SV: [softrock40] Re: Additional SoftRock kits to be offered

  • Dennis Andersen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 7:44 AM

      Hi Tom

      Just saw you stated that you never worked with smd components before, and therefore you would prefer to start with a Softrock_40_R kit.

      The 40_R kit is the cheapest kit to mess up, I agree on that. But when I’ve said that, I do think, that you get a lot more going with the Softrock Ensemble RX II.

      And regarding the difference and difficulty by building the 40_R and the Ensemble RX aren’t that hugde smd component-wise. As I remember, there actually a lot less smd components in Ensemble RX II than there are through-hole components.

      And after I build the Ensemble RX the 40_R is basically retired.

      The difference on the two are also that in the ensemble rx II you get a full band all-mode receiver with automatic bandpass filters. On the 40_R you get one band, and with a soundcard able to sample 96 kHz, you have 48 kHz to listen to. On some bands that isn’t that much. If you go with a soundcard able to sample 48 kHz, well then you’re down to 24 kHz of bandwidth. And in that you have to remember that there might be a loud noisy spike from your soundcard that take a small bit too.

      I would, with the knowledge that I have today after building those kits, buy the Ensemble RX II. It’s not harder to build smd-wise than the 40_R, and as I said in my opinion you get a lot more.

      You have some coils and transformers to build. But there are a lot of good materials on the internet about that. And to be honest with you I too started with the 40_R as a novice, never touched a smd component. But I thought that it couldn’t be that hard as all the stuff I read, so I allied me with my temp adjustable soldering iron with a small tip, and a wooden toothpick, yeah you just smiled there didn’t you J but that was how I build my first softrock.

      Now I do use my xyl’s eyebrow plucking tweezers, but beside that nothing news has changed.

      Just go ahead, buy what you would like.

      Best regards

      OZ2DA

      Dennis Andersen