RE: [softrock40] Re: Switching power supplies

  • The Silver Fox
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 21, 2011

      Switching power supplies generally use radio frequencies to manage the voltage and amperage exchange.  I assume that good ones have decent filters to keep the interference to a minimum.  If they radiated a lot you would hear it in your computer sound system.  The only caveat is that the softrock radios are sensitive and they also are reliant on the computer sound system.

      73’s

      Alan – W6ARH

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
        Take care trying to use old cellphone wall-wart's as "PSU's".

        Many are not PSU's as such, but Chargers. As such, they do not regulate
        well (if at all) with a very light load, such as an SDR.

        Also, those that do regulate, might do so, in a way that changes the
        "mode" of operation of the Switcher itself, from Continuious to
        Discontinuious mode, dramaticaly altering it's RFI spectrum, making any
        filtering it has less effective than it might be in "normal" use..

        Joking apart, sometimes adding extra load to some small (and large)
        SMPS's, can help keep them quiet(er) than they would otherwise be.

        Go for about 30% or more of their nominal rated output. Check on the
        ratings plate, label, embossing, for what they are rated to provide, some
        are suprisingly powerfull, but most are not easy to read that data from.

        73.

        Dave G0WBX.