + VHF Microwave 23 cms:140W,13 cms:100W,6 cms:10W & 3
        cms:5W
        ##################################################################################

      • Dave B
        Message 4 of 7 , May 24, 2012
          Not just Windows users...

          Many mobile devices force you into it, as do other systems with very
          limited screen sizes and also lacking the ability to (easily) scroll a
          long way.

          Top posting vs Bottom posting, it's a religious thing anyway. And who
          actually "Needs" all the prior history, just the last two rounds of
          discussion are usually more than enough.

          The main problem is people not using common sense and trimming their own
          email, for whatever reason.

          I've had (on this list and others) digest's of over 1/4 megabyte! With
          only one or two "new" messages in. The rest is pure dross that should
          have been trimmed by the poster.

          73.

          Dave G0WBX.
        • MIKE DURKIN
          Message 5 of 7 , May 24, 2012
            I can't on my mobile device ....
            AND the droidx auto correct kills me too +.....

              Message 7 of 7 , May 24, 2012

                On 25/05/2012, at 4:34 AM, Jasmine Strong wrote:

                I have no idea what you are talking about, since you included no context at all.

                I think he is talking about the evils of top-posting :-)