Using at FT-1000D IF of 8215 KHz

  • Jerry Flanders
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
      Need recommendations for using 80/40 softrock at 8215 KHz IF of FT-1000D.

      Jerry W4UK
    • picnet2
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
        32.8Mhz xtal with /4 set = 8.200Mhz I suspect the band pass filter
        would be ok.

        Ive been recently playing with a Marconi 2022E as an external
        clock source, tuning around 1Mhz to 18Mhz with it driving the softrock
        v6 board really shows how versatile the softrock really is. e.g
        broadcast band, drm broadcasts etc, not to mention spectral analysis
        from dc to light ... well ok it "almost" feels that way given the cost
        of the softrock board.

        For others interested (similar to the 455khz mod)
        22.1K on base of Q2 - I found this gives 3db relief to the generator
        in higher frequencies, around 8dbm is needed at 28mhz (ext clk freq)
        and 10dbm for lower (<5mhz clk)

        Regarding my 455khz post, Tony has kindly sent me some new components
        for winding a new 455khz band pass filter I'll see how this works when
        connected to a scanner front end.

        BR,
        Mike.

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> wrote:

        > Need recommendations for using 80/40 softrock at 8215 KHz IF of
        FT-1000D.

        > Jerry W4UK

      • EB4APL
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
          Just a remainder, the crystal mode must be fundamental, unless you want to modify the oscillator for overtone, as yet described elsewere.

          73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

          ------------------------------------
          picnet2 wrote:

[...]

          -

          .._,___

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
            Hi Jerry,

            In July I built a v6 SoftRock for Steve Ireland, VK6VZ, to use with his FT1000 for IF signal processing.  Steve has the unit now and should be giving feedback pretty soon on how it is working out.

            The crystal I used for the FT1000 IF application was a 11.0 MHz crystal and 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling was used.  The center frequency was about 3* (11.0 -0.003 ) / 4 = 8.248 MHz, 33 kHz above the IF frequency.  If a soundcard is used that can sample at 96 kHz, the IF tuning with the SoftRock will be from 8.2 MHz to 8.296 which, I think, should give reasonable coverage of the FT1000 IF passband.

            I think I still have a few more of the 11 MHz crystals and the associated components.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
              Are there other possibilities? I see various combinations in use in
              the different SR receivers - e.g., sometimes a multiplication
              followed by a division - in the 20M SR receiver, 18.73x3, then /4.
              BTW, how does this multiplication work? (I don't see a tripler in the circuit.)

              Jerry W4UK

              At 12:54 8/28/2006, you wrote:

              >32.8Mhz xtal with /4 set = 8.200Mhz I suspect the band pass filter
              >would be ok.
              >BR,
              >Mike.
              >
              >--- In
              ><mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>softrock40@yahoogroups.com,
              >Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Need recommendations for using 80/40 softrock at 8215 KHz IF of
              >FT-1000D.
              > >
              > > Jerry W4UK

            • Tony Parks
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 28, 2006
                Hi Jerry,

                The QSD circuit is responsive to odd harmonics, (with decreasing sensitivity as the harmonic count increases), so 20m operation can be reached by sub-harmonic sampling.  The QSD circuit is clocked at 1/3 the 20m center frequency by using a 18.73 MHz crystal divided by four for the QSD clock.  Works well as long as there is a proper BPF on the receiver frontend to reject the fundamental frequency signals as well as other odd harmonics.

                73,
                Tony KB9YIG

                At 12:54 8/28/2006, you wrote:

                >32.8Mhz xtal with /4 set = 8.200Mhz I suspect the band pass filter
                >would be ok.
                >BR,
                >Mike.
                >
                >--- In
                ><mailto:softrock40 %40yahoogroups. com>softrock40@yahoogro ups.com,
                >Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@ ...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Need recommendations for using 80/40 softrock at 8215 KHz IF of
                >FT-1000D.
                > >
                > > Jerry W4UK

              • Ray Benton
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 29, 2006
                  >Hi Tony .. I have an FT-1000 that I would love to try this on.
                  Could you send me the required components. My address is:
                  Ray Benton W7RJC
                  306 N. James St.
                  Apt 1
                  Grayling, Mi 49738
                  Let me know if you need a paypal order. Thanks .. Ray

                  > Hi Jerry,
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...>
                  wrote:
                  > In July I built a v6 SoftRock for Steve Ireland, VK6VZ, to use
                  with his FT1000 for IF signal processing. Steve has the unit now
                  and should be giving feedback pretty soon on how it is working out.

                  > The crystal I used for the FT1000 IF application was a 11.0 MHz
                  crystal and 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling was used. The center
                  frequency was about 3* (11.0 -0.003 ) / 4 = 8.248 MHz, 33 kHz above
                  the IF frequency. If a soundcard is used that can sample at 96 kHz,
                  the IF tuning with the SoftRock will be from 8.2 MHz to 8.296 which,
                  I think, should give reasonable coverage of the FT1000 IF passband.

