Re: Big Thanks to Tony and this gang + a question regarding cleaning up

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
      Hi Sanath,

      Good to hear you have sucessfully completed your RXTX, well done!

      Apart from its appearance, flux usually does not cause any problem unless you are unlucky and there is any debris trapped in it.

      Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) is pretty good for removing normal resin flux, and does not cause any damage to plastic or components.

      Beware of using other solvents as they can often cause damage.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "S.Sanath Kumar" <sanatcumar@...> wrote:

      > Hello all, yesterday I completed the ensemble RXTX 20 30 40 m version and  it would not have been possible without  help from you all. I had no test equipment except an digital multimeter.  This project is entirely feasible with the least of equipment as it is well documented (may be it requires a quick update- like comp lay out has slightly changed in the latest available PCB). To top it all a ready support through this reflector!.
      >
      > I noticed that i have molten flux glazing the surface in almost its entirety.. Any simple and effective method to clean the pcb ???
      >

      > Thank you tony once again , and thank  you all for helping .
      > Cheers and best 73's
      > Sanath

    • S.Sanath Kumar
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
        Thank Bob and Bernie for the replies.

        I used the flux from ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049774&clickid=prod_cs )
        and rosin core solder wire(http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062717#tabsetBasic)

        I am worried abt the stuff like clipped wires getting stuck at the most vulnerable position predicted by Murphy's law !!! and also about future corrosion.

        I guess i will try and clean it with some IPA and check the results.  I did google and saw some mentions of "Poly Clens" as a good solvent to clean  a pcb. Any such locally (US) available quick fix ?  In the past i have cleaned PCBs with IPA and find that to be not very effective.

        cheers
        Sanath

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
          Hi Sanath,

          Not sure if its the same thing but here in the UK 'Polyclens' is a brand of paint brush cleaner and certainly melts and destroys some types of plastic. Really would not try that on a PCB, would probably damage some components.

          You really do not need to use additional flux when using rosin cored solder, it contains all the flux you need to make good joints, and additional flux just ends up making a big mess.

          I think you will probably need to use a lot of IPA and a stiff brush to remove that type of flux you used, not really meant for small components and PCB work.

          Some people I have helped debug their kits have found it can cause a lot of unnecessary extra problems. Often the cause of poor joints on IC legs as the flux forms a hard, glass like residue and nicely insulates the IC leg from the pad.

          In one extreme case, having spent many days helping find faults the guy was going to give up and throw the PCB away as there were too many intermittent faults. I suggested he remove all the ICs, clean the PCB and ICs with IPA and resolder just using the solder and no extra flux. Worked first time, and no problems ever since as far as I know.

          If you find it is really necessary to use any flux, a liquid flux pen is much better, very thin and dries quickly and does not leave any residue or need cleaning. Usually only really needed ocassionally for rework.

          73, Bob g8VOI

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "S.Sanath Kumar" <sanatcumar@...> wrote:

          > Thank Bob and Bernie for the replies.
          >
          > I used the flux from ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049774&clickid=prod_cs )
          > and rosin core solder wire(http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062717#tabsetBasic)
          >
          > I am worried abt the stuff like clipped wires getting stuck at the most vulnerable position predicted by Murphy's law !!! and also about future corrosion.
          >

          > I guess i will try and clean it with some IPA and check the results.  I did google and saw some mentions of "Poly Clens" as a good solvent to clean  a pcb. Any such locally (US) available quick fix ?  In the past i have cleaned PCBs with IPA and find that to be not very effective.
          >

          > cheers
          > Sanath

        • Bob Segrest
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012

            For rosin based flux removal I haven’t found anything better than grain alcohol and an old soft bristly tooth brush.  I bought a pint at the local liquor store 20 years ago and still have a quarter of it left.

            KD4PWU

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2012
              Thanks Alan, I have a feeling the problem might be in the area of the the toroid. I think I'll wind another one and make a few inductance measurements before installing it.

              Thanks also for the heads-up on the spike. I'm using on-board audio which may not be the best for the job.

              73 Chris