Re: [softrock40] Using at FT-1000D IF of 8215 KHz

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
      Hi Jerry,

      In July I built a v6 SoftRock for Steve Ireland, VK6VZ, to use with his FT1000 for IF signal processing.  Steve has the unit now and should be giving feedback pretty soon on how it is working out.

      The crystal I used for the FT1000 IF application was a 11.0 MHz crystal and 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling was used.  The center frequency was about 3* (11.0 -0.003 ) / 4 = 8.248 MHz, 33 kHz above the IF frequency.  If a soundcard is used that can sample at 96 kHz, the IF tuning with the SoftRock will be from 8.2 MHz to 8.296 which, I think, should give reasonable coverage of the FT1000 IF passband.

      I think I still have a few more of the 11 MHz crystals and the associated components.

      73,
      Tony KB9YIG

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
        Hi Jerry,

        The QSD circuit is responsive to odd harmonics, (with decreasing sensitivity as the harmonic count increases), so 20m operation can be reached by sub-harmonic sampling.  The QSD circuit is clocked at 1/3 the 20m center frequency by using a 18.73 MHz crystal divided by four for the QSD clock.  Works well as long as there is a proper BPF on the receiver frontend to reject the fundamental frequency signals as well as other odd harmonics.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 29, 2006
          >Hi Tony .. I have an FT-1000 that I would love to try this on.
          Could you send me the required components. My address is:
          Ray Benton W7RJC
          306 N. James St.
          Apt 1
          Grayling, Mi 49738
          Let me know if you need a paypal order. Thanks .. Ray

          > Hi Jerry,
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...>
          wrote:
          > In July I built a v6 SoftRock for Steve Ireland, VK6VZ, to use
          with his FT1000 for IF signal processing. Steve has the unit now
          and should be giving feedback pretty soon on how it is working out.

          > The crystal I used for the FT1000 IF application was a 11.0 MHz
          crystal and 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling was used. The center
          frequency was about 3* (11.0 -0.003 ) / 4 = 8.248 MHz, 33 kHz above
          the IF frequency. If a soundcard is used that can sample at 96 kHz,
          the IF tuning with the SoftRock will be from 8.2 MHz to 8.296 which,
          I think, should give reasonable coverage of the FT1000 IF passband.

          > I think I still have a few more of the 11 MHz crystals and the
          associated components.

          > 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 29, 2006

            Hi Jerry,

            Here are a set of component values that I think could work properly for the FT-1000D IF application of the v6, (v6.1 circuit board), SoftRock.

            SoftRock operated in 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling mode. Reverse audio cable connection to board with tip going to R on board and ring going to T on board.

            C5 180pF

            C6 100pF

            L1 8T of #30 on a T30-6 core (0.24 uH)

            L2 30T of #30 on a T30-6 core (3.3 uH)

            T1 8T of #30 on primary and 4T of #30 in each of the two secondary

            windings "bifilar" over the top of the primary on a T30-6 core (0.24 uH on primary)

            C21 = C23 = 1500 pF

            C22 = 100 pF

            Crystal X1 is 11.0 MHz

            73,

            Tony KB9YIG

            Need recommendations for using 80/40 softrock at 8215 KHz IF of FT-1000D.

            Jerry W4UK

          • ian mcphedran

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 30, 2006

                Hi Tony and Jerry

                Unfortunately the FT1000D IF processing experiment has been delayed, owing too much work and not enough playtime to put the Softrock into a diecast box and modify the FT1000D.

                However, the 160m DX season is approaching (for which I wish to try out the set-up) and the soccer season finishes this week (I coach an under-12 soccer team in which my son and daughter play), so hopefully I can give some feedback to the reflector in the next month.

                Vy 73

                Steve, VK6VZ

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006
                  Hi to all,

                  I did this experiment with an FT840 and a QSD rx (much like a very
                  simplified SDR1000, see the schematics:
                  http://py2wm.qsl.br/SDR/SDRZero_files/QSD-PB-7-2006.pdf).

