RE: [softrock40] Original SoftRock-40

  • K. D. Sarchet
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011

      I am definitely interested

      73 de WY5R - KD

      JT65A Power Calculator

      From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Parks
      Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 7:07 AM
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [softrock40] Original SoftRock-40

      Good Morning All,

      Several have recently expressed an interest in the original SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power form the USB port.

      Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the board.

      Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there is enough interest, I will give it a try.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG

    • lmarion@mt.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
        I'm sure I would want a few at least.........
        Leroy

        Quoting Tony Parks <kb9yig@...>:

        > Good Morning All,
        >
        > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original
        > SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC
        > power form the USB port.
        >
        > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator
        > circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and
        > the antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end
        > of the board.
        >
        > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If
        > there is enough interest, I will give it a try.
        >
        > Thanks and 73,
        > Tony KB9YIG

      • David Meye
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
          i am interested kl7qw

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
            I would rather have SMT.

            Joel - W4JBB

            On 12/2/2011 9:48 AM, Tony Parks wrote:
            A couple additional thoughts...

            If a new SoftRock-40 kit is done, the design would mostly be SMT for resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc.  Probably the only non-SMT components would be the crystal, inductor and transformer.   (Inductor and transformer would continue to be user wound on toroid cores.)

            A two foot long stereo audio cable would be included in the kit where the cable would have a 3.5mm plug on one end.  A two foot long length of coax cable would also be included in the kit.

            Kit price would depend  on the number of crystals to be included but probably would be around $23 with crystals for 160m through 20m.

            Tony Parks
            kb9yig@...
            http://www.kb9yig.com

            On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:06 +0000, Tony Parks wrote:

            Good Morning All,

            Several have recently expressed an interest in the original SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power form the USB port.

            Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the board.

            Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there is enough interest, I will give it a try.

            Thanks and 73,
            Tony KB9YIG

          • Gordon JC Pearce
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
              On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 17:35:33 -0600
              Joel Black <joel.b.black@...> wrote:

              > I would rather have SMT.
              >
              > Joel - W4JBB

              Seconded! I don't have the patience or enthusiasm to work on complicated, fiddly through-hole parts, and I no longer have a big enough welding torch to deal with the massive leads.

              --
              Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ <gordonjcp@...>
            • Leroy Marion
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011

                Thirded,  I have gotten pretty good at SM, and prefer it,
                especially when its finished!
                                                                     Leroy AB7CE

                Joel Black <mailto:joel.b.black%40gmail.com> wrote:

                > I would rather have SMT.
                >
                > Joel -
                W4JBB

                Seconded! I don't have the patience or enthusiasm to work on complicated, fiddly through-hole parts, and I no longer have a big enough welding torch to deal with the massive leads.

                --
                Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ <mailto:gordonjcp%40gjcp.net>

              • Marcel
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 3, 2011

                  I am interested with SMT version

                  Marcel  W5BJV

                  Seconded! I don't have the patience or enthusiasm to work on complicated, fiddly through-hole parts, and I no longer have a big enough welding torch to deal with the massive leads.

                  --
                  Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ <gordonjcp@...>

                • bill_noyce
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                    I would certainly be interested in a mostly-SMD Softrock in this form factor. I'd most likely want to build it as a K2 panadaptor (4.9xx center frequency).
                    -- Bill, AB1AV

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                    > A couple additional thoughts...
                    >
                    > If a new SoftRock-40 kit is done, the design would mostly be SMT for
                    > resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. Probably the only non-SMT
                    > components would be the crystal, inductor and transformer. (Inductor
                    > and transformer would continue to be user wound on toroid cores.)
                    >
                    > A two foot long stereo audio cable would be included in the kit where
                    > the cable would have a 3.5mm plug on one end. A two foot long length of
                    > coax cable would also be included in the kit.
                    >
                    > Kit price would depend on the number of crystals to be included but
                    > probably would be around $23 with crystals for 160m through 20m.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > --
                    >
                    > Tony Parks
                    > kb9yig@...
                    > http://www.kb9yig.com
                    >

