RE: [softrock40] Any suggestions of a soundcard for Dell Dimension 2400?

  • MIKE DURKIN
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      For Rx or Rx/Tx?

      Do you really need 96khz of bandwidth or will 24khz work for you?

      Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Any suggestions of a soundcard for Dell Dimension
        2400?

        > Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my
        > Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just
        > got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

        Not easy to answer.
        It may work, most do.
        But the right one depends on what you want to do. You may not know that
        until you have had experience.
        You will most likely require two sound systems to work a RX/TX. A USB device
        might suit you. A Delta 44 4 in, 4 out is a fair choice for an internal
        card.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • David.Lopez
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
          Why would you need to 2 systems?  Sound cards have MIC and Speaker terminals.  That should be good enough for TX and RX.  Isn't it?

          On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

          > Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my
          > Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just
          > got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

          Not easy to answer.
          It may work, most do.
          But the right one depends on what you want to do. You may not know that
          until you have had experience.
          You will most likely require two sound systems to work a RX/TX. A USB device
          might suit you. A Delta 44 4 in, 4 out is a fair choice for an internal
          card.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • VA3UE
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
            Your Mic input is mono. You need stereo in for the I and the Q signals. If you have a Line in ad Line out you could be ok.

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "David.Lopez" <brewgod23@...> wrote:

            > Why would you need to 2 systems? Sound cards have MIC and Speaker
            > terminals. That should be good enough for TX and RX. Isn't it?
            >
            > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **

          • Ken Chase
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
              One for mike and speaker, another for IQ.

              Ken VA3ABN

              Why would you need to 2 systems?  Sound cards have MIC and Speaker terminals.  That should be good enough for TX and RX.  Isn't it?

              On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

              > Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my
              > Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just
              > got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

              Not easy to answer.
              It may work, most do.
              But the right one depends on what you want to do. You may not know that
              until you have had experience.
              You will most likely require two sound systems to work a RX/TX. A USB device
              might suit you. A Delta 44 4 in, 4 out is a fair choice for an internal
              card.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • Jeff Kelly
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
                Mic in
                Speaker out

                IQ in
                IQ out

                Jeff

                Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 5:19 PM

                Why would you need to 2 systems?  Sound cards have MIC and Speaker terminals.  That should be good enough for TX and RX.  Isn't it?

                On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                > Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my
                > Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just
                > got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

                Not easy to answer.
                It may work, most do.
                But the right one depends on what you want to do. You may not know that
                until you have had experience.
                You will most likely require two sound systems to work a RX/TX. A USB device
                might suit you. A Delta 44 4 in, 4 out is a fair choice for an internal
                card.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ

              • cbayona.cb
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
                  It depends on your mode for many digital modes you need a stereo line
                  input to connect the SoftRock outputs into the PC for processing and
                  a stereo line out to drive the transmitter on the SoftRock. For phone
                  or some digital mode where you want to listen you need an additional
                  input for the microphone and a set of outputs for the speaker

                  But with many digital modes one sound card is good enough.

                  At 04:19 PM 3/2/2012, you wrote:

                  >Why would you need to 2 systems? Sound cards have MIC and Speaker
                  >terminals. That should be good enough for TX and RX. Isn't it?
                  >
                  >On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan
                  ><<mailto:alan4alan@...>alan4alan@...> wrote:

                  Cecil
                  k5nwa