                  > I think I still have a few more of the 11 MHz crystals and the
                  associated components.

                  > 73,
                  > Tony KB9YIG

                • Tony Parks
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 29, 2006

                    Hi Jerry,

                    Here are a set of component values that I think could work properly for the FT-1000D IF application of the v6, (v6.1 circuit board), SoftRock.

                    SoftRock operated in 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling mode. Reverse audio cable connection to board with tip going to R on board and ring going to T on board.

                    C5 180pF

                    C6 100pF

                    L1 8T of #30 on a T30-6 core (0.24 uH)

                    L2 30T of #30 on a T30-6 core (3.3 uH)

                    T1 8T of #30 on primary and 4T of #30 in each of the two secondary

                    windings "bifilar" over the top of the primary on a T30-6 core (0.24 uH on primary)

                    C21 = C23 = 1500 pF

                    C22 = 100 pF

                    Crystal X1 is 11.0 MHz

                    73,

                    Tony KB9YIG

                    Need recommendations for using 80/40 softrock at 8215 KHz IF of FT-1000D.

                    Jerry W4UK

                  • ian mcphedran

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 30, 2006

                        Hi Tony and Jerry

                        Unfortunately the FT1000D IF processing experiment has been delayed, owing too much work and not enough playtime to put the Softrock into a diecast box and modify the FT1000D.

                        However, the 160m DX season is approaching (for which I wish to try out the set-up) and the soccer season finishes this week (I coach an under-12 soccer team in which my son and daughter play), so hopefully I can give some feedback to the reflector in the next month.

                        Vy 73

                        Steve, VK6VZ

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006
                          Hi to all,

                          I did this experiment with an FT840 and a QSD rx (much like a very
                          simplified SDR1000, see the schematics:
                          http://py2wm.qsl.br/SDR/SDRZero_files/QSD-PB-7-2006.pdf).

                          The oscillator was tuned to the 3rd overtone of a 11 MHz crystal for
                          a 33/4 = 8.25 MHz central frequency.

                          I used a small capacitor (4.7 pF) to "tap" the second IF (on Q1011
                          drain), just after the second mixer and before the crystal filter,
                          and brought the signal out of the yaesu box to the QSD with a thin
                          coaxial cable.

                          Owing to the first "roofing" filter, the spectrum display is bell
                          shaped and S meter readings on the software are consistent only
                          within roughly 20 kHz. Anyway this yaesu radio has AGC applied
                          between mixers so S meter readings on the software will be
                          compressed and not really useful.

                          Tuning the FT840 with this setup takes some time getting used to,
                          there's a delay owing to the software digital processing, what is
                          heard does not corresponds immediately to tuning on the FT840 as it
                          would. So the radio is used for course tuning, small increment
                          tuning (± 10 kHz) being done with the mouse.

                          Transmitting with this setup requires some form of "zero beat" and
                          so far I have only used it for listening.

                          Results are very good, sounds really much better than the old radio
                          alone. The many capabilities brought by the software, like variable
                          bandwidth, AM and FM detection, noise reduction, auto notch..., open
                          a new world. For software I commonly use KGK and Winrad.

                          73,

                          João De Marco, PY2WM

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Tony and Jerry
                          >

                          > Unfortunately the FT1000D IF processing experiment has been
                          delayed, owing
                          > too much work and not enough playtime to put the Softrock into a
                          diecast box
                          > and modify the FT1000D.
                          >

                          > However, the 160m DX season is approaching (for which I wish to
                          try out the
                          > set-up) and the soccer season finishes this week (I coach an under-
                          12 soccer
                          > team in which my son and daughter play), so hopefully I can give
                          some
                          > feedback to the reflector in the next month.
                          >

                          > Vy 73
                          >

                          > Steve, VK6VZ
                          >

                          > _____

                        • py2wm
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006

                            > I did this experiment with an FT840 and a QSD rx (much like a very
                            > simplified SDR1000, see the schematics:
                            > http://py2wm.qsl.br/SDR/SDRZero_files/QSD-PB-7-2006.pdf).

                            If the server is down there is an alternative location with the
                            schematics:
                            http://ewp.homelinux.net/SDRZero/SDRZero_03.php
                          • n3hkn
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006
                              One of the large benefits of the SDR approach is the variable
                              bandwidth filtering. With the filters, and a Softrock, you have full
                              control of what hits the AGC (PC software). However, when using
                              a "normal radio" and tapping the IF you have to disable the AGC or
                              the same old problem of a station outside of the AF passband
                              influencing the gain of the radio ahead of the tap. The tap has to be
                              close to elements that are not overloaded when AGC is turned off.
                              Even with this strategy, the larger antennas of some will pickup
                              enough "stuff" to drive one or more tap preceding stages into
                              overload. Use of the RF gain control helps but creates the same harm
                              as dynamic AGC, i.e. burying a weak signal.

