RX Ensemble II is not working HELP!!!

  • jacob
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2011
      Hello everyone. I am new to the group, and SDR all together. I purchased a RX Ensemble II a couple of weeks ago, and I have been working on it for the last week or so. I finally have it complete, but it is not working. it is doing some weird things. I plug in my 12 volt supply, and then the USB, and the audio cable. a box pops up that says there is an unrecognized USB device. I have installed the driver,and if I go into my device manager and uninstall, and reinstall the device, and then "upgrade" (reinstall) the driver, unplug the usb,and plug it back in, most of the time, it will recognize the device. I am running the most current version of HDSDR, and I have installed the Certificate for the driver. I have installed CFGSR version 2.3 into the same directory as HDSDR. everything is up and running, but all I hear is clicking, maybe 4 clicks per second I am receiving no signals at all. everything looks like it works, but it does not. I am running windows 7. I was also wondering, at the testing stage during the build were you use a receiver to hear the oscillator, should that be a full quieting signal? I was using a handheld scanner, and if I held the antenna close to the board, I was hearing clicking (maybe 4 clicks per second). I hope someone can point me in the right direction. thanks
      Jake
      KD7VEA
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2011
        Did you test the torroids for continuity? It's easy to get the primaries and secondary's mixed up when installing them.
        Also the enamel on the windings can cause some bad solder joints if not properly removed. Thats been a common problem.
        As far as hearing the local oscillator with the scanner it should be a strong signal.
        Check for a loose connection or bad solder joint around the att tiny and usb components.
        I would use the build and test notes on Robbie's web site and go thru all the stages again. http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/. There are also links in his web site that take you to good sites with discriptive information on the problems you are discribing.

        I bet you will get it working.

        Charles
        W4CEW

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jacob" <kd7vea@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone. I am new to the group, and SDR all together. I purchased a RX Ensemble II a couple of weeks ago, and I have been working on it for the last week or so. I finally have it complete, but it is not working. it is doing some weird things. I plug in my 12 volt supply, and then the USB, and the audio cable. a box pops up that says there is an unrecognized USB device. I have installed the driver,and if I go into my device manager and uninstall, and reinstall the device, and then "upgrade" (reinstall) the driver, unplug the usb,and plug it back in, most of the time, it will recognize the device. I am running the most current version of HDSDR, and I have installed the Certificate for the driver. I have installed CFGSR version 2.3 into the same directory as HDSDR. everything is up and running, but all I hear is clicking, maybe 4 clicks per second I am receiving no signals at all. everything looks like it works, but it does not. I am running windows 7. I was also wondering, at the testing stage during the build were you use a receiver to hear the oscillator, should that be a full quieting signal? I was using a handheld scanner, and if I held the antenna close to the board, I was hearing clicking (maybe 4 clicks per second). I hope someone can point me in the right direction. thanks
        > Jake
        > KD7VEA

      • jacob
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2011
          Thanks for the reply. I have been using wb5rvz.com for the entire build. I did all of the tests to show continuity on the toroids, and they checked out during the build. if I start from the begaining and do all of the tests, are they going to give me the same readings with the completed board? one thing that I was wondering about is the SI570. there are three connections on each side (north and south if laying the board lengthwise in front of you) but then on the ends where it has the two connections, there are actually three traces showing on the sides. right now, I only have 8 pins soldered to the board, should it be 12 pins soldered to the board? thanks for the help.
          Jake
          KD7VEA

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <c.oawright@...> wrote:

          > Did you test the torroids for continuity? It's easy to get the primaries and secondary's mixed up when installing them.
          > Also the enamel on the windings can cause some bad solder joints if not properly removed. Thats been a common problem.
          > As far as hearing the local oscillator with the scanner it should be a strong signal.
          > Check for a loose connection or bad solder joint around the att tiny and usb components.
          > I would use the build and test notes on Robbie's web site and go thru all the stages again. http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/. There are also links in his web site that take you to good sites with discriptive information on the problems you are discribing.
          >
          > I bet you will get it working.
          >
          > Charles
          > W4CEW
          >

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jacob" <kd7vea@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello everyone. I am new to the group, and SDR all together. I purchased a RX Ensemble II a couple of weeks ago, and I have been working on it for the last week or so. I finally have it complete, but it is not working. it is doing some weird things. I plug in my 12 volt supply, and then the USB, and the audio cable. a box pops up that says there is an unrecognized USB device. I have installed the driver,and if I go into my device manager and uninstall, and reinstall the device, and then "upgrade" (reinstall) the driver, unplug the usb,and plug it back in, most of the time, it will recognize the device. I am running the most current version of HDSDR, and I have installed the Certificate for the driver. I have installed CFGSR version 2.3 into the same directory as HDSDR. everything is up and running, but all I hear is clicking, maybe 4 clicks per second I am receiving no signals at all. everything looks like it works, but it does not. I am running windows 7. I was also wondering, at the testing stage during the build were you use a receiver to hear the oscillator, should that be a full quieting signal? I was using a handheld scanner, and if I held the antenna close to the board, I was hearing clicking (maybe 4 clicks per second). I hope someone can point me in the right direction. thanks
          > > Jake
          > > KD7VEA

        • Radhakrishnan R.
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2011
            Hi,
            Si570 has 8 pins and you need to solder those 8 pins only.
            Connect power to the Rx, connect the USB cable between the computer and RX,
            run CFGSR.exe and check the 'General' and 'Test' tabs
            to ensure proper working of the oscillator.
            All the best,
            rk

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2011
              Subject: [softrock40] RX Ensemble II is not working HELP!!!

