Re: Use of DDS-60

  • clive_lorton
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 5 11:38 AM
      Hi,

      Just to say that I have had a prompt response from Bryan Williams at
      amqrp to my email stating delivery times and that my DDS=60 will be
      delivered within that time.

      Clive Lorton G8POC
    • ian mcphedran

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 5 12:51 PM
          Sorry, I must correct my first email on this subject. It was 24th August (not July) when I started the ordering.
          Ian

          clive_lorton <g8poc@...> wrote:
          Hi,

          Just to say that I have had a prompt response from Bryan Williams at
          amqrp to my email stating delivery times and that my DDS=60 will be
          delivered within that time.

          Clive Lorton G8POC

          All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

        • Pete....
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 5 8:43 PM
            There is 'NO' duty, tax or vat charged for items
            purchased outside 'eu' providing they do not
            exceed £18.00, even then they seem to let kits go
            without charge (depends what price is written on
            the customs lable)

            Pete..........

            --- clive_lorton <g8poc@...> wrote:

            > Ian, on page 2 of my paypal receipt it gives an
            > email address
            > amqrpkits@... for questions about delivery and
            > tracking. My
            > DDS-60 has not been on order that long but I think
            > it deserves s a
            > question of them...
            >
            > It could also just be stuck in the UK post office
            > customs office which
            > we will get charged for. As I remember it cost £13
            > plus import duty
            > for some Inrad filters purchased on eBay.
            >
            > Clive Lorton G8POC
            >
            > > ian mcphedran wrote:
            > > >

            > > > I read your email (below) with interest and
            > decided to do the
            > same. On
            > > > July 24 I ordered a DDS-60 from AMQRP and a
            > MS-DDS-60 from KD1JV but
            > > > although Paypal have paid the money needed to
            > both parties,
            > neither has
            > > > acknowledged the order or payments. Can anyone
            > suggest a way of
            > getting
            > > > a result with this?
            > > > GM3GTQ
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
          • John Melton
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 5 10:53 PM
              I have 2 DDS-60s, neither of which incurred any import duty or VAT.

              Both took several weeks to be shipped, but I was able to get a response
              to an email asking when they were being shipped.

              Regards,

              John g0orx/n6lyt

              Sun IT CTO
              Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
              Mobile: +44 7714 708861
            • clive_lorton
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 5 11:31 PM
                Thats really good news. Thank you John.

                Clive G8POC

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@...> wrote:

                > I have 2 DDS-60s, neither of which incurred any import duty or VAT.
                >
                > Both took several weeks to be shipped, but I was able to get a response
                > to an email asking when they were being shipped.
                >
                > Regards,
              • T Hoflich
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 6 1:03 AM
                  Sorry to respond so slowly. I happen to be in UK
                  now on family business. You may have your answer
                  by now. I received my MS-DSS-60 by return mail. I
                  paid by personal check and was surprised at how
                  fast it came.
                  The last DDS-60 that I ordered (I have two) came
                  a little more slowly than the last one, but no
                  problem. I paid with Paypal and the only email
                  that I got was the one from Paypal.

                  Tom KM5H

                • ian mcphedran
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 6 8:27 AM
                    Thanks for that Tom. I'll wait a little longer before trying to contact them again.
                    Ian

                    --- ian mcphedran <gm3gtq@yahoo. co.uk> wrote:

                    > I read your email (below) with interest and
                    > decided to do the same. On July 24 I ordered a
                    > DDS-60 from AMQRP and a MS-DDS-60 from KD1JV
                    > but although Paypal have paid the money needed
                    > to both parties, neither has acknowledged the
                    > order or payments. Can anyone suggest a way of
                    > getting a result with this?
                    > GM3GTQ
                    >
                    > km5h <km5h@...> wrote:
                    > I finally finished a "production"
                    > version of a Softrock receiver. By
                    > production, I mean everything in one box with
                    > proper connectors
                    > instead of a bunch of pieces scattered around
                    > the bench. In the box
                    > is a SR-6, a DDS-60 and a MS-DDS-60
                    > (Controller) .
                    > I am using a SoundBlaster MP3+ so I can use it
                    > with any computer with
                    > USB (especially laptop).
                    > The Rocky display looks the same with the
                    > DDS-60 or the 28.224
                    > crystal. The output of the DDS-60 directly
                    > replaces the crystal via a
                    > short piece of small coax.
                    > One of the nice features of the controller is
                    > that it displays 7.056
                    > but actually puts out 28.224 for the SR-6.
                    > You set the center frequency on the controller.
                    > Then transfer that
                    > number (like 7.056) on the display to the
                    > appropriate field in Rocky
                    > setup.
                    > The DDS-60 goes to 60MHZ so this configuration
                    > will work to 15 MHZ.
                    > This includes lots of ham bands, short wave
                    > bands, and most IF's. Now
                    > I need to do some work on switching the band
                    > pass filter for higher
                    > frequency coverage than the "stock" SR-6.
                    >
                    > Now, if Rocky only supported AM and maybe FM
                    > (hint hint).
                    > There have been several questions lately about
                    > the use of the DDS60.
                    > I have found it very successful.
                    >
                    > http://www.amqrp. org/kits/ dds60/index. html
                    > http://kd1jv. qrpradio. com/msdds60/ msdds60.HTM
                    >
                    > Tom KM5H
                    >

                    > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                    > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is
                    > stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." -
                    > PC Magazine

                    Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.

