[softrock40] Re: IF output from ts850s

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2011
      > Posted by: "aa9wqham@..." aa9wqham@...   aa9wq
      > Sun Oct 2, 2011 4:17 am (PDT)
      >

      > If you have a scope use it in place of the Softrock. The signals will appear
      > as a normal audio sine wave.
      >
      > Larry W9AMR

      I doubt it. 8.83MHz, is not exaclty "Audio". It will also be at a very
      low level, suitable to apply to the front end of another RX, not good for
      looking at on a 'scope.

      As someone else said, use another RX, tuned to 8.83MHz coupled to that
      "IF Out", and then tune the TS850 around some known signals. Depending
      on the structure of the TS850, what in the air is USB, might come out of
      the IF as LSB.

      Regards.

      Dave G0WBX.
    • Jose Bonanca
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2011
        finally we get a spot on response... Congrats.
        73

        --
        Jose (Ct1aos)
      • aa9wqham@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2011

          If you have a scope that goes to at least 10mhz(most do these days) you will see the signals. There will be a lot of signals jammed together if your using a antenna because of the wide band width. If you use a signal generator it will me a more usable view. It will be enough to tell you if your seeing the output of the mixer. I use a scope on the output of my BPF on my R390. It is 455kc so just about any scope will do that.
          Another RX will do the same thing. What ever is easier for you to try.

          Larry W9AMR

          In a message dated 10/3/2011 9:23:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jabct1aos@... writes:

          finally we get a spot on response... Congrats.
          73

          On 3 October 2011 14:20, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

          > Posted by: "aa9wqham@..." aa9wqham@...   aa9wq
          > Sun Oct 2, 2011 4:17 am (PDT)
          >

          > If you have a scope use it in place of the Softrock. The signals will appear
          > as a normal audio sine wave.
          >
          > Larry W9AMR

        • Lawrence Galea
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2011

            From 9Ħ1AV
            Just for information, when I started with my license in 1967 (is it that long? my my how time flies) I used a B28 or as it is also known a CR100 hotted up with various mods.

            Above 7 MĦz, I used an R208 which tuned from 10 MĦz to 60MĦz in three bands. It had a 2 MHz IF so I took an output from the detector IF tranfomer at 2 MHz and fed it into the B28 which was used as a tunable IF.

            This was for two reasons. Notwithstanding the very slow motion drive tuning was very fast on the B28 on the last band which covered 11 MĦz to 30 MĦz and stability was not that good.

            Tuning the 14 MĦz, 21 MĦz and 28MĦz which were the other available ĦF bands at the time on this setup was very fine with the B28 tuning being a sort of very fine bandspread, the main tuning being done on the R208. The R208 was deaf by itself but the combination worked very fine. This setup was also used with a 2 metre converter in front of the R208 resultign in a triple conversion overall receiver system as we had to do with we had available at the time. This was before I got an AR88D. All these receivers are still in good working conditions and in fact presently I am using the B28 to operate on 500 kĦz until I make a receiver ro a converter.

            So yes, you could use another receiver tuned to the TS850 IF so that you will be using your other receiver as a tunable IF and will hear signals in the IF passband of the TS850.

            Hope this explanation is clear enough.

            Regards
            Lawrence

            If you have a scope that goes to at least 10mhz(most do these days) you will see the signals. There will be a lot of signals jammed together if your using a antenna because of the wide band width. If you use a signal generator it will me a more usable view. It will be enough to tell you if your seeing the output of the mixer. I use a scope on the output of my BPF on my R390. It is 455kc so just about any scope will do that.
            Another RX will do the same thing. What ever is easier for you to try.

            Larry W9AMR

            In a message dated 10/3/2011 9:23:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jabct1aos@... writes:

            finally we get a spot on response... Congrats.
            73

            On 3 October 2011 14:20, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

            > Posted by: "aa9wqham@..." aa9wqham@...   aa9wq
            > Sun Oct 2, 2011 4:17 am (PDT)
            >

            > If you have a scope use it in place of the Softrock. The signals will appear
            > as a normal audio sine wave.
            >
            > Larry W9AMR

          • MELVYN
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2011
              Hi Joe,thanks for the reply,I have had a few more replies who have the same idea and as i dont have a scope its the one I will try when I can get hold of a receiver.
              I was just wondering if it would be possible to tune the ensemble rxii to 8.83 mhz and use that as I built one after the softrock lite and am very pleased with the quality.
              regards from mel G0DXK

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "falcongsr" <falcongsr@...> wrote:

              > I haven't tried this but it is an idea.
              >
              > If you couple a shortwave radio to the IF out and set the shortwave to 8.83MHz, and tune your TS850 to WWV and tune up and down +/- 20Khz from WWV, you should hear the WWV come in on the shortwave somewhere around 8.83MHz.
              >
              > Someone with more experience should chime in.
              >
              > Joe KJ6QBA
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "MELVYN" <melvyn.bedford1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > > I was just wondering if anyone knows how to check if the output from the IF at the back of the ts850 is working.
              > > The reason being I built the softrock lite using the crystal for the 40 meter band and then another crystal and alterations for 20 meters and both worked fine.
              > > I then obtained a crystal for 35.3mhz which gave me frequency near enough to 8.83 for the kenwood output but after checking everything I an capable of I can`t get anything on the screen after trying different software so just wondered if there is a simple way to check the IF output from the Kenwood.
              > > Best regards from Mel G0DXK

            • MELVYN
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2011
                Hi all,thanks for all the replies and i am going to try feeding the if into another rx,will keep you posted.
                Mel G0DXK