Re: Ensemble RXII - we have lift off - almost...

  • maramaxt
    Message 1 of 24 , May 1, 2012
      Thank you Bruce for taking the time to clarify the process!

      # I have indeed installed HDSDR. I must have installed the skins in error.

      # The only driver I've installed is PE0FKO-USB-Driver-1.2.5.0. Looking at the zip file contents I see several files named libusb0.dll, so that's probably the correct driver?

      # I did a search for EXTio.dll on the system but all it found was one dll file named ExtIO_Si570.dll, in the Programs\CFGSR folder. In case that's the dll file you wer4e referring to, I've placed a copy of it in the Programs\HDSDR folder.

      # with regard to your other post, I did have some confusion over the I/Q signals and where they connect to the audio interface. I figured that since the socket on the SDR board was an INPUT, the other end of the lead would plug into two of the four audio interface OUTPUTS.

      I wondered about this since those audio interface outputs usually go to a channel on the Behringer mixing desk where I can monitor the audio stream. So it should go to the interface inputs?

      John

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

      > John, I'll take a crack at this with you. I am sure others will join if
      > they have an idea also.
      >
      > First, you seem to be referring to the "PSDR" software but you are
      > referring to it as "HDSDR"... they are two different versions of
      > software and I think only "PSDR" has 'skins' needed. Please check and
      > correct us on that issue before anything else.
      >
      > You have not mentioned installation of any driver files but there is a
      > need to install the 'libUSB(0)' driver to make the Si-570 vfo part of
      > the project function in the software. Let us know if you have that
      > installed.
      >
      > Lastly, for now... You mention use of 'HDSDR'... if you are in fact
      > using that software, you will need to place the driver file 'EXTio.dll'
      > into the same folder that you have made for 'HDSDR'. That driver allows
      > that program to control the Si-570 VFO as well.
      >
      > Let's clear these issues up and then go from there. Sounds like you
      > should not be too far from the goal posts to me....
      >
      > Bruce, K2BET
      >
      > On 5/1/2012 9:00 PM, maramaxt wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Group.
      > >
      > > Wow! This little beauty works...almost. Antenna input seems dead.
      > >
      > > Here's some info:
      > >
      > > Softrock Ensemble RXII Receiver, HF version, powered via 12v battery.
      > >
      > > PC - WinXP/SP3, plenty of Ram, Quad Chip, configured to allow Wav
      > > audio only, using M-AUDIO as the device.
      > > Sound Card - External M-Audio Firewire Audiophile, 2 INS, 4 OUTS.
      > >
      > > Installed (In this order):
      > > HDSDR Skins,
      > > CFGSR (set to my HF ensemble but haven't touched anything else in
      > > here). USB is shown as functional.
      > > HDSDR (Set to use the M-AUDIO soundcard)
      > >
      > > Everything looks good in HDSDR v2.13.0.15. I'm able to listen to a
      > > looped SDR wave file, see the waterfall display etc. AFAIK everything
      > > here seems to be functional. Sound is ok, monitored via the headphone
      > > out on the M-AUDIO soundcard.
      > >
      > > But connecting an antenna to the RXII, and HDSDR's input to the
      > > soundcard does nothing, just a blank moving waterfall window with a
      > > small central node.
      > >
      > > I hope i've given you enough info to point me in the right direction.
      > >
      > > I have seen something on this forum a while back about "antenna makes
      > > no difference" but I hope you'll forgive that I can't locate it.
      > >
      > > Any input receive with gratitude!
      > >
      > > John ZL1AZS

      > > signature database 7102 (20120501) __________

      > > http://www.eset.com

    • Bruce Tanner
      Message 2 of 24 , May 2, 2012
        That all sounds good... so are you enjoying SDR yet?  If not give us an update with regard to what you are seeing. The software appears to be all OK at this point from what you have reported.

        If you still get no signals showing on the panadapter or waterfall, the next step would be to closely check all cables and their connectors. Actually, use a VOM to check for both continuity and shorts in the cables.

        K2BET

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7104 (20120502) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 3 of 24 , May 2, 2012
          Missed your last "? mark"... Yes, that cable from the Softrock to the sound system goes to an 'Input' on the sound card. You then use your 'audio out' for listening to the demodulated audio with phones or speaker.

