Re: [softrock40] Made a QSO with SDR exciter

  • Terry Fox
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      Thanks Bill.  I got the Tx control via DTR working before the QSO, but I had two other issues - both related to using a laptop on my bench.

      The first issue is having to plug and unplug the audio out from laptop sound card to exciter.  In receive I needed it unplugged to hear the receive signal on the laptop speakers.  In transmit, I needed to plug it in so the IF audio gets to the exciter.  I have two sound cards in the laptop, the internal one and an Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA card.  I use the Audigy for receiving, but I cannot seem to get the PowerSDR to use the Audigy for transmit.  Once I figure that out, I no longer need to change the cable, and can use the internal sound card for hearing the receiver.

      The second issue is that once I used COM1 for the PTT, I couldn't get PowerSDR to also use COM1 for a key input.  Therefore, I had to use keyboard typing for the QSO.  This leads to a carrier always on whenever the keyboard buffer is empty (or if Iambic is enabled, continuous dots and dashes being transmitted).  Can one use the same COM port for both PTT out and keyer in?  I haven't figured out that magic yet.

      I admit that while I printed out the over 200 pages of PowerSDR manual, I only read a minimum to get it running so far.  I am reading more as I can now, however.

      Thanks for the response, and thanks for helping make this a fun project.
      Terry
      WB4JFI

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        Bill, could you provide some guidance? Thanks in advance for helping
        with this. I am busy digesting the SDR-1000 manual, but can no
        longer transmit properly. Feel free to communicate directly
        (tfox@...) if you think this is off-topic here.

        I've looked through the SDR-100 manual now, and am still puzzled. I
        have gone backwards, in that I can't seem to change the transmit
        frequency anymore. I am using the Soft Rock exciter, not an SDR-1000.

        1. After playing a lot with the sound card controls, it appears that
        changing sound card input/output/mixer selections only affects the
        SDR software the next time PowerSDR is started. Is that correct,
        that these selections cannot happen "on the fly"?

        2. Is there any way to use the same COM port for both PTT out and
        keyer input?

        3. Is there a way to select one sound card for the IF/RF (tx & rx
        audio), and a different sound card for receive audio to speakers (and
        mic input for eventual SSB)? Would VAC enable me to do that? I have
        an Audigy 4 ZS Notebook (PCMCIA card) for RF sampling, and the
        motherboard sound card could be used for listening to receive audio.
        I haven't messed with VAC yet. That would avoid having to plu &
        unplug stuff between Tx and Rx.

        4. After my first QSO, I haven't had any more luck. It appears that
        no matter where in the 48kHz band I select to listen, the transmit
        audio is the same tone as the TUN tone. I thought it had been
        changing frequency, but now it's not. This is verified with a scope
        and listening on a separate rig. Both the DDS and VFO locks are
        off. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

        I think that's it for now.
        Thanks again.
        Terry
        WB4JFI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Fox" <wb4jfi@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Bill. I got the Tx control via DTR working before the QSO,
        but I had two other issues - both related to using a laptop on my
        bench.

        > The first issue is having to plug and unplug the audio out from
        laptop sound card to exciter. In receive I needed it unplugged to
        hear the receive signal on the laptop speakers. In transmit, I
        needed to plug it in so the IF audio gets to the exciter. I have two
        sound cards in the laptop, the internal one and an Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA
        card. I use the Audigy for receiving, but I cannot seem to get the
        PowerSDR to use the Audigy for transmit. Once I figure that out, I
        no longer need to change the cable, and can use the internal sound
        card for hearing the receiver.

        > The second issue is that once I used COM1 for the PTT, I couldn't
        get PowerSDR to also use COM1 for a key input. Therefore, I had to
        use keyboard typing for the QSO. This leads to a carrier always on
        whenever the keyboard buffer is empty (or if Iambic is enabled,
        continuous dots and dashes being transmitted). Can one use the same
        COM port for both PTT out and keyer in? I haven't figured out that
        magic yet.

        > I admit that while I printed out the over 200 pages of PowerSDR
        manual, I only read a minimum to get it running so far. I am reading
        more as I can now, however.

        > Thanks for the response, and thanks for helping make this a fun
        project.
        > Terry
        > WB4JFI

      • Bill Tracey
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
          Comments in line below.

          At 07:40 PM 10/2/2006, Terry wrote:
          >Bill, could you provide some guidance? Thanks in advance for helping
          >with this. I am busy digesting the SDR-1000 manual, but can no
          >longer transmit properly. Feel free to communicate directly
          >(tfox@...) if you think this is off-topic here.
          >
          > I've looked through the SDR-100 manual now, and am still puzzled. I
          >have gone backwards, in that I can't seem to change the transmit
          >frequency anymore. I am using the Soft Rock exciter, not an SDR-1000.
          >
          >1. After playing a lot with the sound card controls, it appears that
          >changing sound card input/output/mixer selections only affects the
          >SDR software the next time PowerSDR is started. Is that correct,
          >that these selections cannot happen "on the fly"?

          Don't really know. I'd think hitting the Power button on the console would
          cause it to change sound devices.

          >2. Is there any way to use the same COM port for both PTT out and
          >keyer input?

          I think it should work, but I've never set it up myself so cannot say for
          sure. Will try and set it up here and fix the code if it can't be done.

