Resistors in the new 20m SoftRock_40_R receiver Kit ???

  • Bob Segrest
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012

      Hello,

      I had the good fortune to buy a couple of the new 20m SoftRock_40_R receiver Kits earlier this month.

      This evening I started putting the first one together and found an apparent discrepancy between the parts list and what I actually received.

      The inventory indicated that I should have 4 SMT 1206 1/8th watt resistors, 1K ohm, marked 102.  I did not receive these.  But I did receive 4 SMT resistors marked 10R0 that appear to be 10 ohms when measured.  I checked the other kit (purchased & shipped at the same time) and found the same set of components.

      Did miss something?  A substitution perhaps?

      Bob

      KD4PWU

    • KQ8M
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012

        You should have 4 10 ohm, 3 100 ohm and 3 1k ohm resistors. An old schematic shows R1 as 100 ohm but should be 1k.

        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

        North Coast Contesters

        kq8m@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
          Hi Bob,

          The 1k resistors should be marked 1001.  Please let me know if these resistors have not been included with your kit.  If so, I will send them right away.

          Thanks and 73,
          --
          Tony Parks
          kb9yig@...

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012

            Hello Tim,

            Thank you for your prompt response.

            Where can I find the most current schematic and kit instructions?

            Bob

            KD4PWU

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012

              Bob,

              As far as I know there is only a schematic and pictures of the board that is available right now. This is at http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/softrock_40_r/. The guys are working on the build instructions but I found the schematic and board pictures worked well for me. Also the schematic has been updated with the correct R1 value.

              Tim Herrick, KQ8M

              North Coast Contesters

              kq8m@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012

                  Hello Tom,

                  Thank you for the clarification.  I do appreciate the sanity check.

                  I learned to read the colored bands 45 years ago but haven’t been able to figure out chip labels without a map or meter…

                  Bob

                  KD4PWU

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Bob
                    If you haven't been advised, measure every thing before fitting then you don't have to worry about this modern trend of poor identification of components. I doubt you will find an issue with Tony's kits but measuring is best. A cheap OVA meter costs 2 or 3 bucks and a simple cap bridge is easy to build. These two bits of kit are worth there wieght in gold. Oh and most meters have diode and transistor testers build in... remarkable when you think back to the darkages when I were a lad.

                    good luck petefmt