        • Jose Bonanca
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2012
            The SR input goes to the INPUT of the interface or sound device.
            73

            --
            Jose (Ct1aos)
          • Bruce Tanner
            Message 5 of 24 , May 2, 2012
              OK. Still no signals on the HDSDR?

              On 5/2/2012 10:18 AM, Jose Bonanca wrote:
> [...]

              > > Installed (In this order):
              > > HDSDR Skins,
              > > CFGSR (set to my HF ensemble but haven't touched anything else in
              > > here). USB is shown as functional.
              > > HDSDR (Set to use the M-AUDIO soundcard)
              > >
              > > Everything looks good in HDSDR v2.13.0.15. I'm able to listen to a
              > > looped SDR wave file, see the waterfall display etc. AFAIK everything
              > > here seems to be functional. Sound is ok, monitored via the headphone
              > > out on the M-AUDIO soundcard.
              > >
              > > But connecting an antenna to the RXII, and HDSDR's input to the
              > > soundcard does nothing, just a blank moving waterfall window with a
              > > small central node.
              > >
              > > I hope i've given you enough info to point me in the right direction.
              > >
              > > I have seen something on this forum a while back about "antenna makes
              > > no difference" but I hope you'll forgive that I can't locate it.

            • PJ
              Message 6 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                I had a somewhat similar problem with my Softrock40R. Not that they are the same but I had a bad connection, cold solder joint, between the cable and the antenna PL connector.

                P. J. Hicks, N7PXY
              • maramaxt
                Message 7 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                  Aha! Thanks Bruce and all others who replied. I haven't checked yet. Some of us sleep over here in ZL :)

                  Funny, I had left my PC's Mailwasher on (with a BBCish announcer voice "You have new mail" which I had recorded).

                  All night the damn thing went off, again and again, because yesterday I had changed the notification default to be notified via individual emails! I live and learn :)

                  Gotta get a little more shut-eye and I'll make those changes a little later this morning. It's 4.25AM here

                  73 John ZL1AZS

                • PJ
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                    Would some one tell me the symptoms of overloading the soundcard please. I some times get a garbled audio output that could be overloading or just that my computer isn't capable of keeping up. The Winrad screen CPU bar sometimes indicates 100% and sometimes much less so I don't really know.
                    P. J. Hicks, N7PXY
                  • Bruce Tanner
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                      Gosh! Sorry, John! You now know we (the list) are at your service 24/7! :)

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                          Hi group.

                          Yessss!!! My god this RX is amazing. I changed the I/Q from outs to ins and voila! there it was.

                          I haven't been back to sleep and have spent the last hour playing. This RX is so quiet and sensitive it blows me away. I can hear DX I wasn't even aware of with my two golden oldies, the Yaesu FRG-7700 RX and the Icom 701 RX/TX. And this is on a simple 80m long-wire antenna.

                          The HDSDR interface takes some getting used to, but it's very tweakable.

                          Thank you Tony Parks and this group for all your help and energy putting this amazing RX together - physically and via your support!

                          73 John ZL1AZS

                          PS: The thing that is disturbingly loud are the pulses from the next door neighbor's electric fence!

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                          > That is way too much CPU use, PJ. I suggest you give a try with a
                          > couple of other programs and see if they make a difference. 'SDR#'
                          > might be one... "HDSDR" another. Not sure what capability your computer
                          > has but most of these programs are using 4-8% CPU usage with my Win
                          > 7,64 bit system with about 4 gigs of memory.
                          >
                          > bet
                          >
                          > On 5/2/2012 12:31 PM, PJ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Would some one tell me the symptoms of overloading the soundcard
                          > > please. I some times get a garbled audio output that could be
                          > > overloading or just that my computer isn't capable of keeping up. The
                          > > Winrad screen CPU bar sometimes indicates 100% and sometimes much less
                          > > so I don't really know.
                          > > P. J. Hicks, N7PXY

                          > > signature database 7104 (20120502) __________

                          > > http://www.eset.com

                        • Bruce Tanner
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                            :-) ! Great! Congratulations, John! About that neighbor... you do have a set of 'dikes' (Diagonal Cutters) don't you?

                            On 5/2/2012 1:54 PM, maramaxt wrote:

                            Hi group.

                            Yessss!!! My god this RX is amazing. I changed the I/Q from outs to ins and voila! there it was.

                            I haven't been back to sleep and have spent the last hour playing. This RX is so quiet and sensitive it blows me away. I can hear DX I wasn't even aware of with my two golden oldies, the Yaesu FRG-7700 RX and the Icom 701 RX/TX. And this is on a simple 80m long-wire antenna.

