Re: New to SDR's, some questions.

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2011
      Last night I ran a little experiment: Ensemble RX II connected to my ancient Dell CPi laptop with P2-266MHz and 128MB RAM, running Windows 2000 and HDSDR. BIOS offers a choice of "half duplex" or "disabled" for the onboard sound.
      It worked, but the only sampling rate at which it didn't stutter was 8kHz. 12kHz pegged the CPU.
      It is still ok for demodulation/filtering/listening. Waterfall display is not very useful though.

      I have another setup monitoring meteor reflections 24/7: Ensemble VHF, Compaq laptop with P3-450 CPU and 256MB RAM, running Spectrum Lab in I/Q mode. This one easily handles 24kHz sampling rate.

      This is to show that whatever computer you have, go ahead and try it with SDR. It may work fine for your application.

      73, Mike