CW tone seems to be breaking up on Rocky

  • kh2br
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2012
      RXTX Ensemble cw note is breaking up on Rocky. With the head set pluged into the line out on the computer I hear the same thing. It seems like processes in the computer are causing the interuptions. Is this common? Is there something that can be done to prevent this from happening? I am ready to build a external transmitter to get around that.
      Memory is 2GB, cpu is a 3.2 g pentium, sound card is motherboard realtek and same thing with external sound blaster XFI. This is very disturbing since I am a 100% only cw op.

      Robert, KH2BR
    • David Turnbull
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2012
        All the SDR sound cards for a single rigging needs to share a clock.  Rocky is especially finicky about this.  You'll see a lot of folks using delta-44 sound cards because those voids and pops will transmit where they shouldn't as well.

        73 David AE9RB

        On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM, kh2br <rholsti@...> wrote:

        RXTX Ensemble cw note is breaking up on Rocky. With the head set pluged into the line out on the computer I hear the same thing. It seems like processes in the computer are causing the interuptions. Is this common? Is there something that can be done to prevent this from happening? I am ready to build a external transmitter to get around that.
        Memory is 2GB, cpu is a 3.2 g pentium, sound card is motherboard realtek and same thing with external sound blaster XFI. This is very disturbing since I am a 100% only cw op.

        Robert, KH2BR

      • w2hww
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
          I had this happen when I was running GenLog at the same time as Rocky on the same CPU (a dual core Atom). When I killed GenLog, Rocky returned to good CW. Seemed to be some interaction from the other processes/application running at the same time affect Rocky's timing.

          Tony
          W2HWW

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kh2br" <rholsti@...> wrote:

          > RXTX Ensemble cw note is breaking up on Rocky. With the head set pluged into the line out on the computer I hear the same thing. It seems like processes in the computer are causing the interuptions. Is this common? Is there something that can be done to prevent this from happening? I am ready to build a external transmitter to get around that.
          > Memory is 2GB, cpu is a 3.2 g pentium, sound card is motherboard realtek and same thing with external sound blaster XFI. This is very disturbing since I am a 100% only cw op.
          >
          > Robert, KH2BR

        • sdrsharp
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
            I would be interested to see how SDRSharp performs on Atom netbooks, especially revision 175. Can someone give it a try and tell me please?

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w2hww" <aploski@...> wrote:

            > I had this happen when I was running GenLog at the same time as Rocky on the same CPU (a dual core Atom). When I killed GenLog, Rocky returned to good CW. Seemed to be some interaction from the other processes/application running at the same time affect Rocky's timing.
            >
            > Tony
            > W2HWW
            >

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kh2br" <rholsti@> wrote:
            > >
            > > RXTX Ensemble cw note is breaking up on Rocky. With the head set pluged into the line out on the computer I hear the same thing. It seems like processes in the computer are causing the interuptions. Is this common? Is there something that can be done to prevent this from happening? I am ready to build a external transmitter to get around that.
            > > Memory is 2GB, cpu is a 3.2 g pentium, sound card is motherboard realtek and same thing with external sound blaster XFI. This is very disturbing since I am a 100% only cw op.
            > >
            > > Robert, KH2BR

          • Bruce Tanner
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
              I have one and will give it a go a little later, Yussef.  Maybe someone will be quicker, if so, I will be the back up player.

              bet

              On 4/2/2012 9:58 AM, sdrsharp wrote:

              I would be interested to see how SDRSharp performs on Atom netbooks, especially revision 175. Can someone give it a try and tell me please?

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w2hww" <aploski@...> wrote:

              > I had this happen when I was running GenLog at the same time as Rocky on the same CPU (a dual core Atom). When I killed GenLog, Rocky returned to good CW. Seemed to be some interaction from the other processes/application running at the same time affect Rocky's timing.
              >
              > Tony
              > W2HWW
              >

              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kh2br" <rholsti@> wrote:
              > >
              > > RXTX Ensemble cw note is breaking up on Rocky. With the head set pluged into the line out on the computer I hear the same thing. It seems like processes in the computer are causing the interuptions. Is this common? Is there something that can be done to prevent this from happening? I am ready to build a external transmitter to get around that.
              > > Memory is 2GB, cpu is a 3.2 g pentium, sound card is motherboard realtek and same thing with external sound blaster XFI. This is very disturbing since I am a 100% only cw op.
              > >
              > > Robert, KH2BR

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7020 (20120402) __________

              http://www.eset.com
            • kh2br
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                Thanks for the replies. Right now the softrock is put away and will give it one more shot today. My PC does not have pci slots. I thought it would be a good idea to get rid of the big box. :)
                Is SDRSharp ready for TX now? Is the file ready to download?
                I wonder if setting rocky priority to high in task manager as well as the sound cards to high would would end the break-up of the cw tone.
                If you hear a lousey cw signal today, it could be me.

                Thanks and 73's
                Robert KH2BR

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                > I have one and will give it a go a little later, Yussef. Maybe someone
                > will be quicker, if so, I will be the back up player.
                >
                > bet
                >

                > On 4/2/2012 9:58 AM, sdrsharp wrote:
                > >
                > > I would be interested to see how SDRSharp performs on Atom netbooks,
                > > especially revision 175. Can someone give it a try and tell me please?
                > >
                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "w2hww" <aploski@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I had this happen when I was running GenLog at the same time as
                > > Rocky on the same CPU (a dual core Atom). When I killed GenLog, Rocky
                > > returned to good CW. Seemed to be some interaction from the other
                > > processes/application running at the same time affect Rocky's timing.
                > > >
                > > > Tony
                > > > W2HWW
                > > >

                > > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                > > pluged into the line out on the computer I hear the same thing. It
                > > seems like processes in the computer are causing the interuptions. Is
                > > this common? Is there something that can be done to prevent this from
                > > happening? I am ready to build a external transmitter to get around that.
                > > realtek and same thing with external sound blaster XFI. This is very
                > > disturbing since I am a 100% only cw op.