              > Hello everyone. I am new to the group, and SDR all together. I purchased
              > a RX Ensemble II a couple of weeks ago, and I have been working on it for
              > the last week or so. I finally have it complete, but it is not working.

              Here are some pages intended for a beginner
              <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/home>

              >all I hear is clicking, maybe 4 clicks per second I am receiving no signals
              >at all. everything looks like it works, but it does not. I am running
              >windows 7. I was also wondering, at the testing stage during the build
              >were you use a receiver to hear the oscillator, should that be a full
              >quieting signal?

              Jake,

              This is a rather crude test so difficult to specify what strength you may
              find. The important thing is to hear the signal and verify it moves
              frequency. Is the clicking associated with this signal?

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • Charles
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2011
                Jake,
                The 8 pins, actually pads, of the si570 need to be soldered. Not sure what you mean about 12 pins there. The pins on each end are hard to solder and it's not uncommon to have bad solder joints in that area.
                After you resolder the si570 run CFGSR and listen to see if you can change frequency with the tune tab.
                The reason I suggested going through the build notes and tests again is sometimes you can miss something you didn't catch the first go around.
                Most of the time the troubles are solder splashes or bridges, bad solder joints, and maybe wrong value resistors or capacitors. The colors and tiny markings are sometimes tricky.
                Alan's site has a lot of good trouble shooting steps as well. He sent a reply to your message in this thread and recommend you take a look. His knowledge about these issues is far better than mine.
                I still bet you will get it working.
> [...]
                > > >
                > > > Hello everyone. I am new to the group, and SDR all together. I purchased a RX Ensemble II a couple of weeks ago, and I have been working on it for the last week or so. I finally have it complete, but it is not working. it is doing some weird things. I plug in my 12 volt supply, and then the USB, and the audio cable. a box pops up that says there is an unrecognized USB device. I have installed the driver,and if I go into my device manager and uninstall, and reinstall the device, and then "upgrade" (reinstall) the driver, unplug the usb,and plug it back in, most of the time, it will recognize the device. I am running the most current version of HDSDR, and I have installed the Certificate for the driver. I have installed CFGSR version 2.3 into the same directory as HDSDR. everything is up and running, but all I hear is clicking, maybe 4 clicks per second I am receiving no signals at all. everything looks like it works, but it does not. I am running windows 7. I was also wondering, at the testing stage during the build were you use a receiver to hear the oscillator, should that be a full quieting signal? I was using a handheld scanner, and if I held the antenna close to the board, I was hearing clicking (maybe 4 clicks per second). I hope someone can point me in the right direction. thanks

              • Sid Boyce
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 5, 2011
                  On the ends, solder the broad centre pad and be careful not to bridge to either of the two thin strips either side of them - i.e 8 pads.
                  73 ... SId.

                  --
                  Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                  Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support

                • jacob
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5, 2011
                    OK, that's what I was wondering about. I did not think I needed to solder the strips on the sides, so I made sure not to get them, but then I started wondering if maybe I needed them soldered. I think I will get a better tip for my soldering iron, and make sure I have a good contact on those. My tip is pretty worn out, and it has a big flat spot on the bottom. the surface mount regulator was a nightmare, but I got it.
                    Jake
                    KD7VEA

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 9, 2011
                      OK, I got it working, I went to radio shack and picked up a 20 watt iron with some very fine tips. That may have been the best $20 I have spent in a while. if I would of had that to begain with, this would have taken a lot less time to build, and I bet it would have work the first time. as stated, it was bad solder joints on the SI570. I listened to radio cuba last night for about an hour, and I am now listening to a net on 20 meters. I do have a couple of questions, first off, how do you get HDSDR to control the SI570 program. I tried moving the DLL file of the SI570 config tool to the folder containing my HDSDR program, and that did not do the trick. any hints? and secondly, where would I start checking for sensitivity issues. the signals are there, but they are week. I can key up my qrp 10 meter rig, with the antennas about 50 feet apart, and the signal is about -25DB. thanks for the help guys.
                      Jake
                      KD7VEA

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 9, 2011
                        From: "jacob"

                        > how do you get HDSDR to control the SI570 program. I tried moving the DLL
                        > file of the SI570 config tool to the folder containing my HDSDR program,

                        You have to enable it in HDSDR setup

                        >, where would I start checking for sensitivity issues. the signals are
                        >there, but they are week. I can key up my qrp 10 meter rig, with the
                        >antennas about 50 feet apart, and the signal is about -25DB. thanks for
                        >the help guys.

                        Jake,

                        Usually in the transformer winding or bad soldering to the coils.
                        A good clean hot bit is usually better than a small one.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • JOHN GREUSEL
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 9, 2011
                          Jacob,

                          There is specific instructions for configuring HDSDR for softrocks.

                          http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/ExtIO_Si570/

                          Regarding the weak reception.
                          There is often trouble with the transformers and properly tinned leads.
                          I would inspect the connections of all the inductors with a magnifier and good light.
                          If you suspect any, after careful inspection, rewind them and get fanatical about the cleaning and tinning. I found that I tended to not remove the coating close enough to the ferrite and would be soldering over insulation. Now I clean as close as possible to the core and I fold over some of the end of the wire (rather than snip all of it off) and solder that.
                          John
                          KC9OJV