                  • ian mcphedran

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 18 10:20 AM
                        Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 5:53 PM
                        Subject: Re: [softrock40] Use of DDS-60

                        Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask what is the iron you used for your assembly work?

                        Drag soldering works very well on those chips. The secret is to tack down two opposite corners first and to use plenty of flux. I use a 'mini hoof' tip which holds a small amount of solder but you can use a normal tip with a small blob of solder on it. Gel flux is best.

                        73, Leon
                        --
                        Leon Heller, G1HSM
                        Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 18 10:41 AM
                          For the first board that I assembled, I went the "chicken"
                          method and sent the chip and board to the fellow mentioned
                          in the DDS documentation. He did the "hard" work and
                          returned it to me. The result was very satisfactory.
                          Since then, I have been using the hot air reflow method
                          using an embossing gun, coffee warmer and solder that I got
                          from Cash Olsen who is on this group. This is very
                          satisfactory. I looked at the old entries in this group
                          and could not find the step by step documentation that I
                          used to do this. Maybe someone can point you to it.

                          73 Tom KM5H

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 18 10:43 AM
                            I decided to look one more time and found it.

                            http://www.zianet.com/erg/SMT_Soldering.html

                            Tom KM5H

                          • Cecilio Bayona
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 18 11:05 AM
                              T Hoflich wrote:
                              > For the first board that I assembled, I went the "chicken"
                              > method and sent the chip and board to the fellow mentioned
                              > in the DDS documentation. He did the "hard" work and
                              > returned it to me. The result was very satisfactory.
                              > Since then, I have been using the hot air reflow method
                              > using an embossing gun, coffee warmer and solder that I got
                              > from Cash Olsen who is on this group. This is very
                              > satisfactory. I looked at the old entries in this group
                              > and could not find the step by step documentation that I
                              > used to do this. Maybe someone can point you to it.
                              >
                              > 73 Tom KM5H
                              >
                              > --- ian mcphedran <gm3gtq@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v
                              >> Hexacon SMD soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a
                              >> supplier of SMD parts who no longer is in business. The
                              >> tip is o.k. for most smd things but the 28 pin analog
                              >> devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask what
                              >> is the iron you used for your assembly work?
                              >> Ian Gm3GTQ
                              >>
                              >> km5h <km5h@...> wrote:
                              >> I finally finished a "production" version of a
                              >> Softrock receiver. By
                              >> production, I mean everything in one box with proper
                              >> connectors
                              >> instead of a bunch of pieces scattered around the bench.
                              >> In the box
                              >> is a SR-6, a DDS-60 and a MS-DDS-60 (Controller).
                              >> I am using a SoundBlaster MP3+ so I can use it with any
                              >> computer with
                              >> USB (especially laptop).
                              >> The Rocky display looks the same with the DDS-60 or the
                              >> 28.224
                              >> crystal. The output of the DDS-60 directly replaces the
                              >> crystal via a
                              >> short piece of small coax.
                              >> One of the nice features of the controller is that it
                              >> displays 7.056
                              >> but actually puts out 28.224 for the SR-6.
                              >> You set the center frequency on the controller. Then
                              >> transfer that
                              >> number (like 7.056) on the display to the appropriate
                              >> field in Rocky
                              >> setup.
                              >> The DDS-60 goes to 60MHZ so this configuration will work
                              >> to 15 MHZ.
                              >> This includes lots of ham bands, short wave bands, and
                              >> most IF's. Now
                              >> I need to do some work on switching the band pass filter
                              >> for higher
                              >> frequency coverage than the "stock" SR-6.
                              >>
                              >> Now, if Rocky only supported AM and maybe FM (hint hint).
                              >> There have been several questions lately about the use of
                              >> the DDS60.
                              >> I have found it very successful.
                              >>
                              >> http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                              >> http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/msdds60/msdds60.HTM
                              >>
                              >> Tom KM5H

                              Here is a link to my site with a description on using an oven, but there
                              is also a link to Cash Olsen's method with an embossing air gun.