                            The HDSDR interface takes some getting used to, but it's very tweakable.

                            Thank you Tony Parks and this group for all your help and energy putting this amazing RX together - physically and via your support!

                            73 John ZL1AZS

                            PS: The thing that is disturbingly loud are the pulses from the next door neighbor's electric fence!

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                            > That is way too much CPU use, PJ. I suggest you give a try with a
                            > couple of other programs and see if they make a difference. 'SDR#'
                            > might be one... "HDSDR" another. Not sure what capability your computer
                            > has but most of these programs are using 4-8% CPU usage with my Win
                            > 7,64 bit system with about 4 gigs of memory.
                            >
                            > bet
                            >
                            > On 5/2/2012 12:31 PM, PJ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Would some one tell me the symptoms of overloading the soundcard
                            > > please. I some times get a garbled audio output that could be
                            > > overloading or just that my computer isn't capable of keeping up. The
                            > > Winrad screen CPU bar sometimes indicates 100% and sometimes much less
                            > > so I don't really know.
                            > > P. J. Hicks, N7PXY

                            > > signature database 7104 (20120502) __________

                            > > http://www.eset.com

                            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7105 (20120502) __________

                            http://www.eset.com
                          • sdrsharp
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                              For optimal image rejection you may use sdrsharp (SDR#)
                              http://sdrsharp.com

                              Youssef

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                              > :-) ! Great! Congratulations, John! About that neighbor... you do have a
                              > set of 'dikes' (Diagonal Cutters) don't you?
                              >
                              > On 5/2/2012 1:54 PM, maramaxt wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi group.
                              > >
                              > > Yessss!!! My god this RX is amazing. I changed the I/Q from outs to
                              > > ins and voila! there it was.
                              > >
                              > > I haven't been back to sleep and have spent the last hour playing.
                              > > This RX is so quiet and sensitive it blows me away. I can hear DX I
                              > > wasn't even aware of with my two golden oldies, the Yaesu FRG-7700 RX
                              > > and the Icom 701 RX/TX. And this is on a simple 80m long-wire antenna.
                              > >
                              > > The HDSDR interface takes some getting used to, but it's very tweakable.
                              > >
                              > > Thank you Tony Parks and this group for all your help and energy
                              > > putting this amazing RX together - physically and via your support!
                              > >
                              > > 73 John ZL1AZS
                              > >
                              > > PS: The thing that is disturbingly loud are the pulses from the next
                              > > door neighbor's electric fence!
                              > >
                              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                              > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Bruce Tanner <bet110@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > That is way too much CPU use, PJ. I suggest you give a try with a
                              > > > couple of other programs and see if they make a difference. 'SDR#'
                              > > > might be one... "HDSDR" another. Not sure what capability your computer
                              > > > has but most of these programs are using 4-8% CPU usage with my Win
                              > > > 7,64 bit system with about 4 gigs of memory.
                              > > >
                              > > > bet

                              > > less

                              > > signature database 7105 (20120502) __________

                              > > http://www.eset.com

                            • sv1eia
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                                Hi Youssef,

                                Are you sure for that statement?
                                By the way, what is your callsign?

                                73,
                                Christos SV1EIA

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "sdrsharp" <sdrsharp@...> wrote:

                                > For optimal image rejection you may use sdrsharp (SDR#)
                                > http://sdrsharp.com
                                >
                                > Youssef
                                >
                                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > :-) ! Great! Congratulations, John! About that neighbor... you do have a
                                > > set of 'dikes' (Diagonal Cutters) don't you?
                                > >
                                > > On 5/2/2012 1:54 PM, maramaxt wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hi group.
                                > > >
                                > > > Yessss!!! My god this RX is amazing. I changed the I/Q from outs to
                                > > > ins and voila! there it was.
                                > > >
                                > > > I haven't been back to sleep and have spent the last hour playing.
                                > > > This RX is so quiet and sensitive it blows me away. I can hear DX I
                                > > > wasn't even aware of with my two golden oldies, the Yaesu FRG-7700 RX
                                > > > and the Icom 701 RX/TX. And this is on a simple 80m long-wire antenna.
                                > > >
                                > > > The HDSDR interface takes some getting used to, but it's very tweakable.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thank you Tony Parks and this group for all your help and energy
                                > > > putting this amazing RX together - physically and via your support!
                                > > >
                                > > > 73 John ZL1AZS
                                > > >
                                > > > PS: The thing that is disturbingly loud are the pulses from the next
                                > > > door neighbor's electric fence!
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                                > > > less

                                > > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
                                > > > signature database 7105 (20120502) __________
                                > > >
                                > > > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
                                > > >
                                > > > http://www.eset.com

                              • sdrsharp
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                                  Hi Christos,

                                  I'm not licensed yet. I have developed an original algorithm that corrects IQ balances automatically. I've written a blog article on my site that explains and illustrates how it works, and it's open source.

