opinions about this soundcard....

  • Eric Tv
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
      Hoping this will work with the Softrock Ensemble II receiver:

      192 Khz sampling.  About $20 after I applied a gift card (48.99 without).  Seems like a decent price, but will it work?

      Thanks,
      Eric
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
        Hi ,

        I'm using this card with very good results in my WebSDR servers (linux based).
        In my opinion is one of the best options for SDR in terms of price/quality, much better than any Creative card I have (including EMU-0202).
        In Windows it works like a charm with ASIO drivers at 192KHz/24bit.

        Hope this help.

        --
        73 Dan YO3GGX
        WebSDR http://websdr.yo3ggx.ro
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
          Thanks, Dan.  I was a little concerned about the noise at the band edges, after doing a little research on the card, and whether or not it could be used TX as well.  I already have Audiophile 2496 cards in my PC's, but of course desire the greater coverage the Asus card offers. Time will tell once the Ensemble II arrives and later, the card.

          Thanks for your input,
          Eric

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
            From: "Eric

            > was a little concerned about the noise at the band edges, after doing a
            > little research on the card, and whether or not it could be used TX as
            > well.

            Eric,

            This is my test of the D2X,
            <http://g4zfq.host-ed.net/RightMarkTests/ASUSXonarD2XAudio192.htm> I don't
            know if the one you are considering is similar.
            The D2X can be used at 192KHz, the input has to be increased to overcome the
            noise at the edges. Therefore dynamic range is reduced but others do this
            with EMUs and do not complain.
            The other thing is that it will not output high frequencies so TX must be
            with PSDR-IQ or any other SDR program that uses zero-beat TX.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Eric Tv
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
              Hi Alan,

              Yes, I came across those tests last night which raised my concerns a bit
              about this card. Forgive me for asking, but for the "input" increase, are
              you referring to increasing the input volume to the card using the card
              software/ driver or some other input setting? Also, I'm not familiar with
              the PSDR. When I try a search, I see a card being used with it, so hoping
              it's not a separate card needed. Not sure, I'm pretty new to all of this.
              I'm awaiting an assembled Ensemble II RX to arrive with the hopes of getting
              a kit RXTX version later, so I want to try and set things up now when I
              eventually get the TX kit. I think I'm going to have to take a look in the
              group archives here or Tony's site and see if I can find instructions for
              setting up the software and Ensemble card as I don't yet have anything to go
              on. Until the D2X sound card arrives, I'll be trying it with my Audiophile
              2496, an already excellent card for audio work and MIDI.

              Thanks for your testing site. Came across it last night, but wasn't sure
              who it was. Interestingly, my one PC does have an old Creative Live Drive
              IR with the control/ jack panel in the front of the PC. I couldn't find out
              whether or not this was the one you tested and I don't know the exact
              version of my card without looking at the card itself.

              Eric

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011

                > for the "input" increase, are
                > you referring to increasing the input volume to the card using the card
                > software/ driver or some other input setting?

                Eric,

                Yes, basically the mixer setting. This should be as low as possible,
                plugging in the Softrock and then plugging in the antenna should give only a
                small rise in noise level. However, when using 192 KHz the level will need
                to be raised significantly to overcome the edge noise. I do not really think
                192KHz is all that useable on HF, signals are all jammed together unless
                you're a broacast listener. On VHF FM it is more useful.

                >Also, I'm not familiar with
                > the PSDR.

                This page <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/home> gives links for
                beginners, Rocky or HDSDR are a little easier for a start. There is a page
                on Robby's site that gives some PSDR setup hints and links.