                    > On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:06 +0000, Tony Parks wrote:
                    >

                    > > Good Morning All,
                    > >
                    > > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original
                    > > SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power
                    > > form the USB port.
                    > >
                    > > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator
                    > > circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the
                    > > antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the
                    > > board.
                    > >
                    > > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there
                    > > is enough interest, I will give it a try.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks and 73,
                    > > Tony KB9YIG

                  • Dale
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                      Tony, this would be a great group project for my club. Dale

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                      > A couple additional thoughts...
                      >
                      > If a new SoftRock-40 kit is done, the design would mostly be SMT for
                      > resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. Probably the only non-SMT
                      > components would be the crystal, inductor and transformer. (Inductor
                      > and transformer would continue to be user wound on toroid cores.)
                      >
                      > A two foot long stereo audio cable would be included in the kit where
                      > the cable would have a 3.5mm plug on one end. A two foot long length of
                      > coax cable would also be included in the kit.
                      >
                      > Kit price would depend on the number of crystals to be included but
                      > probably would be around $23 with crystals for 160m through 20m.
                      >
                      > 73
                      > --
                      >
                      > Tony Parks
                      > kb9yig@...
                      > http://www.kb9yig.com
                      >

                      > On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:06 +0000, Tony Parks wrote:
                      >

                      > > Good Morning All,
                      > >
                      > > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original
                      > > SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power
                      > > form the USB port.
                      > >
                      > > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator
                      > > circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the
                      > > antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the
                      > > board.
                      > >
                      > > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there
                      > > is enough interest, I will give it a try.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks and 73,
                      > > Tony KB9YIG

                    • David Meye
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                        Tony

                         I am really interested inone of these.

                        Tony, this would be a great group project for my club. Dale

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                        > A couple additional thoughts...
                        >
                        > If a new SoftRock-40 kit is done, the design would mostly be SMT for
                        > resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. Probably the only non-SMT
                        > components would be the crystal, inductor and transformer. (Inductor
                        > and transformer would continue to be user wound on toroid cores.)
                        >
                        > A two foot long stereo audio cable would be included in the kit where
                        > the cable would have a 3.5mm plug on one end. A two foot long length of
                        > coax cable would also be included in the kit.
                        >
                        > Kit price would depend on the number of crystals to be included but
                        > probably would be around $23 with crystals for 160m through 20m.
                        >
                        > 73
                        > --
                        >
                        > Tony Parks
                        > kb9yig@...
                        > http://www.kb9yig.com
                        >

                        > On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:06 +0000, Tony Parks wrote:
                        >

                        > > Good Morning All,
                        > >
                        > > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original
                        > > SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power
                        > > form the USB port.
                        > >
                        > > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator
                        > > circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the
                        > > antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the
                        > > board.
                        > >
                        > > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there
                        > > is enough interest, I will give it a try.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks and 73,
                        > > Tony KB9YIG

                      • poikaa
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                          You can count me in also, I've been wanting to build one since they came out but I lost when they were discontinued!

                          73 Rod KB8DNS

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <ks4ns@...> wrote:

                          > Tony, this would be a great group project for my club. Dale
                          >
                          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > A couple additional thoughts...
                          > >
                          > > If a new SoftRock-40 kit is done, the design would mostly be SMT for
                          > > resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. Probably the only non-SMT
                          > > components would be the crystal, inductor and transformer. (Inductor
                          > > and transformer would continue to be user wound on toroid cores.)
                          > >
                          > > A two foot long stereo audio cable would be included in the kit where
                          > > the cable would have a 3.5mm plug on one end. A two foot long length of
                          > > coax cable would also be included in the kit.
                          > >
                          > > Kit price would depend on the number of crystals to be included but
                          > > probably would be around $23 with crystals for 160m through 20m.
                          > >
                          > > 73
                          > > --
                          > >
                          > > Tony Parks
                          > > kb9yig@
                          > > http://www.kb9yig.com
                          > >