                  The oscillator was tuned to the 3rd overtone of a 11 MHz crystal for
                  a 33/4 = 8.25 MHz central frequency.

                  I used a small capacitor (4.7 pF) to "tap" the second IF (on Q1011
                  drain), just after the second mixer and before the crystal filter,
                  and brought the signal out of the yaesu box to the QSD with a thin
                  coaxial cable.

                  Owing to the first "roofing" filter, the spectrum display is bell
                  shaped and S meter readings on the software are consistent only
                  within roughly 20 kHz. Anyway this yaesu radio has AGC applied
                  between mixers so S meter readings on the software will be
                  compressed and not really useful.

                  Tuning the FT840 with this setup takes some time getting used to,
                  there's a delay owing to the software digital processing, what is
                  heard does not corresponds immediately to tuning on the FT840 as it
                  would. So the radio is used for course tuning, small increment
                  tuning (± 10 kHz) being done with the mouse.

                  Transmitting with this setup requires some form of "zero beat" and
                  so far I have only used it for listening.

                  Results are very good, sounds really much better than the old radio
                  alone. The many capabilities brought by the software, like variable
                  bandwidth, AM and FM detection, noise reduction, auto notch..., open
                  a new world. For software I commonly use KGK and Winrad.

                  73,

                  João De Marco, PY2WM

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Tony and Jerry
                  >

                  > Unfortunately the FT1000D IF processing experiment has been
                  delayed, owing
                  > too much work and not enough playtime to put the Softrock into a
                  diecast box
                  > and modify the FT1000D.
                  >

                  > However, the 160m DX season is approaching (for which I wish to
                  try out the
                  > set-up) and the soccer season finishes this week (I coach an under-
                  12 soccer
                  > team in which my son and daughter play), so hopefully I can give
                  some
                  > feedback to the reflector in the next month.
                  >

                  > Vy 73
                  >

                  > Steve, VK6VZ
                  >

                  > _____

                • py2wm
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006

                    > I did this experiment with an FT840 and a QSD rx (much like a very
                    > simplified SDR1000, see the schematics:
                    > http://py2wm.qsl.br/SDR/SDRZero_files/QSD-PB-7-2006.pdf).

                    If the server is down there is an alternative location with the
                    schematics:
                    http://ewp.homelinux.net/SDRZero/SDRZero_03.php
                  • n3hkn
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006
                      One of the large benefits of the SDR approach is the variable
                      bandwidth filtering. With the filters, and a Softrock, you have full
                      control of what hits the AGC (PC software). However, when using
                      a "normal radio" and tapping the IF you have to disable the AGC or
                      the same old problem of a station outside of the AF passband
                      influencing the gain of the radio ahead of the tap. The tap has to be
                      close to elements that are not overloaded when AGC is turned off.
                      Even with this strategy, the larger antennas of some will pickup
                      enough "stuff" to drive one or more tap preceding stages into
                      overload. Use of the RF gain control helps but creates the same harm
                      as dynamic AGC, i.e. burying a weak signal.

                      The answer probably lies in the use of the Softrock in its "native"
                      mode - DC receiver. Then attaching a real good spur/noise free VFO
                      and an SSB transmitter. RF amplifiers have to be robust or a
                      rudimentary dynamic AGC may be needed. The usual
                      mechanical/electrical nightmares of band-switching will surface but
                      most of that stuff can be solved with good PC boards and component
                      sets provided by none other than TONY!!

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "py2wm" <py2wm@...> wrote:

                      > > I did this experiment with an FT840 and a QSD rx (much like a
                      very
                      > > simplified SDR1000, see the schematics:
                      > > http://py2wm.qsl.br/SDR/SDRZero_files/QSD-PB-7-2006.pdf).
                      >
                      > If the server is down there is an alternative location with the
                      > schematics:
                      > http://ewp.homelinux.net/SDRZero/SDRZero_03.php

                    • Boaventura - PY5CEK
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006

                        I don’t think so. There are others than Tony!

