Re: [softrock40] free cases for SR receivers, exciters, etc.

  • zehelmer@portugalmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2006
      Hi, Earl

      One great IDea (the case) with many suitable ideas!

      For some os us... it might be difficult to find those (free) HD's.

      Could some one be a supplier... almost free ;-)) plus postage?

      This is also an idea (2 cent$) hihihi

      73 de Jose' - cT1AXG

      Citando tj_alberta <earl.rubin@...>:

      Nice cast aluminum RF tight cases are quite expensive - often more
      than Tony's kits. It occured to me that there is a free source of
      these cases available to all: old 3.5" HDs.

      These are freely available at recycle depots (if you don't have a
      bunch already). Let's face it: what are you ever going to use a 1 or
      2 GB HD for? Might as well use the case especially when it comes with
      all kinds of build in features:

      1) conveniently sized cast aluminum RF tight case with removable lid
      2) power connector for which you probably have lots of plugs (free)and
      probably at least a few power supplies
      3) connector for jumpers
      4) multi pin connector for outputs -- for which you probably have lots
      of old IDE/ATA flat cables and plugs (free)
      5) can be neatly stacked in a "mini panel rack" -- i.e. part of a
      discarded computer case (free).
      6) easy to drill the aluminum to install RF connectors.
      7) could possibly be installed inside a computer with just the antenna
      coax going in to a suitably modified PCI card back panel blanks (gratis)

      just an idea I thought I would throw out ...

      73

      Earl VE6/4Z4TJ

      Email gratuito com 2 000 MB
      Espaço para guardar as memórias de uma vida
      http://www.portugalmail.pt/2000mb
    • tj_alberta
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2006
[...]

      • Clive Lorton - G8POC
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2006
          Jose, what a good idea.  I've just stripped oit an old 3G HD. Can't think what it cost new, but no good now.  I recon I can fit both Softrock and DDS in 1 case.

          Brilliant Idea.

          73 and thank you

          Clive G8POC