                          > > On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:06 +0000, Tony Parks wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > Good Morning All,
                          > > >
                          > > > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original
                          > > > SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power
                          > > > form the USB port.
                          > > >
                          > > > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator
                          > > > circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the
                          > > > antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the
                          > > > board.
                          > > >
                          > > > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there
                          > > > is enough interest, I will give it a try.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks and 73,
                          > > > Tony KB9YIG

                        • Tilman D. T
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                            Tony

                            I have built quite a number of SR:s now and think that I would be quite good of you would go down the SMT-route. The old trough hole components are just wasting space (and money). Considering that you already use SMT-type IC:s I would belive that people do not mind
                            using SMT type rasistors and caps all the way. GOOD MOVE !!
                            I guess the best SMT size for "amateur use" are of type 1206. Even the capacitors are available with marking on them from some suppliers.

                            To be perfectly honest I would not mind at all if you would consider
                            using ready made inductors (SMT-type). It is a bit hard work to wind those very small inductors for the BPF:s.

                            Having power drawn from the USB is a nice feature of course. Especially if the USB-interface is used to control a Si-570... :-)

                            Best regards from Sweden / Tilman SM0JZT

                            > A couple additional thoughts...
                            >
                            > If a new SoftRock-40 kit is done, the design would mostly be SMT for
                            > resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. Probably the only non-SMT
                            > components would be the crystal, inductor and transformer. (Inductor
                            > and transformer would continue to be user wound on toroid cores.)
                            >
                            > A two foot long stereo audio cable would be included in the kit where
                            > the cable would have a 3.5mm plug on one end. A two foot long length of
                            > coax cable would also be included in the kit.
                            >
                            > Kit price would depend on the number of crystals to be included but
                            > probably would be around $23 with crystals for 160m through 20m.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > --
                            >
                            > Tony Parks
                            > kb9yig@...
                            > http://www.kb9yig.com
                            >

                            > On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:06 +0000, Tony Parks wrote:
                            >

                            > > Good Morning All,
                            > >
                            > > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original
                            > > SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power
                            > > form the USB port.
                            > >
                            > > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator
                            > > circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the
                            > > antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the
                            > > board.
                            > >
                            > > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there
                            > > is enough interest, I will give it a try.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks and 73,
                            > > Tony KB9YIG

                          • Jasmine Strong
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011

                              You can even get ferrite toroid inductors with SMT tabs these days.  I imagine their performance is quite good;  after all they are used in many cellphones, which are software defined radios with bandwidth and sensitivity far in excess of what's available on softrock.

                              -J.

                              On 4 Dec 2011, at 22:13, Tilman D. T wrote:

                              Tony

                              I have built quite a number of SR:s now and think that I would be quite good of you would go down the SMT-route. The old trough hole components are just wasting space (and money). Considering that you already use SMT-type IC:s I would belive that people do not mind
                              using SMT type rasistors and caps all the way. GOOD MOVE !!
                              I guess the best SMT size for "amateur use" are of type 1206. Even the capacitors are available with marking on them from some suppliers.

                              To be perfectly honest I would not mind at all if you would consider
                              using ready made inductors (SMT-type). It is a bit hard work to wind those very small inductors for the BPF:s.

                              Having power drawn from the USB is a nice feature of course. Especially if the USB-interface is used to control a Si-570... :-)

                              Best regards from Sweden / Tilman SM0JZT

                              > A couple additional thoughts...
                              >
                              > If a new SoftRock-40 kit is done, the design would mostly be SMT for
                              > resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. Probably the only non-SMT
                              > components would be the crystal, inductor and transformer. (Inductor
                              > and transformer would continue to be user wound on toroid cores.)
                              >
                              > A two foot long stereo audio cable would be included in the kit where
                              > the cable would have a 3.5mm plug on one end. A two foot long length of
                              > coax cable would also be included in the kit.
                              >
                              > Kit price would depend on the number of crystals to be included but
                              > probably would be around $23 with crystals for 160m through 20m.
                              >
                              > 73,
                              > --
                              >
                              > Tony Parks
                              > kb9yig@...
                              > http://www.kb9yig.com
                              >

