Re: [softrock40] SoftRock_40_R kit

  • Leroy Marion
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 7, 2012
      Hi Tony,  Please put the K2 4.915 IF on that list.         Thanks, Leroy AB7CE

      Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 6:26 AM
      Subject: [softrock40] SoftRock_40_R kit

      Good Morning All,

      I am thinking about offering the SoftRock_40_R kit for mostly IF signal processing applications. To do that I want to go for a group of custom crystals that will provide center frequencies about 12 kHz below various popular IF center frequencies. The 12 kHz below the various IF center frequencies is appropriate for those how want to sample at 48 kHz and would give an IF spectrum view about +/-10 or 11 kHz around the IF center frequency.

      Please help me compile a list of popular IF center frequencies as I get ready to approach a custom crystal source for the crystals.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG

    • Tony Parks

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 8, 2012
          Hello Tony,

          YAESU FT-990 IF frequencies of 47.21 MHz, 10.94 MHz and 455 kHz

          73 Laurent F6GOX

          Le 08/01/2012 14:26, Tony Parks a écrit :
          > Good Morning All,
          >
          > I am thinking about offering the SoftRock_40_R kit for mostly IF signal processing applications. To do that I want to go for a group of custom crystals that will provide center frequencies about 12 kHz below various popular IF center frequencies. The 12 kHz below the various IF center frequencies is appropriate for those how want to sample at 48 kHz and would give an IF spectrum view about +/-10 or 11 kHz around the IF center frequency.
          >
          > Please help me compile a list of popular IF center frequencies as I get ready to approach a custom crystal source for the crystals.
          >
          > Thanks and 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

        • Bill Shell
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 8, 2012
            Tony,

            I would be interested in a SoftRock_40_R kit for 455 kHz, if the crystal could change to a frequency outside of the 160m band.  I have a constant 1.843 MHz signal present in my receiver Lite II IF.  I would also be interested in modifying or replacing my v6.2 IF and Lite II IF versions with a version with a new crystal frequency.

            If you are not able move the crystal frequency outside the 160m band, I guess I should try moving the SoftRock IF outside of my transceiver.

            Thank you for all your efforts in making the SoftRock kits available.

            73, Bill
            N6WS

            On 01/08/2012 05:26 AM, Tony Parks wrote:

            Good Morning All,

            I am thinking about offering the SoftRock_40_R kit for mostly IF signal processing applications. To do that I want to go for a group of custom crystals that will provide center frequencies about 12 kHz below various popular IF center frequencies. The 12 kHz below the various IF center frequencies is appropriate for those how want to sample at 48 kHz and would give an IF spectrum view about +/-10 or 11 kHz around the IF center frequency.

            Please help me compile a list of popular IF center frequencies as I get ready to approach a custom crystal source for the crystals.

            Thanks and 73,
            Tony KB9YIG

          • AI2Q
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 8, 2012
              Hi Tony.

              My PIC-a-STAR uses 10.695 MHz as the IF.

              Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 8, 2012

                Kenwood
                8.83mhz (hybrids)

                Tony,
                Thanks again for providing these sdr kits.

                73,
                Ryan
                WA6HXG

                PS:  If anyone has tapped the IF on an Icom IC-7000 please drop me a line.

                On Jan 8, 2012 5:26 AM, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                Good Morning All,

                I am thinking about offering the SoftRock_40_R kit for mostly IF signal processing applications. To do that I want to go for a group of custom crystals that will provide center frequencies about 12 kHz below various popular IF center frequencies. The 12 kHz below the various IF center frequencies is appropriate for those how want to sample at 48 kHz and would give an IF spectrum view about +/-10 or 11 kHz around the IF center frequency.

                Please help me compile a list of popular IF center frequencies as I get ready to approach a custom crystal source for the crystals.

                Thanks and 73,
                Tony KB9YIG

              • James Hall
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 8, 2012
                  455khz and 10.7mhz would probably cover a fair amount of gear too.

                • rein0zn@ix.netcom.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 8, 2012
                    Hi All,

                    When it comes to IF ( Panadapter type ) monitoring and processing, a version for
                    around 65 - 70 Mhz would also be useful.
                    As a matter of fact, I am working using a lite II back-end with a 4 m converter to
                    have this for TS-850, TS-2000 and FT-817, this combined with a Si-570 controller.

                    73 Rein W6SZ

                    >My PIC-a-STAR uses 10.695 MHz as the IF.
                    >
                    >Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex
                    >Member: ARRL, FOC, RSGB, CWops, QRP-L, Antique Wireless Association, Wide Area Amateur Radio Network, New England Radio Discussion Society (NERDS)
                    >http://home.roadrunner.com/~alexmm

                  • Lawrence Galea
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 9, 2012
                      Tony, STAR constructors use either 10.695 MĦz or 10.7 MĦz crystal filters.
                      Regards
                      Lawrence

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 9, 2012
                        The TS-850 has an if out at 8.83 mhz. I am using it with a softrock II set at approximately 8.817 and PDSDR-IF. Now I would be interested in the 4 meter converter for some other rigs. Tell me more about it.

                        Marty
                        N5KBP

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, rein0zn@... wrote:

                        > Hi All,
                        >
                        > When it comes to IF ( Panadapter type ) monitoring and processing, a version for
                        > around 65 - 70 Mhz would also be useful.
                        > As a matter of fact, I am working using a lite II back-end with a 4 m converter to
                        > have this for TS-850, TS-2000 and FT-817, this combined with a Si-570 controller.
                        >
                        > 73 Rein W6SZ

                      • MD
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 9, 2012
                          Tony, 9 mhz would be a good one also 3.18 mhz for the older Yaesu's.

                          Marty
                          N5KBP

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 9, 2012
                            Hi Marty,

                            The TS 850 has a first IF of 75.03 MHz and a second IF of 8.83 Mhz By going to the first IF your band coverage will be
                            wider. The first IF in all these radio's is quite wide ( hard to build a narrow filter for 70 MHz )
                            The same is true for the TS-2000 and the FT-817 and many other radio's for that matter.
                            Instead of using a simple 4 m converter and a Softrock lite one could and ( some do ) use a rather new approach the
                            so called Fun Dongle,

                            http://www.funcubedongle.com/?page_id=2

                            This is a SDR for about 65 Mhz to all the way up to about 2 GHz

                            I use the FT-817 as an IF radio on 10 GHz and like to be be able to "see" at
                            least 50 kHz of the band.

                            If more questions, contact me direct

                            73 Rein W6SZ

                            >The TS-850 has an if out at 8.83 mhz. I am using it with a softrock II set at approximately 8.817 and PDSDR-IF. Now I would be interested in the 4 meter converter for some other rigs. Tell me more about it.
                            >
                            >Marty
                            >N5KBP
                            >
                            >--- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, rein0zn@... wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Hi All,
                            >>
                            >> When it comes to IF ( Panadapter type ) monitoring and processing, a version for
                            >> around 65 - 70 Mhz would also be useful.
                            >> As a matter of fact, I am working using a lite II back-end with a 4 m converter to
                            >> have this for TS-850, TS-2000 and FT-817, this combined with a Si-570 controller.
                            >>
                            >> 73 Rein W6SZ

                          • Tony Parks
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                              Good Afternoon All,

                              Several have commented recently concerning the SoftRock_40_R kit. My personal view of the kit is that I feel it has a number of positive things going for it, although granted, it does have some negative attributes. On the positive side I would list the following:

                              Low cost
                              Good experience with SMT soldering on a verity of SMT parts
                              No USB communications issues for first time kit builder
                              No additional DC power supply needed for receiver operation
                              Electrical cables furnished with kit

                              This afternoon when I make additional kits available on my website, I am going to try something different with the fifteen SoftRock_40_R kits that I will be offering. A generic SoftRock_40_R kit will be offered with the expectation that the kit buyer will then send me an e-mail at kb9yig@... and let me know what band or center frequency is of interest to him in my filling of his order. Hopefully this will cover the requested I have recently received for IF versions of the SoftRock_40_R kit.

                              Thanks for your interest in the kits.

                              73,
                              Tony KB9YIG
                            • KQ8M
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                                Did I miss the offering? I have been checking most of the day and haven't seen anything.

                                Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                                Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                                kq8m@...

                                AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                                  From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony ParksSent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 2:32 PM
                                  To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                                  They are currently being listed as available.

                                  73, Milt
                                  W8NUE
                                • KQ8M
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                                    WoW now that's service. I hit reload in my browser and there they are.

                                    Tony now has kits for sale. Good luck and happy building.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                                      Tony did I miss these earlier tonight, or have you yet to put them on your site?
                                      73 Charles

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                                      > Good Afternoon All,
                                      >
                                      > Several have commented recently concerning the SoftRock_40_R kit. My personal view of the kit is that I feel it has a number of positive things going for it, although granted, it does have some negative attributes. On the positive side I would list the following:
                                      >
                                      > Low cost
                                      > Good experience with SMT soldering on a verity of SMT parts
                                      > No USB communications issues for first time kit builder
                                      > No additional DC power supply needed for receiver operation
                                      > Electrical cables furnished with kit
                                      >
                                      > This afternoon when I make additional kits available on my website, I am going to try something different with the fifteen SoftRock_40_R kits that I will be offering. A generic SoftRock_40_R kit will be offered with the expectation that the kit buyer will then send me an e-mail at kb9yig@... and let me know what band or center frequency is of interest to him in my filling of his order. Hopefully this will cover the requested I have recently received for IF versions of the SoftRock_40_R kit.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                                      >
                                      > 73,
                                      > Tony KB9YIG

                                    • Tim Campbell
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                                        Must have missed them.  There were some about 30 minutes to an hour ago.  He still has some ensemble receivers and 6/4/2 meter receivers.

                                        Tim
                                        KB2MFS

                                        On May 1, 2012 6:42 PM, "g3oth" <g3oth@...> wrote:

                                        Tony did I miss these earlier tonight, or have you yet to put them on your site?
                                        73 Charles

                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                                        > Good Afternoon All,
                                        >
                                        > Several have commented recently concerning the SoftRock_40_R kit. My personal view of the kit is that I feel it has a number of positive things going for it, although granted, it does have some negative attributes. On the positive side I would list the following:
                                        >
                                        > Low cost
                                        > Good experience with SMT soldering on a verity of SMT parts
                                        > No USB communications issues for first time kit builder
                                        > No additional DC power supply needed for receiver operation
                                        > Electrical cables furnished with kit
                                        >
                                        > This afternoon when I make additional kits available on my website, I am going to try something different with the fifteen SoftRock_40_R kits that I will be offering. A generic SoftRock_40_R kit will be offered with the expectation that the kit buyer will then send me an e-mail at kb9yig@... and let me know what band or center frequency is of interest to him in my filling of his order. Hopefully this will cover the requested I have recently received for IF versions of the SoftRock_40_R kit.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                                        >
                                        > 73,
                                        > Tony KB9YIG

                                      • Leroy
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                                          DRAT!  I missed the IF kits again!

                                                                                              Leroy AB7CE

                                          Several have commented recently concerning the SoftRock_40_R kit. My personal view of the kit is that I feel it has a number of positive things going for it, although granted, it does have some negative attributes. On the positive side I would list the following:

                                          Low cost
                                          Good experience with SMT soldering on a verity of SMT parts
                                          No USB communications issues for first time kit builder
                                          No additional DC power supply needed for receiver operation
                                          Electrical cables furnished with kit

                                          This afternoon when I make additional kits available on my website, I am going to try something different with the fifteen SoftRock_40_R kits that I will be offering. A generic SoftRock_40_R kit will be offered with the expectation that the kit buyer will then send me an e-mail at mailto:kb9yig%40gmail.com and let me know what band or center frequency is of interest to him in my filling of his order. Hopefully this will cover the requested I have recently received for IF versions of the SoftRock_40_R kit.

                                        • landtrack@ymail.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 29, 2013
                                            Hello Tony,

                                            I second the FT-990 frequencies (although belatedly). I have not seen anything on your website on these, however.

                                            The 47.21 MHz before roofing filter seems a choice for a wider view than the 10 kHz. I was looking at something like a 100 khz view.

                                            Any status on these? The other possibility would be the 10.94 MHz IF at a more limited view, I suppose?

                                            Has anyone tried tapping the IF on the FT-990, yet?

                                            73 de Joe, WM9I

                                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, lbeugnet wrote:

                                            > Hello Tony,
                                            >
                                            > YAESU FT-990 IF frequencies of 47.21 MHz, 10.94 MHz and 455 kHz
                                            >
                                            > 73 Laurent F6GOX
                                            >
                                            > Le 08/01/2012 14:26, Tony Parks a écrit :
                                            > > Good Morning All,
                                            > >
                                            > > I am thinking about offering the SoftRock_40_R kit for mostly IF signal processing applications. To do that I want to go for a group of custom crystals that will provide center frequencies about 12 kHz below various popular IF center frequencies. The 12 kHz below the various IF center frequencies is appropriate for those how want to sample at 48 kHz and would give an IF spectrum view about +/-10 or 11 kHz around the IF center frequency.
                                            > >
                                            > > Please help me compile a list of popular IF center frequencies as I get ready to approach a custom crystal source for the crystals.
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks and 73,
                                            > > Tony KB9YIG

                                          • w5jhjerry
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 29, 2013
                                              Hi Tony,
                                              Do you have the IF frequency for the Kenwood TS-590S transceiver? It is 11.374MHz for the down conversion receiver. Several people are already using SRDs as panadapters. The Softrock 40 would be ideal.
                                              Jerry W5JH