Another newbie... IF-SDR/DSP concept

  • Jim A - K9GVF
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28 6:28 PM
      I saw mention of a multi-crystal/IF kit... real or speculative...

      My interest is in SDR/DSP-enhanced receive, extracting the best readable signal from the RF and ambient/man-made noise (anticipating that my 100w or 600w on HF TX won't be significantly affected by DSP or not.)

      I've followed a variety of IF and speaker-level DSP noise reduction toys, but they are pre-coded and not subject to 'PC' software/sound card DSP processing, and are disappointing.

      Admittedly the front end of my TS-440SAT, TS-570S, IC-706, or FT-857 may not provide the optimum 'clean' signal for SDR/DSP extraction... but the concept of an IF-tap-off for the average solder/wiring capable operator is compelling.

      The next up-level 'hack' is to displace the native Rx section of the rig (s) with SDR/DSP rather than going "old school" with the Tx/Rx antenna switch, etc.

      So, if I have the option to hack into my rig(s) for an IF 'tap'/insertion to audio, re-crystal/tweak a DSP/SDR module, and hear a LOT better... I'd pay for it - before I'd spend $2000 on a top-end HF rig just to hear the DX I'm (casually) seeking.

      If such a kit does or would exist... serial #1 is mine!
    • Rick Simpson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28 7:03 PM
        I had much the same idea. I have a Heath SB-1400 transceiver -- an oldie-but-goodie with a nice 100W SSB transmitter and a receiver that was state of the art 25 years ago. What it needs is a tap into its' IF and an isolation amplifier to match the high impedance of the IF circuitry to a 50 ohm input of an SDR tuned to the IF frequency around 8Mhz. The problem is finding a tap point in the IF and building an interface to the SDR.

        Rick
        K3IND

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28 7:26 PM
          Maybe not a tap point but a tuned pickup coil would be a better option...?