                              > On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:06 +0000, Tony Parks wrote:
                              >

                              > > Good Morning All,
                              > >
                              > > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original
                              > > SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power
                              > > form the USB port.
                              > >
                              > > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator
                              > > circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the
                              > > antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the
                              > > board.
                              > >
                              > > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there
                              > > is enough interest, I will give it a try.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks and 73,
                              > > Tony KB9YIG

                            • Eric Söderman
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                                Hi,

                                I agree what others have said that surface mount components would be
                                nice to be used as much as possible. If SMD inductors could be used
                                and not costing too much and give ok performance that would be good
                                also. But I see a problem that you want to supply kits where the
                                builder can choose different bands to build for, than there would be a
                                large waste (and cost) of components not used...

                                Another idea that I had was if it would be possible to include sound
                                card on board? I remember I read an article in Radcom a while ago
                                about an IC that included more or less everything (just a crystal and
                                a few capacitors needed if I remember correctly). Maybe this IC (that
                                I don´t remember the name of) is not suitable for SDR (unknown if
                                stereo or what sample rate). Anyway, maybe there are other options
                                too?

                                It would be really cool with only USB connection and antenna
                                connection. But maybe it would even be possible to make this optional
                                and route the audio connectors too for those that want to use other
                                sound card.

                                Just an idea from Eric SA5BKE

                                On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                                > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power form the USB port.
                                >
                                > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the board.
                                >
                                > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there is enough interest, I will give it a try.
                              • Sid Boyce
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 5, 2011
                                  The Mobo is shipped with both SMT inductors and toroids. The SMT ones are said to be of a much lower Q factor but I hadn't noticed any big differences between the two, so the differences may be more measured than perceived in most cases.

                                  There are SMT XTALS, some have to be oriented correctly, which is easily pointed out to the builder.

                                  SMT looks daunting before you've done one. It is no big deal and a big saver of time. The only added investment is a good fine tipped soldering iron, an eye loop or magnifying lamp and a decent pair of tweezers to securely grip parts as if they ping out of a cheap pair, they'll never again be seen unless it's your lucky day.
                                  73 ... Sid.

                                  On 05/12/11 07:15, Eric Söderman wrote:

                                  Hi,

                                  I agree what others have said that surface mount components would be
                                  nice to be used as much as possible. If SMD inductors could be used
                                  and not costing too much and give ok performance that would be good
                                  also. But I see a problem that you want to supply kits where the
                                  builder can choose different bands to build for, than there would be a
                                  large waste (and cost) of components not used...

                                  Another idea that I had was if it would be possible to include sound
                                  card on board? I remember I read an article in Radcom a while ago
                                  about an IC that included more or less everything (just a crystal and
                                  a few capacitors needed if I remember correctly). Maybe this IC (that
                                  I don´t remember the name of) is not suitable for SDR (unknown if
                                  stereo or what sample rate). Anyway, maybe there are other options
                                  too?

                                  It would be really cool with only USB connection and antenna
                                  connection. But maybe it would even be possible to make this optional
                                  and route the audio connectors too for those that want to use other
                                  sound card.

                                  Just an idea from Eric SA5BKE

                                  On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                                  > Several have recently expressed an interest in the original SoftRock-40 design that plugged into a PC USB socket to take DC power form the USB port.
                                  >
                                  > Basically it would be the Lite II circuit, less the 5 volt regulator circuit. A USB-A plug would be on one end of the narrow board and the antenna and stereo audio connections would be on the other end of the board.
                                  >
                                  > Would there be an interest in an updated version of that kit? If there is enough interest, I will give it a try.

                                  --
                                  Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot,
                                  Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support