                              The answer probably lies in the use of the Softrock in its "native"
                              mode - DC receiver. Then attaching a real good spur/noise free VFO
                              and an SSB transmitter. RF amplifiers have to be robust or a
                              rudimentary dynamic AGC may be needed. The usual
                              mechanical/electrical nightmares of band-switching will surface but
                              most of that stuff can be solved with good PC boards and component
                              sets provided by none other than TONY!!

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "py2wm" <py2wm@...> wrote:

                              > > I did this experiment with an FT840 and a QSD rx (much like a
                              very
                              > > simplified SDR1000, see the schematics:
                              > > http://py2wm.qsl.br/SDR/SDRZero_files/QSD-PB-7-2006.pdf).
                              >
                              > If the server is down there is an alternative location with the
                              > schematics:
                              > http://ewp.homelinux.net/SDRZero/SDRZero_03.php

                            • Boaventura - PY5CEK
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006

                                I don’t think so. There are others than Tony!

                                73 from PY5CEK

                                Enviada em: quinta-feira, 31 de agosto de 2006 13:58
                                Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                                Assunto: [softrock40] Re: Using at FT-1000D IF of 8215 KHz

                                One of the large benefits of the SDR approach is the variable
                                bandwidth filtering. With the filters, and a Softrock, you have full
                                control of what hits the AGC (PC software). However, when using
                                a "normal radio" and tapping the IF you have to disable the AGC or
                                the same old problem of a station outside of the AF passband
                                influencing the gain of the radio ahead of the tap. The tap has to be
                                close to elements that are not overloaded when AGC is turned off.
                                Even with this strategy, the larger antennas of some will pickup
                                enough "stuff" to drive one or more tap preceding stages into
                                overload. Use of the RF gain control helps but creates the same harm
                                as dynamic AGC, i.e. burying a weak signal.

                                The answer probably lies in the use of the Softrock in its "native"
                                mode - DC receiver. Then attaching a real good spur/noise free VFO
                                and an SSB transmitter. RF amplifiers have to be robust or a
                                rudimentary dynamic AGC may be needed. The usual
                                mechanical/electric al nightmares of band-switching will surface but
                                most of that stuff can be solved with good PC boards and component
                                sets provided by none other than TONY!!

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "py2wm" <py2wm@...> wrote:

                                > > I did this experiment with an FT840 and a QSD rx (much like a
                                very
                                > > simplified SDR1000, see the schematics:
                                > > http://py2wm. qsl.br/SDR/ SDRZero_files/ QSD-PB-7- 2006.pdf).
                                >
                                > If the server is down there is an alternative location with the
                                > schematics:
                                > http://ewp.homelinu x.net/SDRZero/ SDRZero_03. php

                              • Sam Morgan
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 31, 2006
                                  Boaventura - PY5CEK wrote:
                                  > I don’t think so. There are others than Tony!

                                  for those of us that are a little confused....
                                  who, where, what are you trying to say, links please. . . .

                                  --
                                  GB & 73's
                                  KA5OAI
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                                    Some are: Edson, PU1JTE/N1VTN and De Marco, PY2WM.

                                    http://ewp.homelinux.net/SDRZero/SDRZero_History.php
                                    (in Portuguese...)

                                    Boaventura, PY5CEK

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 2, 2006
                                      Hi Tony and others,
                                      I too am thinking of following the 8125Khz IF route but with an FT757.
                                      Some while ago, I seem to remember someone suggesting that the BPF may
                                      not be needed as the receiver would do the filtering.
                                      Would you care to comment.
                                      73 de Pat G3MNV
                                    • Branko Djokic
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 26, 2007
                                        Hello,

                                        Just ordered SoftRock Lite 9.0 Mhz, to be used with FT101z IF-out on
                                        8987.5 khz.

                                        Any experiences with IF from FT101z yet ?

                                        73
                                        Branko
                                        hb9txb

                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, ian mcphedran <gm3gtq@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Tony, I wonder if you can suggest a similar set of componenents
                                        or offer a built v.6.1 for an I.F. of 8987.5 khz (for my FT101ZD)?.
                                        > Alexander Ian McPhedran GM3GTQ
                                        >

                                        > Tony Parks <raparks@...> wrote: Hi Jerry,
                                        > Here are a set of component values that I think could work
                                        properly for the FT-1000D IF application of the v6, (v6.1 circuit
                                        board), SoftRock.
                                        > SoftRock operated in 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling mode. Reverse
                                        audio cable connection to board with tip going to R on board and
                                        ring going to T on board.
                                        > C5 180pF
                                        > C6 100pF
                                        > L1 8T of #30 on a T30-6 core (0.24 uH)
                                        > L2 30T of #30 on a T30-6 core (3.3 uH)
                                        > T1 8T of #30 on primary and 4T of #30 in each of the two
                                        secondary
                                        > windings "bifilar" over the top of the primary on a T30-6 core
                                        (0.24 uH on primary)
                                        > C21 = C23 = 1500 pF
                                        > C22 = 100 pF
                                        > Crystal X1 is 11.0 MHz
                                        > 73,
                                        > Tony KB9YIG

                                        easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal