SoftRock_40_R kit

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2012
      Good Afternoon All,

      Several have commented recently concerning the SoftRock_40_R kit. My personal view of the kit is that I feel it has a number of positive things going for it, although granted, it does have some negative attributes. On the positive side I would list the following:

      Low cost
      Good experience with SMT soldering on a verity of SMT parts
      No USB communications issues for first time kit builder
      No additional DC power supply needed for receiver operation
      Electrical cables furnished with kit

      This afternoon when I make additional kits available on my website, I am going to try something different with the fifteen SoftRock_40_R kits that I will be offering. A generic SoftRock_40_R kit will be offered with the expectation that the kit buyer will then send me an e-mail at kb9yig@... and let me know what band or center frequency is of interest to him in my filling of his order. Hopefully this will cover the requested I have recently received for IF versions of the SoftRock_40_R kit.

      Thanks for your interest in the kits.

      73,
      Tony KB9YIG
    • KQ8M
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2012

        Did I miss the offering? I have been checking most of the day and haven't seen anything.

        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

        kq8m@...

        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

          From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony ParksSent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 2:32 PM
          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          They are currently being listed as available.

          73, Milt
          W8NUE
        • KQ8M
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1, 2012

            WoW now that's service. I hit reload in my browser and there they are.

            Tony now has kits for sale. Good luck and happy building.

            Message 5 of 21 , May 1, 2012
              Tony did I miss these earlier tonight, or have you yet to put them on your site?
              73 Charles

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

              > Good Afternoon All,
              >
              > Several have commented recently concerning the SoftRock_40_R kit. My personal view of the kit is that I feel it has a number of positive things going for it, although granted, it does have some negative attributes. On the positive side I would list the following:
              >
              > Low cost
              > Good experience with SMT soldering on a verity of SMT parts
              > No USB communications issues for first time kit builder
              > No additional DC power supply needed for receiver operation
              > Electrical cables furnished with kit
              >
              > This afternoon when I make additional kits available on my website, I am going to try something different with the fifteen SoftRock_40_R kits that I will be offering. A generic SoftRock_40_R kit will be offered with the expectation that the kit buyer will then send me an e-mail at kb9yig@... and let me know what band or center frequency is of interest to him in my filling of his order. Hopefully this will cover the requested I have recently received for IF versions of the SoftRock_40_R kit.
              >
              > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
              >
              > 73,
              > Tony KB9YIG

            • Tim Campbell
              Message 6 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                Must have missed them.  There were some about 30 minutes to an hour ago.  He still has some ensemble receivers and 6/4/2 meter receivers.

                Tim
                KB2MFS

                On May 1, 2012 6:42 PM, "g3oth" <g3oth@...> wrote:

                Tony did I miss these earlier tonight, or have you yet to put them on your site?
                73 Charles

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                > Good Afternoon All,
                >
                > Several have commented recently concerning the SoftRock_40_R kit. My personal view of the kit is that I feel it has a number of positive things going for it, although granted, it does have some negative attributes. On the positive side I would list the following:
                >
                > Low cost
                > Good experience with SMT soldering on a verity of SMT parts
                > No USB communications issues for first time kit builder
                > No additional DC power supply needed for receiver operation
                > Electrical cables furnished with kit
                >
                > This afternoon when I make additional kits available on my website, I am going to try something different with the fifteen SoftRock_40_R kits that I will be offering. A generic SoftRock_40_R kit will be offered with the expectation that the kit buyer will then send me an e-mail at kb9yig@... and let me know what band or center frequency is of interest to him in my filling of his order. Hopefully this will cover the requested I have recently received for IF versions of the SoftRock_40_R kit.
                >
                > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                >
                > 73,
                > Tony KB9YIG

              • Leroy
                Message 7 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                  DRAT!  I missed the IF kits again!

                                                                      Leroy AB7CE

                  Several have commented recently concerning the SoftRock_40_R kit. My personal view of the kit is that I feel it has a number of positive things going for it, although granted, it does have some negative attributes. On the positive side I would list the following:

                  Low cost
                  Good experience with SMT soldering on a verity of SMT parts
                  No USB communications issues for first time kit builder
                  No additional DC power supply needed for receiver operation
                  Electrical cables furnished with kit

                  This afternoon when I make additional kits available on my website, I am going to try something different with the fifteen SoftRock_40_R kits that I will be offering. A generic SoftRock_40_R kit will be offered with the expectation that the kit buyer will then send me an e-mail at mailto:kb9yig%40gmail.com and let me know what band or center frequency is of interest to him in my filling of his order. Hopefully this will cover the requested I have recently received for IF versions of the SoftRock_40_R kit.

                • landtrack@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 29, 2013
                    Hello Tony,

                    I second the FT-990 frequencies (although belatedly). I have not seen anything on your website on these, however.

                    The 47.21 MHz before roofing filter seems a choice for a wider view than the 10 kHz. I was looking at something like a 100 khz view.

                    Any status on these? The other possibility would be the 10.94 MHz IF at a more limited view, I suppose?

                    Has anyone tried tapping the IF on the FT-990, yet?

                    73 de Joe, WM9I

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, lbeugnet wrote:

                    > Hello Tony,
                    >
                    > YAESU FT-990 IF frequencies of 47.21 MHz, 10.94 MHz and 455 kHz
                    >
                    > 73 Laurent F6GOX
                    >
                    > Le 08/01/2012 14:26, Tony Parks a écrit :
                    > > Good Morning All,
                    > >
                    > > I am thinking about offering the SoftRock_40_R kit for mostly IF signal processing applications. To do that I want to go for a group of custom crystals that will provide center frequencies about 12 kHz below various popular IF center frequencies. The 12 kHz below the various IF center frequencies is appropriate for those how want to sample at 48 kHz and would give an IF spectrum view about +/-10 or 11 kHz around the IF center frequency.
                    > >
                    > > Please help me compile a list of popular IF center frequencies as I get ready to approach a custom crystal source for the crystals.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks and 73,
                    > > Tony KB9YIG

                  • w5jhjerry
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 29, 2013
                      Hi Tony,
                      Do you have the IF frequency for the Kenwood TS-590S transceiver? It is 11.374MHz for the down conversion receiver. Several people are already using SRDs as panadapters. The Softrock 40 would be ideal.
                      Jerry W5JH