                                  Youssef
                                  http://sdrsharp.com

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Youssef,
                                  >
                                  > Are you sure for that statement?
                                  > By the way, what is your callsign?
                                  >
                                  > 73,
                                  > Christos SV1EIA
                                  >

                                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "sdrsharp" <sdrsharp@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > For optimal image rejection you may use sdrsharp (SDR#)
                                  > > http://sdrsharp.com
                                  > >
                                  > > Youssef
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > :-) ! Great! Congratulations, John! About that neighbor... you do have a
                                  > > > set of 'dikes' (Diagonal Cutters) don't you?

                                • Bruce Tanner
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                                    John, this is trustworthy.  Not sure it will take care of that fence but it will surely work magic with any 'mirror image' issues you might have. Sure worth a try... If you decide to use it very much, I suggest making up a text file by copying and pasting the frequencies of interest so they can be easily copy and pasted back when you want them.  SDR# does not yet have a feature for saving favs but Youssef is continuing to develop it so maybe some day... If you would like to see a demo of it in action, Google: "Utube K2BET1", there are several movie clips using it located on my channel there.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                                      Sorry, folks! I did not take time to read the signature... Maybe we need to create a new 'topic line'...

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                                        Thanks Bruce - that's a thought that had crossed my mind but then the cattle may force their way into our property and cause mayhem! Trust me...you don't want to have a herd of cows in your garden :)

                                        I want to thank you for all your help Bruce, including your most recent posts. They're hugely appreciated!

                                        73, John, ZL1AZS

                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                                        > :-) ! Great! Congratulations, John! About that neighbor... you do have a
                                        > set of 'dikes' (Diagonal Cutters) don't you?
                                        >
                                        > On 5/2/2012 1:54 PM, maramaxt wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hi group.
                                        > >
                                        > > Yessss!!! My god this RX is amazing. I changed the I/Q from outs to
                                        > > ins and voila! there it was.
                                        > >
                                        > > I haven't been back to sleep and have spent the last hour playing.
                                        > > This RX is so quiet and sensitive it blows me away. I can hear DX I
                                        > > wasn't even aware of with my two golden oldies, the Yaesu FRG-7700 RX
                                        > > and the Icom 701 RX/TX. And this is on a simple 80m long-wire antenna.
                                        > >
                                        > > The HDSDR interface takes some getting used to, but it's very tweakable.
                                        > >
                                        > > Thank you Tony Parks and this group for all your help and energy
                                        > > putting this amazing RX together - physically and via your support!
                                        > >
                                        > > 73 John ZL1AZS
                                        > >
                                        > > PS: The thing that is disturbingly loud are the pulses from the next
                                        > > door neighbor's electric fence!
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                                        > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Bruce Tanner <bet110@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > That is way too much CPU use, PJ. I suggest you give a try with a
                                        > > > couple of other programs and see if they make a difference. 'SDR#'
                                        > > > might be one... "HDSDR" another. Not sure what capability your computer
                                        > > > has but most of these programs are using 4-8% CPU usage with my Win
                                        > > > 7,64 bit system with about 4 gigs of memory.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > bet

                                        > > less

                                        > > signature database 7105 (20120502) __________

                                        > > http://www.eset.com

                                      • EB4APL
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                                          John,

                                          Did you tried to engage the NB? It make wonders in impulse type noise.

                                          73 de Ignacio, EB4APL (just on the other side of the world)

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                                            Many thanks Ignacio on the other side of the world :) Much appreciated your tip. I'll try it tonight.

                                            73 - John - ZL1AZS

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 2, 2012
                                              Youssef - thank you so much for your sdrsharp info. I'll look more closely at it tonight. My god you guys are SMART to be able to design this stuff!

                                              73 - John - ZL1AZS