OK, Problem narrowed down. Little more help needed.

  • n4rmt
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
      I have the RX ensemble II kit working flawlessly in powerSDR stock version. I canot get tuning capability with powerSDR/IF version, though. Strange. I'd like to get this version going so I can use Ham Radio Deluxe to control my rig, and pSDR/IF to control HRD. In the pSDR/IF version, I am receiving, but it is stuck in one spot, and I cant tune. In stock pSDR from flexradio, it tunes and receives flawlessly.
    • Tony Estep
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
        On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM, n4rmt <n4rmt@...> wrote:

        ...I canot get tuning capability with powerSDR/IF version, though.

        ===============
        Well, PSDR-IF does not have any way to tune the SDR. You set the SDR to a fixed frequency, then tune the front-end radio. This is done via the CAT interface in PSDR-IF, which sends tuning (and other) commands to the main radio. The instructions on the LP-Pan website explain how to configure PSDR-IF.

        Tony KT0NY

        --
        http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352
      • n4rmt
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
          In the setup for the program, there is the same SDR 1000 with usb adapter that is in the regular version. Why would it not tune an so570 just like pSDR does? I'm very familiar with how psdr/if works. I used it with my 850 for a year.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM, n4rmt <n4rmt@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >
          > > ...I canot get tuning capability with powerSDR/IF version, though.
          > >
          > ===============
          > Well, PSDR-IF does not have any way to tune the SDR. You set the SDR to a
          > fixed frequency, then tune the front-end radio. This is done via the CAT
          > interface in PSDR-IF, which sends tuning (and other) commands to the main
          > radio. The instructions on the LP-Pan website explain how to configure
          > PSDR-IF.
          >
          > Tony KT0NY
          >

          > --
          > http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
            Because PSDR-IF version is meant for a fixed centre frequency, no need to tune the SDR receiver.

            As I said earlier, best to use the available customised PSDR versions meant for the SoftRock hardware.

            The native 'Flex' versions do not necessarily support the SoftRock hardware. The USB option for the SDR-1000 could well simply be a legacy USB to serial adaptor?

            73, Bob G8VOI

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
              The native version is the one I am using that works perfectly. Ok then, how can I use vpse to control my rig and psdr with HRD? Is this possible if maybe I set up a splitter?

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
                On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM, n4rmt <n4rmt@...> wrote:

                ... how can I use vpse to control my rig and psdr with HRD? Is this possible if maybe I set up a splitter?

                =========================
                The easiest way is to use LP-Bridge. It performs the functions of a splitter and traffic director for the various CAT signals. It is possible to use PSDR-IF without LP-Bridge but nearly all PSDR users use it. The instructions for setting up LP-Bridge and PSDR-IF are on the LP-Pan website. PSDR-IF does not send signals to an Si570 because it is designed to work with an SDR that is driven by the IF of a front-end receiver. When you tune the frequency, the software inside PSDR-IF does not tell the SDR anything. There is no code in there to talk to an Si570. Rather, it sends frequency change data out to the main receiver via CAT. This is explained more fully in the PSDR-IF docs on the LP-Pan site.

                Tony KT0NY

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
                  Ok, scratch psdr/if. Since psdr 2.3.5 works so well I'll stick with that. So there's no way I can use vpse to talk from HRD to my rig and psdr?

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@...> wrote:

                  > On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM, n4rmt <n4rmt@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >
                  > > ... how can I use vpse to control my rig and psdr with HRD? Is this
                  > > possible if maybe I set up a splitter?
                  > >
                  > =========================
                  > The easiest way is to use LP-Bridge. It performs the functions of a
                  > splitter and traffic director for the various CAT signals. It is possible
                  > to use PSDR-IF without LP-Bridge but nearly all PSDR users use it. The
                  > instructions for setting up LP-Bridge and PSDR-IF are on the LP-Pan
                  > website. PSDR-IF does not send signals to an Si570 because it is designed
                  > to work with an SDR that is driven by the IF of a front-end receiver. When
                  > you tune the frequency, the software inside PSDR-IF does not tell the SDR
                  > anything. There is no code in there to talk to an Si570. Rather, it sends
                  > frequency change data out to the main receiver via CAT. This is explained
                  > more fully in the PSDR-IF docs on the LP-Pan site.
                  >
                  > Tony KT0NY
                  >
                  > --
                  > http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

                • Milt Cram
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
                    On 4/1/2012 3:15 PM, n4rmt wrote:
                    > Ok, scratch psdr/if. Since psdr 2.3.5 works so well I'll stick with that. So there's no way I can use vpse to talk from HRD to my rig and psdr?
                    >
                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep<esteptony@...> wrote:
                    >> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM, n4rmt<n4rmt@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> **
                    >>>
                    >>> ... how can I use vpse to control my rig and psdr with HRD? Is this
                    >>> possible if maybe I set up a splitter?
                    >>>
                    >> =========================
                    >> The easiest way is to use LP-Bridge. It performs the functions of a
                    >> splitter and traffic director for the various CAT signals. It is possible
                    >> to use PSDR-IF without LP-Bridge but nearly all PSDR users use it. The
                    >> instructions for setting up LP-Bridge and PSDR-IF are on the LP-Pan
                    >> website. PSDR-IF does not send signals to an Si570 because it is designed
                    >> to work with an SDR that is driven by the IF of a front-end receiver. When
                    >> you tune the frequency, the software inside PSDR-IF does not tell the SDR
                    >> anything. There is no code in there to talk to an Si570. Rather, it sends
                    >> frequency change data out to the main receiver via CAT. This is explained
                    >> more fully in the PSDR-IF docs on the LP-Pan site.
                    >>
                    >> Tony KT0NY
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

                    Have you considered using PowerSDR-IQ from SV1EIA?

                    It seems to work well with the RXTX Ensemble.

                    73, Milt
                    W8NUE
                  • skarbows
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
                      What HF radio do you have? If you have a Kenwood 940 or 950, use CFGSR to set the softrock freq to 8830. PSDR-IF doesn't need to tune the softrock, it needs to tune the Kenwood HF radio. If you have a Elecraft or an unsupported (by PSDR-IF) then I'm sorry, you are on your own.

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
                        Never mind. Thanks, everyone.