Re: [softrock40] power supply for Softrock?; sources of interference removed!

  • cbayona
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2011
      At 12:01 PM 10/30/2011, you wrote:

      What's a decent power supply to use with the Ensemble II and at what voltage?  I've been using a large Pyramid non-switching 25 amp, but this is an overkill.  Today, I plugged in and am using a small "Walwart" 3-12 V, 600 mA supply.  So far, I haven't heard any harmonics and I have the voltage set at 9V instead of 12?  Any harm in this and what is the opinion of these small ps units?

      On a side note, I finally eliminated two sources of interference that have plagued me for years.  I would hear this interference on any of my antennas and the portable SW receiver I have had a bad speaker.  I finally replaced the speaker and tracked down the culprits.  One was an old VCR and the other an ultrasonic pest repeller I forgot I had.  Now 10, 15, and 20 meters are remarkably clean and virtually free of interference (except atmospheric that is, but I can live with that).

      Eric

      An Ensemble does not use very much current so just about any power supply will do in terms of current capacity but there are other issues to consider;
      • A switching power supply may put noise into the radio, stay away from those
      • Some wal-warts are not regulated and put out about 17 Volts with a light load, stay away from those.
      • Some do not have very good filtering so they may introduce hum, stay away from those.

      The Wal-Mart unit sounds like it's regulated and clean, and with 600 ma capacity can power a bunch of SoftRocks so it's a keeper. 9V is fine for the receiver so you are OK there also.

      Cecil
      k5nwa
      http://www.softrockradio.org/ > <  http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/ >
      http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >