Re: MOST COMPACT configuration for Field Day?

  • wb4jfi
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
      Older Netbooks have speed issues with Rocky and other programs. I have an original Acer Aspire One, and it sort of works, but stutters. There are alternatives.

      You might try a stand-alone configuration. Both the SDR2GO (from Kees Talen) at $74, and the SDR Cube from George Heron/Midnight Engineering (price varies, up to $300 in kit form) are stand-alone devices. They both use a dsPIC for the mod/demod of I/Q. The SDR2GO is pretty basic, it does not have a spectrum display. The SDR Cube has a much nicer display, with an 8kHz panadaptor. The RxTx Ensemble will need different connections than an RxTx 6.3, but that's easy. The Ensemble is a different footprint, and probably won't fit inside the SDR Cube box.

      Both devices require decent SMD soldering skills, as some IC pinouts are pretty small. But, they are both worth playing with. I played with both, using an RxTx 6.3. That 6.3 is ending up in the SDR Cube, and the SDR2GO will end up connected to an RxTx Ensemble.
      73s
      Terry, WB4JFI