setting up SDR demo on friend's laptop?

  • Eric Tv
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
      If I use HDSDR to record (at 96 Khz. 32 bit) a band segment using "RF" recording mode and then I want to allow a remote friend, who does not have an SDR, to see what SDR is like with HDSDR, how would I go about it?  Unfortunately, my friend has only Win ME on his P II laptop with whatever sound card built in (I think it's a standard 44 Khz card).  I was just thinking of sending him the setup file for HDSDR and the wave file I recorded, but I don't know if this will work.  I want to allow him to play around with the various modes and settings and see the results which he couldn't do with just a wave file alone.  I guess the questions become- 1) Will HDSDR work in WinME; 2) Am I going to have to record only in the maximum format of his card instead of at 96 Khz?; 3) Is his laptop even fast enough for this demo and/or if HDSDR won't work in ME, what will?

      Thanks,
      Eric
    • Bruce Tanner
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
        Eric, I don't know if his computer can handle the stress... but  you might consider having your friend download a copy of "SDR Radio Console" and accessing others' SDR radios via the remote feature.  You could even have the friend access your radio if you get it set up to be seen on the remote receiver.  That would allow the remote party to change bands, modes and tune to a frequency of choice just as though they were operating a radio of their own.  If you are not aware of this program and how it works... Google the software name shown above.

        bet

        On 10/26/2011 11:11 AM, Eric Tv wrote:

[...]

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6576 (20111026) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • Eric Tv
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
          Thanks, Bruce.  I hadn't heard of that program, but I downloaded it and I am quite impressed with the features, especially for noise reduction.

          Eric

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
            On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:11:39 -0400
            "Eric Tv" <astro4565@...> wrote:

            > If I use HDSDR to record (at 96 Khz. 32 bit) a band segment using "RF" recording mode and then I want to allow a remote friend, who does not have an SDR, to see what SDR is like with HDSDR, how would I go about it?

            You want to find some software that will load an audio file containing IQ samples, and SDR it. This is a lot less stress on the machine than capturing and playing back at full throttle, since you've only got the playback hardware interrupts to service.

            As an aside, this is how I test lysdr - I have a prerecorded 5-minute segment centred around 7.056kHz which I play back. I know every QSO in the segment, it's like bloody Groundhog Day! Being familiar with it allows me to hear how changes I've made to filter parameters affect the audio, and to see how changes to the way the waterfall is drawn affect how it looks. If I used a live off-air signal I wouldn't know if it was my filter or the guy transmitting that sounded like a wasp in a beer can ;-)

            --
            Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ <gordonjcp@...>
          • Bruce Tanner
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011