                              < http://www.hpsdr.com/Public/Projects/SMT/SMT.html >

                              --

                              Cecil
                              KD5NWA

                              "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna
                            • John Melton
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 18 11:28 AM
                                Hi Ian,

                                I have built up 3 DDS-60s using just a small 18 watt iron with the
                                smallest tip I could find (from Maplin).

                                I used the method of putting a small amount of solder on the pad for pin
                                1 and then positioning the ad9851 and then just touched pin 1 to flow
                                the solder. After checking the alignment I then solder the opposite
                                corner pin, recheck everything and then put a small amount of solder on
                                the tip and drag the tip slowly across the pins of one side. I then use
                                solder wick to clean it up and remove any bridges. Then repeat for the
                                other 3 sides.

                                I am in the process of building another DDS using the ad9951 and have
                                used the same method with that.

                                Regards,

                                John g0orx/n6lyt

                              • richard
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 18 12:23 PM
                                  ian mcphedran wrote:
                                  > Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD
                                  > soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who
                                  > no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the
                                  > 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask
                                  > what is the iron you used for your assembly work?
                                  > Ian Gm3GTQ

                                  Hi all, this works, I've done it many times and it looks like its been
                                  through IR reflow.
                                  What you need is rework flux, solder wick ( used ), and a good soldering
                                  iron.
                                  step 1
                                  use a liberal amount of rework flux along the pins the whole length of
                                  one side of the IC
                                  step 2
                                  with the solder wick make a trough that fits the size of the soldering
                                  iron bit and flood it with solder.
                                  step 3
                                  run the solder wick across the IC pins with the tip of the soldering
                                  iron in the solder wick trough.

                                  Practice one a duff IC and a scrap board a few times, when you get the
                                  hang of it it makes a a nice job
                                  wash it afterward to remove the surplus flux and you wont know, even
                                  under a microscope its been hand
                                  soldered.
                                  I use a Metcal Iron with a 2mm chisel bit when doing it, the important
                                  thing is to keep the solder molten as the copper braid( solder wick) is
                                  dragged
                                  across the pins.

                                  HTH
                                  Richard g8jvm
                                • ian mcphedran
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 19 1:42 AM
                                    Thanks for the info, 73 Ian

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 19 1:50 AM
                                      Thanks for your reply Tom, I seem to remember a method of wrapping a thin copper wire round the iron bit, so I'll try that next. I have silver solder left over from previous smd kits I built years ago so that's not a problem.
                                      Thanks again, Ian

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 19 1:50 AM

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 19 1:53 AM
                                          I've logged it as a 'favourite' and refer to it later. Thanks

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 19 1:58 AM
                                            That's a really good package of info to back up Tom's emails. I'll give it a try on the cheaper option as i won't be doing more boards!
                                            Thanks, Ian

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 19 2:04 AM
                                              I am astonished at all the good ideas that have surfaced! Thanks to everyone for their help
                                              Ian GM3GTQ

                                              richard <richard.bown@...> wrote:
                                              ian mcphedran wrote:
                                              > Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD
                                              > soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who
                                              > no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the
                                              > 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask
                                              > what is the iron you used for your assembly work?
                                              > Ian Gm3GTQ

                                              Hi all, this works, I've done it many times and it looks like its been
                                              through IR reflow.
                                              What you need is rework flux, solder wick ( used ), and a good soldering
                                              iron.
                                              step 1
                                              use a liberal amount of rework flux along the pins the whole length of
                                              one side of the IC
                                              step 2
                                              with the solder wick make a trough that fits the size of the soldering
                                              iron bit and flood it with solder.
                                              step 3
                                              run the solder wick across the IC pins with the tip of the soldering
                                              iron in the solder wick trough.

                                              Practice one a duff IC and a scrap board a few times, when you get the
                                              hang of it it makes a a nice job
                                              wash it afterward to remove the surplus flux and you wont know, even
                                              under a microscope its been hand
                                              soldered.
                                              I use a Metcal Iron with a 2mm chisel bit when doing it, the important
                                              thing is to keep the solder molten as the copper braid( solder wick) is
                                              dragged
                                              across the pins.

                                              HTH
                                              Richard g8jvm

                                            • S. Cash Olsen
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 20 7:39 PM
                                                Tom,

                                                Thanks for the kind mention. The method really does work. For those unfamiliar with the method that I teach you can find my turorial at www.zianet.com/erg/SMT_Soldering.html . There is a short movie that actually shows the solder melting, look for the link on the same page. I also sell the supplies i.e. solder paste at www.zianet.com/erg/ShopSolderPaste.html I'm currently out of stock on the embossing hot air tool and the beverage warmers.

                                                73, Cash Olsen, KD5SSJ

                                                Kits to build Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer http://www.zianet.com/erg
                                                Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer website http://users4.ev1.net/%7Ewsprowls/