                        73 from PY5CEK

                        Enviada em: quinta-feira, 31 de agosto de 2006 13:58
                        Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                        Assunto: [softrock40] Re: Using at FT-1000D IF of 8215 KHz

                        One of the large benefits of the SDR approach is the variable
                        bandwidth filtering. With the filters, and a Softrock, you have full
                        control of what hits the AGC (PC software). However, when using
                        a "normal radio" and tapping the IF you have to disable the AGC or
                        the same old problem of a station outside of the AF passband
                        influencing the gain of the radio ahead of the tap. The tap has to be
                        close to elements that are not overloaded when AGC is turned off.
                        Even with this strategy, the larger antennas of some will pickup
                        enough "stuff" to drive one or more tap preceding stages into
                        overload. Use of the RF gain control helps but creates the same harm
                        as dynamic AGC, i.e. burying a weak signal.

                        The answer probably lies in the use of the Softrock in its "native"
                        mode - DC receiver. Then attaching a real good spur/noise free VFO
                        and an SSB transmitter. RF amplifiers have to be robust or a
                        rudimentary dynamic AGC may be needed. The usual
                        mechanical/electric al nightmares of band-switching will surface but
                        most of that stuff can be solved with good PC boards and component
                        sets provided by none other than TONY!!

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "py2wm" <py2wm@...> wrote:

                        > > I did this experiment with an FT840 and a QSD rx (much like a
                        very
                        > > simplified SDR1000, see the schematics:
                        > > http://py2wm. qsl.br/SDR/ SDRZero_files/ QSD-PB-7- 2006.pdf).
                        >
                        > If the server is down there is an alternative location with the
                        > schematics:
                        > http://ewp.homelinu x.net/SDRZero/ SDRZero_03. php

                      • Sam Morgan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006
                          Boaventura - PY5CEK wrote:
                          > I don’t think so. There are others than Tony!

                          for those of us that are a little confused....
                          who, where, what are you trying to say, links please. . . .

                          --
                          GB & 73's
                          KA5OAI
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                            Some are: Edson, PU1JTE/N1VTN and De Marco, PY2WM.

                            http://ewp.homelinux.net/SDRZero/SDRZero_History.php
                            (in Portuguese...)

                            Boaventura, PY5CEK

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2006
                              Hi Tony and others,
                              I too am thinking of following the 8125Khz IF route but with an FT757.
                              Some while ago, I seem to remember someone suggesting that the BPF may
                              not be needed as the receiver would do the filtering.
                              Would you care to comment.
                              73 de Pat G3MNV
                            • Branko Djokic
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 26, 2007
                                Hello,

                                Just ordered SoftRock Lite 9.0 Mhz, to be used with FT101z IF-out on
                                8987.5 khz.

                                Any experiences with IF from FT101z yet ?

                                73
                                Branko
                                hb9txb

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, ian mcphedran <gm3gtq@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Tony, I wonder if you can suggest a similar set of componenents
                                or offer a built v.6.1 for an I.F. of 8987.5 khz (for my FT101ZD)?.
                                > Alexander Ian McPhedran GM3GTQ
                                >

                                > Tony Parks <raparks@...> wrote: Hi Jerry,
                                > Here are a set of component values that I think could work
                                properly for the FT-1000D IF application of the v6, (v6.1 circuit
                                board), SoftRock.
                                > SoftRock operated in 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling mode. Reverse
                                audio cable connection to board with tip going to R on board and
                                ring going to T on board.
                                > C5 180pF
                                > C6 100pF
                                > L1 8T of #30 on a T30-6 core (0.24 uH)
                                > L2 30T of #30 on a T30-6 core (3.3 uH)
                                > T1 8T of #30 on primary and 4T of #30 in each of the two
                                secondary
                                > windings "bifilar" over the top of the primary on a T30-6 core
                                (0.24 uH on primary)
                                > C21 = C23 = 1500 pF
                                > C22 = 100 pF
                                > Crystal X1 is 11.0 MHz
                                > 73,
                                > Tony KB9YIG

                                easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal