Re: SoftRock RXTX Ensemble Transceiver

  • falcongsr
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 1:50 PM
      Charles,

      The RX Ensemble is a little different than the RXTX. It is indeed a 160-10m general coverage receiver.

      When constructing the RX Ensemble, you will actually build four different band-pass filter networks. Each filter network covers a part of the 160-10m frequency range. The RX Ensemble contains analog switches that automatically switch between these band-pass filters when you tune a specific frequency.

      73,
      Joe
      KJ6QBA

    • dsanders@alpinepowersystems.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30 4:15 PM
        I want an RX Ensemble.....let me know what I need to do to purchase one. I'm purchasing this for my high school radio group.

        Thanks and 73,
        Dale WD4IFR

        The RX Ensemble is a little different than the RXTX. It is indeed a 160-10m general coverage receiver.

        When constructing the RX Ensemble, you will actually build four different band-pass filter networks. Each filter network covers a part of the 160-10m frequency range. The RX Ensemble contains analog switches that automatically switch between these band-pass filters when you tune a specific frequency.

        73,
        Joe
        KJ6QBA

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "hoosier_trader75" <hoosier_trader75@...> wrote:

        > I have a follow up question concerning the RX Ensemble. While reading some of the building notes before purchasing a kit. I became a little confused. Is the RX Ensemble a general coverage receiver for 10-160 or dose you have to use one of the four different optional "super bands" for example 10/12/15 bands?
        >
        > Thank You,
        > Charles
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "falcongsr" <falcongsr@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sorry I forgot to mention there are other components that affect the frequency of operation that I didn't mention. (C27, L4, C39, etc) Be sure to follow the build instructions carefully!
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "falcongsr" <falcongsr@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Charles,
        > > >
        > > > No, the RXTX is not a general coverage receiver. The antenna immediately goes through a band-pass filter that restricts the frequency of operation to whatever range you build it to. This works in both directions transmit and receive.
        > > >
        > > > That being said, I have accidentally used my 40/30/20 RXTX to monitor 80 and 160 without realizing it. I did see a lot of images when monitoring those frequencies, which is when I realized I was listening out of band.
        > > >
        > > > See http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/05_rf.htm
        > > >
        > > > L2,L3,C24,C25,C26 determine the bands that your RXTX will operate.
        > > >
        > > > 73s
        > > > Joe KJ6QBA

      • R. R. (Robby) Robson
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30 4:45 PM
          2 hours ago, Tony posted the following:
          Additional circuit boards are on order, but I will be able to offer some kits tomorrow evening from my present stock of circuit boards.  Kits to be offered Tuesday evening on my website will include five RXTX Ensemble kits, twenty RX Ensemble II kits, fifteen 6m/4m/2m RX Ensemble kits, and ten SoftRock_40_R kits.

          I strongly urge you to camp out at www.kb9yig.com (starting now) and be ready to pounce with your PayPal account in hand!

          On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM, <dsanders@...> wrote:

          I want an RX Ensemble.....let me know what I need to do to purchase one. I'm purchasing this for my high school radio group.

          Thanks and 73,
          Dale WD4IFR

          The RX Ensemble is a little different than the RXTX. It is indeed a 160-10m general coverage receiver.

          When constructing the RX Ensemble, you will actually build four different band-pass filter networks. Each filter network covers a part of the 160-10m frequency range. The RX Ensemble contains analog switches that automatically switch between these band-pass filters when you tune a specific frequency.

          73,
          Joe
          KJ6QBA

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "hoosier_trader75" <hoosier_trader75@...> wrote:

          > I have a follow up question concerning the RX Ensemble. While reading some of the building notes before purchasing a kit. I became a little confused. Is the RX Ensemble a general coverage receiver for 10-160 or dose you have to use one of the four different optional "super bands" for example 10/12/15 bands?
          >
          > Thank You,
          > Charles
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "falcongsr" <falcongsr@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sorry I forgot to mention there are other components that affect the frequency of operation that I didn't mention. (C27, L4, C39, etc) Be sure to follow the build instructions carefully!
          > >
          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "falcongsr" <falcongsr@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Charles,
          > > >
          > > > No, the RXTX is not a general coverage receiver. The antenna immediately goes through a band-pass filter that restricts the frequency of operation to whatever range you build it to. This works in both directions transmit and receive.
          > > >
          > > > That being said, I have accidentally used my 40/30/20 RXTX to monitor 80 and 160 without realizing it. I did see a lot of images when monitoring those frequencies, which is when I realized I was listening out of band.
          > > >
          > > > See http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/05_rf.htm
          > > >
          > > > L2,L3,C24,C25,C26 determine the bands that your RXTX will operate.
          > > >
          > > > 73s
          > > > Joe KJ6QBA

          Cheers,
          Robby