SoftrockLite kit for Kenwood TS-570 Panadaptor Project?

  • ve9xyz
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4 2:00 PM
      In the 29th Episode of Amateur Logic TV the host George showed an impressive way to use a SoftrockLite kit to use with his TS-2000's receiver IF & a PC to provide a useful Panadaptor.

      While researching this a bit this morning I discovered that there is a 8.83 MHz version of the Softrock kit especially made for radios with the 8.83 MHz IF like my TS-570. Based on what I read I'd need the Softrock IF Lite with the 8.83 MHz option I guess.

      I'm really not sure if the 8.83 MHz kit is still available since it doesn't shopw up on WB5RVZ's web-page.

      I'd like to hear from others who have done this with the TS-570, since I don't really know anyone who is dabbling with this, but the thought of developing a Panadaptor with my TS-570 from a kit sounds pretty interesting.

      Kevin

      VE9-XYZ
      myfamilydotcom@...
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4 2:03 PM
        I tapped my TS-2000 and it gives about 48kHz of visible width...a bit less but in the ballpark.  Not sure how wide the tap point on a 570 would be, it depends on what filter stages it sits behind.

        The Clifton Labs buffer amp works great for isolating the tap point.

        I run my tap into a DDC SDR receiver (because I also use it directly as well) but a softrock would work just fine for that.

        --
        73  de Chris -- KC2RGW
        KC2RGW@W2LI.#NNJ.NJ.USA.NOAM

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5 2:07 AM
          I am running the Softrock IF kit on my TS-850S/AT's 8.83 MHz IF and seeing over 190 KHz of spectrum. The key is a sound card with a fast sample rate. The embedded sound digitizer in my motherboard will sample at 196 KHz so it reflects in the PowerSDR IF software.

          I have a video of it running on YouTube. Did not have much of an antenna on at the time so just have AM broadcasters on the display.

          VE3MIJ Jim

          Sent from my iPad
        • ve9xyz
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5 5:25 AM
            Interesting Jim! I expect that your PC card then gives you about 100 Khz of bandwidth then? Given your experience with this, what sort of sample rate would you have preferred?

            Any other comments on this?

            Kevin

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jim <mij@...> wrote:

            > I am running the Softrock IF kit on my TS-850S/AT's 8.83 MHz IF and seeing over 190 KHz of spectrum. The key is a sound card with a fast sample rate. The embedded sound digitizer in my motherboard will sample at 196 KHz so it reflects in the PowerSDR IF software.
            >
            > I have a video of it running on YouTube. Did not have much of an antenna on at the time so just have AM broadcasters on the display.
            >
            > VE3MIJ Jim
            >
            > Sent from my iPad

          • wb5rvz
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7 11:08 AM
              Actually, my builders' notes DO cover the 8.83 MHz IF version.

              The construction notes for the kit are at http://www.wb5rvz.org/softrock_lite_ii/index

              When you hit that page, click on the "Bands" tab at the top of the page and, in the dropdown list that is presented, select the "IF8.83 MHz" band option. This sets up the pages to provide notes and Billl of Materials for building that option.