          >3. Is there a way to select one sound card for the IF/RF (tx & rx
          >audio), and a different sound card for receive audio to speakers (and
          >mic input for eventual SSB)? Would VAC enable me to do that? I have
          >an Audigy 4 ZS Notebook (PCMCIA card) for RF sampling, and the
          >motherboard sound card could be used for listening to receive audio.
          >I haven't messed with VAC yet. That would avoid having to plu &
          >unplug stuff between Tx and Rx.

          I think this can be done with VAC. Quite sure it cannot be done without it.

          >4. After my first QSO, I haven't had any more luck. It appears that
          >no matter where in the 48kHz band I select to listen, the transmit
          >audio is the same tone as the TUN tone. I thought it had been
          >changing frequency, but now it's not. This is verified with a scope
          >and listening on a separate rig. Both the DDS and VFO locks are
          >off. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

          No idea on this one -- any chance the hardware configuration has changed
          and the code thinks it has an SDR 1000 attached?

          >I think that's it for now.
          >Thanks again.
          >Terry
          >WB4JFI
        • Terry
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
            Thank you for the very quick response.

            Here is what I just found out regarding tx frequency setting. If I
            just tune in a receive signal, the transmit audio does not change
            frequency. Probably a good thing, in tha it prevents small receive
            tuning changes to afec the transmit frequency as well. I had been
            tuning in a station on receive, then hitting MOX to respond to their
            CQ. That doesn't work, as the Tx freq is wherever you left it.

            In order to move the transmit freq to match the newly tuned-in Rx
            freq, I must first select one of the pre-canned messages to send (CWX
            page), then hit stop. Only then does the tx frequency move. Also,
            the KEY button on the CWX page does not key the transmitter, I must
            hit the MOX button of the main screen to transmit on the proper freq.

            Regarding the PTT & keyer: Under the CAT control, I have selected
            COM1 and DTR (I can change to RTS). Then, when I go to the DSP tab,
            keyer subtab, and try to select Com1 uner connections/primary, I get
            a message saying "Primary Keyer Port [COM1] could not be opened". If
            I try to select COM1 under secondary, I get a message box
            saying "Comport for keyer program could not be opened". My wish
            would be to allow the PTT and both iambic key paddle connections to
            be on the same COM port.

            I really apologize if this is normal, and I am not using the software
            right. Please take the above as being helpful, and identifying
            potential issues.

            Terry

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@...> wrote:

            > Comments in line below.
            >
            > At 07:40 PM 10/2/2006, Terry wrote:
            > >Bill, could you provide some guidance? Thanks in advance for
            helping
            > >with this. I am busy digesting the SDR-1000 manual, but can no
            > >longer transmit properly. Feel free to communicate directly
            > >(tfox@...) if you think this is off-topic here.
            > >
            > > I've looked through the SDR-100 manual now, and am still
            puzzled. I
            > >have gone backwards, in that I can't seem to change the transmit
            > >frequency anymore. I am using the Soft Rock exciter, not an SDR-
            1000.

            > >1. After playing a lot with the sound card controls, it appears
            that
            > >changing sound card input/output/mixer selections only affects the
            > >SDR software the next time PowerSDR is started. Is that correct,
            > >that these selections cannot happen "on the fly"?
            >
            > Don't really know. I'd think hitting the Power button on the
            console would
            > cause it to change sound devices.
            >

            > >2. Is there any way to use the same COM port for both PTT out and
            > >keyer input?
            >
            > I think it should work, but I've never set it up myself so cannot
            say for
            > sure. Will try and set it up here and fix the code if it can't be
            done.

            > >3. Is there a way to select one sound card for the IF/RF (tx & rx
            > >audio), and a different sound card for receive audio to speakers
            (and
            > >mic input for eventual SSB)? Would VAC enable me to do that? I
            have
            > >an Audigy 4 ZS Notebook (PCMCIA card) for RF sampling, and the
            > >motherboard sound card could be used for listening to receive
            audio.
            > >I haven't messed with VAC yet. That would avoid having to plu &
            > >unplug stuff between Tx and Rx.
            >
            > I think this can be done with VAC. Quite sure it cannot be done
            without it.

            > >4. After my first QSO, I haven't had any more luck. It appears
            that
            > >no matter where in the 48kHz band I select to listen, the transmit
            > >audio is the same tone as the TUN tone. I thought it had been
            > >changing frequency, but now it's not. This is verified with a
            scope
            > >and listening on a separate rig. Both the DDS and VFO locks are
            > >off. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?
            >
            > No idea on this one -- any chance the hardware configuration has
            changed
            > and the code thinks it has an SDR 1000 attached?
            >

            > >I think that's it for now.
            > >Thanks again.
            > >Terry
            > >WB4JFI

          • Bill Tracey
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
              Hi Terry,

              No need for apologies -- you're finding glitches I need to go hunt down.

              The xmit frequency thing makes a bit of sense to me now. I'm setting the
              xmit frequency in the MOX button handling code - so am somewhat confused
              why that is not working. Will have to dig into the code -- sounds like
              there's a path thru there I did not catch.

              PTT & Keyer needing to be under different COM ports -- looks like I need
              to make parts of the code aware of each other. The keyer code wants to
              open and control the port and the CAT part of the code has already done
              it. Will add it to the list of things to fix. I too would like to get
              the PTT out to the SR and keyer connections on the same comm port.

              Regards,

              Bill (kd5tfd)