                > > signature database 7020 (20120402) __________

                > > http://www.eset.com

              • sdrsharp
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                  Not yet. Only RX for the moment, but I'm working on it.
                  How much cpu does Rocky use on that pc? Just to be sure of the nature of the problem, try to get two cpu measures: one with visible main window and one when reduced. Rocky not being known as CPU hog, I'm suspecting the graphics.

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kh2br" <rholsti@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the replies. Right now the softrock is put away and will give it one more shot today. My PC does not have pci slots. I thought it would be a good idea to get rid of the big box. :)
                  > Is SDRSharp ready for TX now? Is the file ready to download?
                  > I wonder if setting rocky priority to high in task manager as well as the sound cards to high would would end the break-up of the cw tone.
                  > If you hear a lousey cw signal today, it could be me.
                  >
                  > Thanks and 73's
                  > Robert KH2BR
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have one and will give it a go a little later, Yussef. Maybe someone
                  > > will be quicker, if so, I will be the back up player.
                  > >
                  > > bet
                  > >

                  > > On 4/2/2012 9:58 AM, sdrsharp wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I would be interested to see how SDRSharp performs on Atom netbooks,
                  > > > especially revision 175. Can someone give it a try and tell me please?
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                  > > > Rocky on the same CPU (a dual core Atom). When I killed GenLog, Rocky
                  > > > returned to good CW. Seemed to be some interaction from the other
                  > > > processes/application running at the same time affect Rocky's timing.

                  > > > pluged into the line out on the computer I hear the same thing. It
                  > > > seems like processes in the computer are causing the interuptions. Is
                  > > > this common? Is there something that can be done to prevent this from
                  > > > happening? I am ready to build a external transmitter to get around that.
                  > > > realtek and same thing with external sound blaster XFI. This is very
                  > > > disturbing since I am a 100% only cw op.

                  > > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
                  > > > signature database 7020 (20120402) __________
                  > > >
                  > > > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.eset.com

                • Bruce Tanner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                    I agree that the issue has to do with graphics.  I have not used 'Rocky' in some time and mostly it is because of that issue. I am using a pretty speedy CPU which should not offer a timing issue at least with CPU usage. The conflict in Rocky seems intermittent in some way but when it happens my graphics go crazy and he only way out of it is to shut it down and do a re-load. BTW, I also use a 'G-Force', gaming, graphics card with its own memory cache.

                    bet

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                      Playing with task manager setting priority to high on rocky or sound process has no effect. The problem is illusive. Other windows open does have some effect, so I guess it is a graphics problem causing it. Guess its time to down grade the graphics or settings.

                    • sdrsharp
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                        Running default Windows drivers may cause this kind of problems. Try installing the OEM drivers. You can find them either in the manufacturer website or the accompanying CD.

                      • Bruce Tanner
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                          If you don't need the TX side of Rocky, I highly recommend the newer 'SDR#' software. It really does a good job.. but for now only RX.  Youssef has indicated that he is working on a TX feature at the present.

                          bet

                          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7021 (20120402) __________

                          http://www.eset.com
                        • John Williams
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                            I run vnc on my system to access it from remote laptop in my house. I found out that shutting off real time virus checking helped quite a bit. YMMV but something to try...

                            John - ke5ssh

                            --

                            John Williams

                            KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                            WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                          • Bruce Tanner
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                              As I recall, it seems that I saw some correlation with the router activity too. I thought it might be driver conflicts of some sort but was never able to isolate the issue.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                                When I think I have fixed the problem, it works very good, then It starts happening again. Rather then giving up, I will keep pressing on. Some process in the computer is causing the breakup but it has to be consistant to be able to find it. When I changed screen resolution to 800x600 it quit breaking up for quite a while then started in again.

                              • warrenallgyer
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                                  I am using RXTX Ensemble (3 of them!) with an MSI netbook and Rocky 3.7. I get this issue if I try to use 96 KHz audio but it is clean with 48. This is using the internal Realtek audio. Interesting that the 96 KHz seems to display just fine but the audio breaks up. And.... testing the transmit, it seems to roll off at 48. When I go higher than about 25 KHz from center transmit power falls off rapidly.

                                  Warren Allgyer
                                  W8TOD/BG1
                                  Stealth Amateur Radio from Beijing
                                  CW and BPSK31 on 40/17/15/12/10 Meters

                                • Chris Wilson
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012

                                    > Playing with task manager setting priority to high on rocky or
                                    > sound process has no effect. The problem is illusive. Other windows
                                    > open does have some effect, so I guess it is a graphics problem
                                    > causing it. Guess its time to down grade the graphics or settings.

                                    What is the operating system? I find in Windows XP Pro that by going into
                                    Control Panel - System - Advanced - Performance - Settings and setting
                                    for maximum performance with minimal bells and whistles, peripherals
                                    run much more reliably. Maybe worth checking if your OS has this
                                    setting available? Good luck with it.

                                    03/04/2012 11:56

                                    --
                                    Best Regards,