ensemble II

  • aa0rb
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 29, 2012
      Uh Oh! I soldered the 8 pin din in place for u04 and u05 instead of
      for u01. At this point I think it may be easier to get another 8
      pin din socket, if needed. Is the reason for the socket because u01
      is heat sensitive? AA0RB
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 29, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] ensemble II

        > Uh Oh! I soldered the 8 pin din in place for u04 and u05 instead of
        > for u01. At this point I think it may be easier to get another 8
        > pin din socket, if needed. Is the reason for the socket because u01
        > is heat sensitive? AA0RB

        Sorry, I don't understand.

        If you have soldered U1 in directly then you may leave it there.
        It has a socket just in case it needs an upgrade. But this is very unlikely.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012

          > Uh Oh! I soldered the 8 pin din in place for u04 and u05 instead of
          > for u01.

          Oh! Just realised what U4,5 are, did not think of that possibility.
          But U1 socket is just there to make removal easier, it is a programmable
          chip. Unlikely that you would ever need to, the program is mature and no
          improvement to an Ensemble is possible. Only if it is faulty will it need to
          be removed.

          73 G4ZFQ
        • Gifford Massie III
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
            Thanks Allan.
            AA0RB
          • junius fox
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
              I have the Ensemble II built and checked for solder problems.. none found.  I have checked voltages, all OK!,

              CFGSR finds the SI570 OK!.
              BUT.... When I hook up the rig to the PC and use HDSDR, or WINRAD or SDR-RADIO. I get nothing.  I feel that I don't know how to set up the HDSDR etc with EXTIO.DLL for my device.  I have read that the EXTIO.DLL for this radio needs to be installed in the HDSDR set-up folder.I think I have done that correctly. If I have overlooked something. Please give me a clue.

              Regards,
              Junius  W5HIR .
            • John Greusel
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
                Junius

                Do you have the line in plugged in correctly on your soundcard- per the build notes?

                John
                KC9OJV

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 29, 2012
                  I’m a newbie to SDR, plus my netbook and PC on motherboard sound have poor documentation re whether/which jack might be stereo input for the I/Q signal.

                  So I bought an Audiophile 192 PCI card ($89) for my Win 7 32 bit SP1 machine. Once I got into the 192’s control panel and set 24 bit, 192khz, it now works great with Ensemble II, getting 192kc BW. Default was 16 bit/44khz, and there was a huge noise spur/whatever at center freq, now gone.

                  Need to ensure plugged into stereo input to PC sound card, and that correct input/output is selected for soundcard. 3.5mm stereo cable for Ensemble II end. The Audiophile 192 uses 1/4” plugs so needed 3.5mm male to male 1/4” mono plugs to get work. The 192 has separate breakout cables for L/R IQ input. If you mix up L/R (I/Q), should still hear sigs, only set LSB will be needed for USB, etc.

                  Other than the noise floor perhaps not quite as low ?  (apples for apples difficult), I think the Ensemble II basically works as good as my SDR-IQ which uses USB for control and IQ sigs, at a fraction of the cost.

                  I am using SDR-Radio for both units.

                  Due to many permutations of settings, can answer setting questions for Ensemble II to PC using SDR-Radio, if that would help.

                  Link, WV4I

                • w9mo_2011
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2012
                    What is the exact model number of the Audiophile the sound card you bought?

                    Bob W9MO