Ensemble RX II (HF) beginner lost

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
      When i hook up the softrock Ensemble RX II how do i make sure the output to the soundcard is actualy sending sound to soundcard? I hooked my ipod headphones up to the port and didn't hear anything. i have a Realtek onboard soundcard and if i hook my ipod up to the input on my soundcard i can hear the music in HDSDR so it made me curious if it was working rite. it was built and tested by tony himself so im sure it's assembled rite. all i hear with it plugged into sound card is static. the tuner is working great. if i load cfgsr and move the freq in hdsdr i can see it move in cfgsr as well. do i need a new soundcard?

      just starting into this hobby and this was a cheap option to get a reciever and listen till i get my license. then i would get a rxtx.

      pls help

      chris
    • aa9wqham@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
        Hi Chris

        The audio from the RX needs to go to the line in on the PC, not the line out or speaker. You will probably have to go in to the mixer control panel and check to see that line in is selected as the input, not the mic. Hope that helps.

        Larry W9AMR

        In a message dated 10/2/2011 4:29:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, furlongflorida@... writes:

        When i hook up the softrock Ensemble RX II how do i make sure the output to the soundcard is actualy sending sound to soundcard? I hooked my ipod headphones up to the port and didn't hear anything. i have a Realtek onboard soundcard and if i hook my ipod up to the input on my soundcard i can hear the music in HDSDR so it made me curious if it was working rite. it was built and tested by tony himself so im sure it's assembled rite. all i hear with it plugged into sound card is static. the tuner is working great. if i load cfgsr and move the freq in hdsdr i can see it move in cfgsr as well. do i need a new soundcard?

        just starting into this hobby and this was a cheap option to get a reciever and listen till i get my license. then i would get a rxtx.

        pls help

        chris

      • R. R. (Robby) Robson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
          Did you connect an antenna?

          --
          Cheers,
          Robby

          Richard R. (Robby) Robson
          LTC USA (RET)

        • Stu Capon
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
            The software will only give you sensible audio-out if a part of the
            spectrum with modulation is selected, I.E. use the waterfall display to
            look for something other than just uniform noise then tune to that and
            try USB/LSB (rather than CW)

            Some motherboard sound cards have multiple use ports so you may have to
            select "Line in" as an option after the radio is plugged in.

            I didn't see what OS you are using so maybe mention that (sorry if I
            missed it) then someone should be able to say the quickest way to fine
            up the input selection/levels etc. I think on my softrock I have the
            input at about 30-40% on my external sound card.
            Windows 7 - right click volume in system tray - select input device (I
            think - not at a win7 box right now)
            Most of the Windows offer things from right click on the volume.

            you should not hear the input itself (don't select "Listen to this
            device") you just want to make sure the correct sound card for input and
            output is selected in the software and that the sample rates are supported.
            If you pick an unsupported sample rate you may hear no output. The
            outgoing sample rate does not need to be high, no point in HIFI output
            on a signal that has a small range of frequencies.

            Give us a bit more detail.

            Stu Capon
            M0AQY
          • Chris Furlong
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
              Well thanks for all the different suggestions, I put a set of amplified speakers on the softrock and confirmed that I did have output, then I reconnected it to my computer and checked all the settings again. Come to find out the antenna I had was junk and wasn't picking up anything but noise, so I hooked it (the softrock ) up to about 20' of wire on the floor and bada bing I could here voices. Now to build a proper antenna, think I'm going with a random length wire with a 9:1 unun to reduce noise.

              Thanks for all the suggestions and help
              Chris

              Sent from my iPhone
            • w7qjq
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Furlong <furlongflorida@...> wrote:

                > Well thanks for all the different suggestions, I put a set of amplified speakers on the softrock and confirmed that I did have output, then I reconnected it to my computer and checked all the settings again. Come to find out the antenna I had was junk and wasn't picking up anything but noise, so I hooked it (the softrock ) up to about 20' of wire on the floor and bada bing I could here voices. Now to build a proper antenna, think I'm going with a random length wire with a 9:1 unun to reduce noise.
                >
                > Thanks for all the suggestions and help
                > Chris

                Chris, you also need an rf Ground if you are using "...a random length wire ". The rf input of the SoftRock is a transformer and like any transformer there must be current flow in the primary. A single, unbalanced wire on one side of the rf input and nothing on the other side is essentially an open-circuit (yes, there may be a few pF stray capacitance but too little to be useful), kind of like one hand clapping.
                Or, you can use a balanced antenna like a dipole which needs no Ground.

                73, Sid W7QJQ
                Oklahoma
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011