Any suggestions of a soundcard for Dell Dimension 2400?

  • ve3jau
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

      73
    • MIKE DURKIN
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        For Rx or Rx/Tx?

        Do you really need 96khz of bandwidth or will 24khz work for you?

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
            Why would you need to 2 systems?  Sound cards have MIC and Speaker terminals.  That should be good enough for TX and RX.  Isn't it?

            On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            > Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my
            > Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just
            > got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

            Not easy to answer.
            It may work, most do.
            But the right one depends on what you want to do. You may not know that
            until you have had experience.
            You will most likely require two sound systems to work a RX/TX. A USB device
            might suit you. A Delta 44 4 in, 4 out is a fair choice for an internal
            card.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

          • VA3UE
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
              Your Mic input is mono. You need stereo in for the I and the Q signals. If you have a Line in ad Line out you could be ok.

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "David.Lopez" <brewgod23@...> wrote:

              > Why would you need to 2 systems? Sound cards have MIC and Speaker
              > terminals. That should be good enough for TX and RX. Isn't it?
              >
              > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **

            • Ken Chase
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
                One for mike and speaker, another for IQ.

                Ken VA3ABN

                Why would you need to 2 systems?  Sound cards have MIC and Speaker terminals.  That should be good enough for TX and RX.  Isn't it?

                On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                > Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my
                > Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just
                > got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

                Not easy to answer.
                It may work, most do.
                But the right one depends on what you want to do. You may not know that
                until you have had experience.
                You will most likely require two sound systems to work a RX/TX. A USB device
                might suit you. A Delta 44 4 in, 4 out is a fair choice for an internal
                card.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ

              • Jeff Kelly
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
                  Mic in
                  Speaker out

                  IQ in
                  IQ out

                  Jeff

                  Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 5:19 PM

                  Why would you need to 2 systems?  Sound cards have MIC and Speaker terminals.  That should be good enough for TX and RX.  Isn't it?

                  On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                  > Will the onboard soundcard work or should I get a new soundcard for my
                  > Dell Dimension 2400 that will support the Ensemble RXTX softrock? I just
                  > got the kit from Tony but need to make sure my PC has the right soundcard.

                  Not easy to answer.
                  It may work, most do.
                  But the right one depends on what you want to do. You may not know that
                  until you have had experience.
                  You will most likely require two sound systems to work a RX/TX. A USB device
                  might suit you. A Delta 44 4 in, 4 out is a fair choice for an internal
                  card.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                • cbayona.cb
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
                    It depends on your mode for many digital modes you need a stereo line
                    input to connect the SoftRock outputs into the PC for processing and
                    a stereo line out to drive the transmitter on the SoftRock. For phone
                    or some digital mode where you want to listen you need an additional
                    input for the microphone and a set of outputs for the speaker

                    But with many digital modes one sound card is good enough.

                    At 04:19 PM 3/2/2012, you wrote:

                    >Why would you need to 2 systems? Sound cards have MIC and Speaker
                    >terminals. That should be good enough for TX and RX. Isn't it?
                    >
                    >On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Alan
                    ><<mailto:alan4alan@...>alan4alan@...> wrote:

                    Cecil
                    k5nwa