Re: [softrock40] Re: A few Questions

  • John Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2012
      John,

      I have a 40/30/20 that was built by Tony. Puts out a full watt on 40 and 30 and 800mw on 20M. Receives continuous from the high end of the 75m band down to 17m.  I have since built another 40/30/20 for another ham and it operated identical to the one that Tony built. Folks experience seems to be that the ensemble RXTX in this band group is just fine. I spend most of my time on 20M and running barefoot have many QSOs on PSK31. When I run WSPR I get excellent results to Europe and Australia when the band permits. My antenna is a 130ft doublet with a MFJ Tuner. I have been fooling around with an amplifier recently and the little transmitter drives it to 15 watts and makes psk31 qso's easy.

      I also had the quandary of which band group to build. I see almost no activity on 60m. I am glad I chose the 40/30/20 because 20 seems a lot more fun than 80 for me.

      I will send you some reports that were written about this band grouping by direct email.

      John - ke5ssh

      On 2/25/2012 6:24 AM, g8voip wrote:

      Hi John,

      There should be no problem transmitting on 60m as long as the SDR program you are running permits it. Think PSDR might limit it to some selected channels, but there are options on some versions to remove the restrictions.

      There possibly might be some issues with the Ensemble 40/30/20m version, but many have reported it working sucessfully. I tried to replicate it on a spare SoftRock v6.3 RXTX plug-in and had no success at all, very low power output.

      With the Ensemble you will need to use additional low pass filter on 40m.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --

      John Williams

      KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm