Re: [softrock40] Re: Use of DDS-60

  • ian mcphedran
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
      Many thanks to Clive G8POC, Ling SM, Richard G8JVM and Ross K9COX for their helpful replies to my plea!  I'll wait a little longer and see if anything turns up then try again to contact them. What a difference dealing with Tony, prompt reply to emails (of which he gets lots) speedy delivery of first class goods, and excellent assistance with any problems. I've never had better service from anyone.
      Thanks again guys
      Ian GM3GTQ

      clive_lorton <g8poc@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      Just to say that I have had a prompt response from Bryan Williams at
      amqrp to my email stating delivery times and that my DDS=60 will be
      delivered within that time.

      Clive Lorton G8POC

    • ian mcphedran
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
        Sorry, I must correct my first email on this subject. It was 24th August (not July) when I started the ordering.
        Ian

        clive_lorton <g8poc@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        Just to say that I have had a prompt response from Bryan Williams at
        amqrp to my email stating delivery times and that my DDS=60 will be
        delivered within that time.

        Clive Lorton G8POC

        All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

      • Pete....
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
          There is 'NO' duty, tax or vat charged for items
          purchased outside 'eu' providing they do not
          exceed £18.00, even then they seem to let kits go
          without charge (depends what price is written on
          the customs lable)

          Pete..........

          --- clive_lorton <g8poc@...> wrote:

          > Ian, on page 2 of my paypal receipt it gives an
          > email address
          > amqrpkits@... for questions about delivery and
          > tracking. My
          > DDS-60 has not been on order that long but I think
          > it deserves s a
          > question of them...
          >
          > It could also just be stuck in the UK post office
          > customs office which
          > we will get charged for. As I remember it cost £13
          > plus import duty
          > for some Inrad filters purchased on eBay.
          >
          > Clive Lorton G8POC
          >
          > > ian mcphedran wrote:
          > > >

          > > > I read your email (below) with interest and
          > decided to do the
          > same. On
          > > > July 24 I ordered a DDS-60 from AMQRP and a
          > MS-DDS-60 from KD1JV but
          > > > although Paypal have paid the money needed to
          > both parties,
          > neither has
          > > > acknowledged the order or payments. Can anyone
          > suggest a way of
          > getting
          > > > a result with this?
          > > > GM3GTQ
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
        • John Melton
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
            I have 2 DDS-60s, neither of which incurred any import duty or VAT.

            Both took several weeks to be shipped, but I was able to get a response
            to an email asking when they were being shipped.

            Regards,

            John g0orx/n6lyt

            Sun IT CTO
            Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
            Mobile: +44 7714 708861
          • clive_lorton
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
              Thats really good news. Thank you John.

              Clive G8POC

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@...> wrote:

              > I have 2 DDS-60s, neither of which incurred any import duty or VAT.
              >
              > Both took several weeks to be shipped, but I was able to get a response
              > to an email asking when they were being shipped.
              >
              > Regards,
            • T Hoflich
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                Sorry to respond so slowly. I happen to be in UK
                now on family business. You may have your answer
                by now. I received my MS-DSS-60 by return mail. I
                paid by personal check and was surprised at how
                fast it came.
                The last DDS-60 that I ordered (I have two) came
                a little more slowly than the last one, but no
                problem. I paid with Paypal and the only email
                that I got was the one from Paypal.

                Tom KM5H

              • ian mcphedran
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Thanks for that Tom. I'll wait a little longer before trying to contact them again.
                  Ian

                  --- ian mcphedran <gm3gtq@yahoo. co.uk> wrote:

                  > I read your email (below) with interest and
                  > decided to do the same. On July 24 I ordered a
                  > DDS-60 from AMQRP and a MS-DDS-60 from KD1JV
                  > but although Paypal have paid the money needed
                  > to both parties, neither has acknowledged the
                  > order or payments. Can anyone suggest a way of
                  > getting a result with this?
                  > GM3GTQ
                  >
                  > km5h <km5h@...> wrote:
                  > I finally finished a "production"
                  > version of a Softrock receiver. By
                  > production, I mean everything in one box with
                  > proper connectors
                  > instead of a bunch of pieces scattered around
                  > the bench. In the box
                  > is a SR-6, a DDS-60 and a MS-DDS-60
                  > (Controller) .
                  > I am using a SoundBlaster MP3+ so I can use it
                  > with any computer with
                  > USB (especially laptop).
                  > The Rocky display looks the same with the
                  > DDS-60 or the 28.224
                  > crystal. The output of the DDS-60 directly
                  > replaces the crystal via a
                  > short piece of small coax.
                  > One of the nice features of the controller is
                  > that it displays 7.056
                  > but actually puts out 28.224 for the SR-6.
                  > You set the center frequency on the controller.
                  > Then transfer that
                  > number (like 7.056) on the display to the
                  > appropriate field in Rocky
                  > setup.
                  > The DDS-60 goes to 60MHZ so this configuration
                  > will work to 15 MHZ.
                  > This includes lots of ham bands, short wave
                  > bands, and most IF's. Now
                  > I need to do some work on switching the band
                  > pass filter for higher
                  > frequency coverage than the "stock" SR-6.
                  >
                  > Now, if Rocky only supported AM and maybe FM
                  > (hint hint).
                  > There have been several questions lately about
                  > the use of the DDS60.
                  > I have found it very successful.
                  >
                  > http://www.amqrp. org/kits/ dds60/index. html
                  > http://kd1jv. qrpradio. com/msdds60/ msdds60.HTM
                  >
                  > Tom KM5H
                  >

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is
                  > stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." -
                  > PC Magazine

                  Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.

                • ian mcphedran

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 18, 2006
                      Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 5:53 PM
                      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Use of DDS-60

                      Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask what is the iron you used for your assembly work?

                      Drag soldering works very well on those chips. The secret is to tack down two opposite corners first and to use plenty of flux. I use a 'mini hoof' tip which holds a small amount of solder but you can use a normal tip with a small blob of solder on it. Gel flux is best.

                      73, Leon
                      --
                      Leon Heller, G1HSM
                      Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 18, 2006
                        For the first board that I assembled, I went the "chicken"
                        method and sent the chip and board to the fellow mentioned
                        in the DDS documentation. He did the "hard" work and
                        returned it to me. The result was very satisfactory.
                        Since then, I have been using the hot air reflow method
                        using an embossing gun, coffee warmer and solder that I got
                        from Cash Olsen who is on this group. This is very
                        satisfactory. I looked at the old entries in this group
                        and could not find the step by step documentation that I
                        used to do this. Maybe someone can point you to it.

                        73 Tom KM5H

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 18, 2006
                          I decided to look one more time and found it.

                          http://www.zianet.com/erg/SMT_Soldering.html

                          Tom KM5H

                        • Cecilio Bayona
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 18, 2006
                            T Hoflich wrote:
                            > For the first board that I assembled, I went the "chicken"
                            > method and sent the chip and board to the fellow mentioned
                            > in the DDS documentation. He did the "hard" work and
                            > returned it to me. The result was very satisfactory.
                            > Since then, I have been using the hot air reflow method
                            > using an embossing gun, coffee warmer and solder that I got
                            > from Cash Olsen who is on this group. This is very
                            > satisfactory. I looked at the old entries in this group
                            > and could not find the step by step documentation that I
                            > used to do this. Maybe someone can point you to it.
                            >
                            > 73 Tom KM5H
                            >
                            > --- ian mcphedran <gm3gtq@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v
                            >> Hexacon SMD soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a
                            >> supplier of SMD parts who no longer is in business. The
                            >> tip is o.k. for most smd things but the 28 pin analog
                            >> devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask what
                            >> is the iron you used for your assembly work?
                            >> Ian Gm3GTQ
                            >>
                            >> km5h <km5h@...> wrote:
                            >> I finally finished a "production" version of a
                            >> Softrock receiver. By
                            >> production, I mean everything in one box with proper
                            >> connectors
                            >> instead of a bunch of pieces scattered around the bench.
                            >> In the box
                            >> is a SR-6, a DDS-60 and a MS-DDS-60 (Controller).
                            >> I am using a SoundBlaster MP3+ so I can use it with any
                            >> computer with
                            >> USB (especially laptop).
                            >> The Rocky display looks the same with the DDS-60 or the
                            >> 28.224
                            >> crystal. The output of the DDS-60 directly replaces the
                            >> crystal via a
                            >> short piece of small coax.
                            >> One of the nice features of the controller is that it
                            >> displays 7.056
                            >> but actually puts out 28.224 for the SR-6.
                            >> You set the center frequency on the controller. Then
                            >> transfer that
                            >> number (like 7.056) on the display to the appropriate
                            >> field in Rocky
                            >> setup.
                            >> The DDS-60 goes to 60MHZ so this configuration will work
                            >> to 15 MHZ.
                            >> This includes lots of ham bands, short wave bands, and
                            >> most IF's. Now
                            >> I need to do some work on switching the band pass filter
                            >> for higher
                            >> frequency coverage than the "stock" SR-6.
                            >>
                            >> Now, if Rocky only supported AM and maybe FM (hint hint).
                            >> There have been several questions lately about the use of
                            >> the DDS60.
                            >> I have found it very successful.
                            >>
                            >> http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                            >> http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/msdds60/msdds60.HTM
                            >>
                            >> Tom KM5H

                            Here is a link to my site with a description on using an oven, but there
                            is also a link to Cash Olsen's method with an embossing air gun.

                            < http://www.hpsdr.com/Public/Projects/SMT/SMT.html >

                            --

                            Cecil
                            KD5NWA

                            "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna
                          • John Melton
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 18, 2006
                              Hi Ian,

                              I have built up 3 DDS-60s using just a small 18 watt iron with the
                              smallest tip I could find (from Maplin).

                              I used the method of putting a small amount of solder on the pad for pin
                              1 and then positioning the ad9851 and then just touched pin 1 to flow
                              the solder. After checking the alignment I then solder the opposite
                              corner pin, recheck everything and then put a small amount of solder on
                              the tip and drag the tip slowly across the pins of one side. I then use
                              solder wick to clean it up and remove any bridges. Then repeat for the
                              other 3 sides.

                              I am in the process of building another DDS using the ad9951 and have
                              used the same method with that.

                              Regards,

                              John g0orx/n6lyt

                            • richard
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 18, 2006
                                ian mcphedran wrote:
                                > Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD
                                > soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who
                                > no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the
                                > 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask
                                > what is the iron you used for your assembly work?
                                > Ian Gm3GTQ

                                Hi all, this works, I've done it many times and it looks like its been
                                through IR reflow.
                                What you need is rework flux, solder wick ( used ), and a good soldering
                                iron.
                                step 1
                                use a liberal amount of rework flux along the pins the whole length of
                                one side of the IC
                                step 2
                                with the solder wick make a trough that fits the size of the soldering
                                iron bit and flood it with solder.
                                step 3
                                run the solder wick across the IC pins with the tip of the soldering
                                iron in the solder wick trough.

                                Practice one a duff IC and a scrap board a few times, when you get the
                                hang of it it makes a a nice job
                                wash it afterward to remove the surplus flux and you wont know, even
                                under a microscope its been hand
                                soldered.
                                I use a Metcal Iron with a 2mm chisel bit when doing it, the important
                                thing is to keep the solder molten as the copper braid( solder wick) is
                                dragged
                                across the pins.

                                HTH
                                Richard g8jvm
                              • ian mcphedran
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 19, 2006
                                  Thanks for the info, 73 Ian

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 19, 2006
                                    Thanks for your reply Tom, I seem to remember a method of wrapping a thin copper wire round the iron bit, so I'll try that next. I have silver solder left over from previous smd kits I built years ago so that's not a problem.
                                    Thanks again, Ian

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 19, 2006

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 19, 2006
                                        I've logged it as a 'favourite' and refer to it later. Thanks

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 19, 2006
                                          That's a really good package of info to back up Tom's emails. I'll give it a try on the cheaper option as i won't be doing more boards!
                                          Thanks, Ian

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 19, 2006
                                            I am astonished at all the good ideas that have surfaced! Thanks to everyone for their help
                                            Ian GM3GTQ

                                            richard <richard.bown@...> wrote:
                                            ian mcphedran wrote:
                                            > Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD
                                            > soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who
                                            > no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the
                                            > 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask
                                            > what is the iron you used for your assembly work?
                                            > Ian Gm3GTQ

                                            Hi all, this works, I've done it many times and it looks like its been
                                            through IR reflow.
                                            What you need is rework flux, solder wick ( used ), and a good soldering
                                            iron.
                                            step 1
                                            use a liberal amount of rework flux along the pins the whole length of
                                            one side of the IC
                                            step 2
                                            with the solder wick make a trough that fits the size of the soldering
                                            iron bit and flood it with solder.
                                            step 3
                                            run the solder wick across the IC pins with the tip of the soldering
                                            iron in the solder wick trough.

                                            Practice one a duff IC and a scrap board a few times, when you get the
                                            hang of it it makes a a nice job
                                            wash it afterward to remove the surplus flux and you wont know, even
                                            under a microscope its been hand
                                            soldered.
                                            I use a Metcal Iron with a 2mm chisel bit when doing it, the important
                                            thing is to keep the solder molten as the copper braid( solder wick) is
                                            dragged
                                            across the pins.

                                            HTH
                                            Richard g8jvm

                                          • S. Cash Olsen
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 20, 2006
                                              Tom,

                                              Thanks for the kind mention. The method really does work. For those unfamiliar with the method that I teach you can find my turorial at www.zianet.com/erg/SMT_Soldering.html . There is a short movie that actually shows the solder melting, look for the link on the same page. I also sell the supplies i.e. solder paste at www.zianet.com/erg/ShopSolderPaste.html I'm currently out of stock on the embossing hot air tool and the beverage warmers.

                                              73, Cash Olsen, KD5SSJ

                                              Kits to build Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer http://www.zianet.com/erg
                                              Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer website http://users4.ev1.net/%7Ewsprowls/