trouble in paradise....

  • Eric Tv
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
      Seemed like I had everything going well and all of a sudden no receive.  The static level is the same whether or not the antenna is connected.  I see the center spike and then background noise along each side, but no signals.  Any ideas?  I've tried all bands, nothing but static.

      Eric

    • Mike WA8BXN
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
        Hi Eric,

        You might mention which particular softrock you are working with to the
        group. Make sure it is getting DC power, maybe check output of the voltage
        regulator(s) . Can you hear the local oscillator in another receiver? Check
        soldering of the toroids. How long was it working before it quit?

        73/72 - Mike WA8BXN
      • Eric Tv
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
          Mike,

          I'm using the Ensemble II RX, which was already built when I received it.
          I'm using the PEOFKO for configuration and Rocky as software. Strange thing
          is if I go to "tune" in PEOFKO and press the s-9 buttons, I eventually get
          signals that are tunable in Rocky, but the minute I change bands in Rocky, I
          loose all signals except for static and even if I return to the original
          band that had signals, they are now gone. If I then go back to "tune" in
          PEOFKO and try several of the frequencies, I evenutally get signals back in
          Rocky. Not sure what is going on.

          Eric

          > You might mention which particular softrock you are working with to the
          > group. Make sure it is getting DC power, maybe check output of the voltage
          > regulator(s) . Can you hear the local oscillator in another receiver?
          > Check
          > soldering of the toroids. How long was it working before it quit?
          >
          > 73/72 - Mike WA8BXN

        • Mike WA8BXN
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
            Eric,
            It sounds like the hardware is probably working ok, its a software issue.
            You will have to find someone that is familiar with that particular setup
            that you are using. Most likely the note I am replying to will find you some
            experts that will be glad to help.

            73 - Mike WA8BXN

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
              One other thing to add. When this strange behavior started occurring it was
              while I was trying to adjust Si570 calibration in Rocky to get the display
              to read correctly (it was 5 Khz off).

              I could probably do a lot of troubleshooting here if I knew how to go about
              it. I didn't build this unit, so I'm already at a disadvantage, but I can
              share setting values, etc if someone can help.

              Thanks,
              Eric

              > It sounds like the hardware is probably working ok, its a software issue.
              > You will have to find someone that is familiar with that particular setup
              > that you are using. Most likely the note I am replying to will find you
              > some
              > experts that will be glad to help.
              >
              > 73 - Mike WA8BXN

            • Eric Tv
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
                Ok, here's what I have and then I have to leave for a while. Been at this
                off and on all day....

                If I open both Rocky and PEOFKO.....

                First, I set Rocky to any frequency. I select 21.158. The "tune" of PEOFKO
                shows 111.145737 for "requested frequency" and 444.582947 for set and output
                F. Now I change the value in the white box to 15.000. I make no changes in
                Rocky, yet now I can hear WWV loud and clear. Rocky still displays 21.158
                and I can tune above and below WWV. Now if I try to change the frequency in
                Rocky, say to 21.078, the "requested frequency" in PEOFKO changes to 110.725
                and set/output to 442.9. If I now write 15.000 in the box again, I'll have
                WWV back. Rocky will still say 21.078.

                That's the best way I can describe what is happening. It seems that I can
                select the frequency I want in PEOFKO and then use Rocky to tune around that
                frequency, but I can't change anything in Rocky or the frequencies in PEOFKO
                change and I end up with nothing until I type in 15.000 (or whatever) into
                the PEOFKO box.

                Sheesh, that's a lot to take in, but that's what is happening. I'll be back
                later. I really hope someone can help me figure this out. I'm at a loss,
                but at least the unit is receiving correctly.

                Eric

                > It sounds like the hardware is probably working ok, its a software issue.
                > You will have to find someone that is familiar with that particular setup
                > that you are using. Most likely the note I am replying to will find you
                > some
                > experts that will be glad to help.
                >
                > 73 - Mike WA8BXN

              • JOHN GREUSEL
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
                  Eric,
                  Rocky is an older program and, in my opinion, not the easiest to configure. I found, when I started with Softrocks, that Winrad (now HDSDR) was easier to configure, calibrate and generally easier to use (for me).

                  John
                  KC9OJV

                  > It sounds like the hardware is probably working ok, its a software issue.
                  > You will have to find someone that is familiar with that particular setup
                  > that you are using. Most likely the note I am replying to will find you
                  > some
                  > experts that will be glad to help.
                  >
                  > 73 - Mike WA8BXN

                • Eric Tv
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011

                    Hi John,

                    Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried HDSDR and find it better than Rocky.  I now have 96 Khz bandwidth, AM and FM.  Nice switch!

                    For all reading about my other problem, the same thing happens in HDSDR as with Rocky:  I can change frequency in the PEOFKO program under the tune section and then that frequency is center in HDSDR and Rocky.  I can now tune 48 Khz either side BUT the frequency display in HDSDR/ Rocky is not updated and if I try to swith bands in HDSDR or Rocky, nothing happens.  I can only change center frequency in PEOFKO.  In a way it's neat because I can go all the way down to broadcast band stations and hear them down to around 1 Mhz.  Still though the software programs not working as they should.  I think I need to get the frequency in the software (Rocky or HDSDR) to simultaneously change the frequency in the config PEOFKO, and then we'll be in business.  Right now, it isn't doing it.

                    Eric

                    Rocky is an older program and, in my opinion, not the easiest to configure. I found, when I started with Softrocks, that Winrad (now HDSDR) was easier to configure, calibrate and generally easier to use (for me).

                    John
                    KC9OJV

                    > It sounds like the hardware is probably working ok, its a software issue.
                    > You will have to find someone that is familiar with that particular setup
                    > that you are using. Most likely the note I am replying to will find you
                    > some
                    > experts that will be glad to help.
                    >
                    > 73 - Mike WA8BXN

                  • wa6hxg
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
                      Did you copy the file "ExtIO_Si570.dll" from the program files\CFGSR\ExtIO folder to the hdsdr folder?

                      Do that then select options->select input->and select softrock si570
                      in the HDSDR program.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                        >but the minute I change bands in Rocky, I
                        > loose all signals except for static and even if I return to the original
                        > band that had signals, they are now gone. If I then go back to "tune" in
                        > PEOFKO and try several of the frequencies, I evenutally get signals back
                        > in
                        > Rocky. Not sure what is going on.

                        Eric,

                        You have broken the calibration in Rocky.
                        As written on the CFGSR web page and on one of my pages this is a one-off
                        process. Do not touch the calibration in SDR software.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • Jose Bonanca
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                          Hi Eric
                           are you using the si570 setup in rocky? you must tick the small box.
                          Then select the card for audio.
                          73

                          Jose (Ct1aos)
                        • Eric Tv
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                            That's what did it, thanks! I don't remember seeing this in the
                            instructions, but maybe it should have been done for Rocky too (although I
                            like this HDSDR program better).

                            Now the problem seems to be that the calibration is off somehow, with the LO
                            and Tune values in HDSDR being 10,000,232 and 9,993,127 when perfectly tuned
                            to WWV at 10 Mhz. I tried following the instructions here, but it didn't
                            change anything (in fact the difference between lo and tune doubled to 14
                            Khz).

                            http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller

                            Thanks,
                            Eric

                            > Did you copy the file "ExtIO_Si570.dll" from the program files\CFGSR\ExtIO
                            > folder to the hdsdr folder?
                            >
                            > Do that then select options->select input->and select softrock si570
                            > in the HDSDR program.
                            >

                            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Tv" <astro4565@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Hi John,
                            >>
                            >> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried HDSDR and find it better than Rocky.
                            >> I now have 96 Khz bandwidth, AM and FM. Nice switch!
                            >>
                            >> For all reading about my other problem, the same thing happens in HDSDR
                            >> as with Rocky: I can change frequency in the PEOFKO program under the
                            >> tune section and then that frequency is center in HDSDR and Rocky. I can
                            >> now tune 48 Khz either side BUT the frequency display in HDSDR/ Rocky is
                            >> not updated and if I try to swith bands in HDSDR or Rocky, nothing
                            >> happens. I can only change center frequency in PEOFKO. In a way it's
                            >> neat because I can go all the way down to broadcast band stations and
                            >> hear them down to around 1 Mhz. Still though the software programs not
                            >> working as they should. I think I need to get the frequency in the
                            >> software (Rocky or HDSDR) to simultaneously change the frequency in the
                            >> config PEOFKO, and then we'll be in business. Right now, it isn't doing
                            >> it.
                            >>
                            >> Eric

                          • Jose Bonanca
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                              Eric
                               Use CFGSR to calibrate the si570.
                              default frequency for si570 14Megas just do calibrate and then exit from cfgsr. use rocky and you will see correct QRGs.
                              73

                              Jose (Ct1aos)
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                                > Now the problem seems to be that the calibration is off somehow, with the
                                > LO
                                > and Tune values in HDSDR being 10,000,232 and 9,993,127 when perfectly
                                > tuned
                                > to WWV at 10 Mhz. I tried following the instructions here, but it didn't
                                > change anything (in fact the difference between lo and tune doubled to 14
                                > Khz).

                                Eric

                                READ

                                > http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller

                                Especially the bit about IQ swap.
                              • Eric Tv
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                                  Ok, done and it seemed to be on frequency, but then I lost the program's
                                  sync with the config program. Should I recopy the ExtIO_Si570.dll file
                                  back into the HDSDR folder?

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                                    Ok, looks like I got it! It took me a little while to make sure though that
                                    I realized that I got it! One of the things that threw me off was that I
                                    didn't really know how the low and tune were related, now I do.

                                    Alan, you were correct in the rereading suggestion. I hadn't had the IQ
                                    swap checked for one thing.

                                    Once I followed the recalibration process, I did recopy the ExtIO_Si570.dll
                                    file back into the HDSDR folder.

                                    All seems to be fine though. I'm still about 1/2 Kc off, but I didn't have
                                    a very good fix on VVW the first time, but now easily fixed.

                                    Thanks again to all for your help! I don't think I would have been able to
                                    get this going without your tips and links.

                                    The receiver's sensitivity itself seems good to excellent. It's a bit
                                    weaker on the higher frequencies (>25 Mhz), but not by much over my regular
                                    radio. Other than that, I can tune in all sorts of things and it's great
                                    having 96 Khz range when using HDSDR. I also like having AM/ FM capability
                                    with HDSDR so I can listen to broadcasts.

                                    I'm sure someone already asked or has done this, but has anyone created a
                                    tutorial video for setting these up? I realize there are almost an infinite
                                    number of possibilities for set up though, so maybe not worth the time and
                                    effort.

                                    Now the big question is, how does setting up an Ensemble RXTX compare with
                                    the Ensemble RX?

                                    Thanks again to everyone for your help. I greatly appreciate your patience.

                                    Eric