Re: Audigy sound cards

  • sebelter
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2006
      Terry,

      Refer to my message #5755 for more of the details, but I am able to
      get the Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA card to provide image rejection. I'm
      using the audio output from a SR40 V6.0 directly into the
      Audigy: "I've done some limited testing using Rocky V1.5 and a 20
      meter version of the SoftRock V6 assembled by Tony. I get the best
      results with the SR output connected to the Audigy input at 96 KHz,
      Left/Right = Q/I, no shifting of the right channel data, and using
      my Dell laptop built-in sound card for the demodulated/filtered
      audio *output*."

      While my laptop is relatively new (2-years old, 2.0 GHz Pentium
      M755), switching the Rocky *output* to the laptop sound card made a
      significant improvement to the *input* performance. I don't know
      why; it could be CPU load, software driver issues, crosstalk in the
      Audigy, or cockpit problems. ;-)

      Even with the image rejection, I'm not impressed by the Audigy
      performance in this application. I have a huge hump in the center
      of the passband (low freq on the sound card) and *no* signal above
      or below 30-35 kHz on the card. But maybe my settings will help you
      make progress with your setup. Please let us all know if you get it
      working to your satisfaction. Good luck!

      Steve, N9IP

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <wb4jfi@...> wrote:
      > A friend and I just purchased the Audify 2 ZS card for notebook
      > computers, because our notebooks only have mono mic inputs. I
      also
      > purchased an Audigy 2 VE sound card for a desktop computer. Both
      cards
      > have a single input which can be either mic or line in
      (supposedly).

      > All these cards are not doing the image-reject thing under Rocky.
      We
      > see symmetrical spectrum on both sides of center frequency. After
      > lot of playing, we found that Rocky does seem to provide about
      35db of
      > image rejection on an ESS (motherboard) audio system, and a Turtle
      > Beach Montenegro(?) audio card. Neither of these cards work on
      laptops.

      > Is there a secret to making the Audigy sound cards work proerly
      with
      > line input? We ran several tests to see if the Audigy cards are
      truly
      > stereo. They appear to record stereo with the Creative Wave
      Studio