Help wanted to build ghpsdr3 on "OS X"

  • Susan Mackay
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
      I have been looking for an SDR program that I can build from source (I want to expand it with some of my own demodulation code) and it seems to be that the ghpsdr3 would fit the bill.

      I have a 64-bit Mac running the latest version of "OS X" and also the latest version of Xcode.

      I have used MacPorts to add the necessary dependencies (such as port audio, fftw3 etc) and these all live in the "/opt/local" directory structure. They were all built using the default options for the package.

      I have down-loased the ghpsdr3-1.7.tar.gz file and expanded it.

      However I'm having trouble getting the sources to build past the "./configure" step. It seems not to be able to find many of the include and library files by default and so I have included the necessary command line flags to have it search "/opt/local/include" and "/opt/local/lib". (This is a bit strange as this is the first time I've had to do this - other packages that I;ve built seem to be able to find the MacPorts packages OK).

      Also it has trouble finding the "malloc.h" file although there are several in various places in the "normal" Unix file locations (e.g. "/usr/include/sys").

      The biggest problem is that it seems to need to be built with the "-arch i386" option but this then causes problems when trying to link with the library files (which are probably all all 64-bit).

      Has anyone any experience at building the ghpsdr package n a 64-bit Mac and who would like to share the "secret"?

      Thanks

      Susan VK3ANZ
    • Eric Söderman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
        Hi,

        I think you should direct these questions to the SDR-Widget group:
        http://groups.google.com/group/sdr-widget

        That is where the development of ghpsdr3-alex takes place. The latests
        sources are in git at https://github.com/alexlee188/ghpsdr3-alex%c2%a0.
        Also take a look in the wiki:
        http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3/index.php/Main_Page

        Eric SA5BKE

        On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Susan Mackay
        <susanmackay@...> wrote:

        > I have been looking for an SDR program that I can build from source (I want to expand it with some of my own demodulation code) and it seems to be that the ghpsdr3 would fit the bill.
        >
        > I have a 64-bit Mac running the latest version of "OS X" and also the latest version of Xcode.
        >
        > I have used MacPorts to add the necessary dependencies (such as port audio, fftw3 etc) and these all live in the "/opt/local" directory structure. They were all built using the default options for the package.
        >
        > I have down-loased the ghpsdr3-1.7.tar.gz file and expanded it.
        >
        > However I'm having trouble getting the sources to build past the "./configure" step. It seems not to be able to find many of the include and library files by default and so I have included the necessary command line flags to have it search "/opt/local/include" and "/opt/local/lib". (This is a bit strange as this is the first time I've had to do this - other packages that I;ve built seem to be able to find the MacPorts packages OK).
        >
        > Also it has trouble finding the "malloc.h" file although there are several in various places in the "normal" Unix file locations (e.g. "/usr/include/sys").
        >
        > The biggest problem is that it seems to need to be built with the "-arch i386" option but this then causes problems when trying to link with the library files (which are probably all all 64-bit).
        >
        > Has anyone any experience at building the ghpsdr package n a 64-bit Mac and who would like to share the "secret"?
        >
        > Thanks
      • William Dillon
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
          The reason you've had to specify those paths while using configure this time while not needing to before is that there is significant overlap between the libraries that are provided in the base OS and Xcode UNIX support relative to Mac Ports.  It is likely that the dependencies have been provided by the OS in the past.

          I've solved the malloc problem before, but I don't remember exactly how to do it at the moment.  I can help work thorough it off line if you'd like.

          - Will

          p.s., I love Satellite Tracker on the iPhone!

[...]

        • Graeme
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
            Hi Susan,

            As Eric has posted, the development is discussed in the google sdr-widget group where all the developers and testers hover. John Melton, the original author has joined the group and is actively working on this fork. There are experts of all fields and there is an install package available even though it is still in Alpha stage.

            There are compiles for many platforms including a beagleboard so you can see it runs on very lightweight machines. The current compiles are for various flavours of Linux and for Windows only so a Mac version would be very welcome.

            Hope to see you show up on the sdr-widget group soon.

            73 Graeme ZL2APV