Rocky Frequency Control

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 30, 2011
      What is the secret to getting rocky to talk to the USB port and control
      the frequency. CFGSR and Winrad work fine. I haven't seen any posts
      that address this.
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 30, 2011
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Rocky Frequency Control

        > copy ExtIO_Si570.dll to program folder.

        Not needed.
        <http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570/40FreqRocky.txt>

        Look at the lower example.
        Obviously the drop-down selects the frequency.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • steve_m0zeh
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 30, 2011
          and copy this .ini file to your equivalent area on you pc. mine is here C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Afreet\Products\Rocky

          https://sites.google.com/site/f0af30026e3afa18/services/Rocky.ini?attredirects=0&d=1

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "steve_m0zeh" <hsdx@...> wrote:

          > copy ExtIO_Si570.dll to program folder.
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <engwelch@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What is the secret to getting rocky to talk to the USB port and control
          > > the frequency. CFGSR and Winrad work fine. I haven't seen any posts
          > > that address this.

        • Grant Wagner
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 30, 2011
            Special thanks for an ini file for larger frequencies. I'm glad to use
            something tested once I get that far in my build.

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 30, 2011
              Subject: [softrock40] Rocky Frequency Control

              > What is the secret to getting rocky to talk to the USB port and control
              > the frequency. CFGSR and Winrad work fine. I haven't seen any posts
              > that address this.

              We are assuming you saw this on the Rocky web site "Once the driver is
              installed, enable the Si570 support in Rocky by ticking the Use Si570-USB
              check box in the Settings dialog."

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • Lou Blasco
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                Thanks Steve,

                Copying ExtIO_Si570.dll to C:\Program Files\Afreet\Rocky worked for
                me. I am using Rocky 3.6 and my .ini file already had a number of
                frequencies written into it. I was able to add more frequencies to
                the file and Rocky would pick then up the next time it was started. I
                also found that I needed to use the Si570 calibrate function under
                Tools in Rocky so the frequency readout was correct.

                Regards

                Lou
                VK3ALB

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                  Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Rocky Frequency Control

                  > Thanks Steve,
                  >
                  > Copying ExtIO_Si570.dll to C:\Program Files\Afreet\Rocky worked for
                  > me.

                  Lou,

                  Please, to avoid confusion remove this file. When you find it still tunes
                  please tell us.

                  This file is only needed for other software such as Winrad, HDSDR.

                  >. I
                  > also found that I needed to use the Si570 calibrate function under
                  > Tools in Rocky so the frequency readout was correct.

                  This, again is not necessary. If you look here
                  <http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/CFGSR/> halfway down the page Fred
                  describes the procedure.

                  Here is another
                  way.<http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller>
                  it shows a one-time only setup of calibration that will make the calibration
                  correct for all software.
                  Doing it like you have will create confusion as you progress.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • Jose Bonanca
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                    Alan he just did what somebody recommended which is wrong.
                    To mishelp the best is do not give any help. If you don't know...
                    73

                    On 31 August 2011 10:36, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                    > Copying ExtIO_Si570.dll to C:\Program Files\Afreet\Rocky worked for
                    > me.

                    Lou,

                    Please, to avoid confusion remove this file. When you find it still tunes
                    please tell us.

                    This file is only needed for other software such as Winrad, HDSDR.

                    >. I
                    > also found that I needed to use the Si570 calibrate function under
                    > Tools in Rocky so the frequency readout was correct.

                    This, again is not necessary. If you look here
                    <http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/CFGSR/> halfway down the page Fred
                    describes the procedure.

                    Here is another
                    way.<http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller>
                    it shows a one-time only setup of calibration that will make the calibration
                    correct for all software.
                    Doing it like you have will create confusion as you progress.

                    Jose (Ct1aos)
                  • Lou Blasco
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                      Hi Alan,

                      Yes it still tunes once the file is removed and now that I understand
                      how the ini file works I can see that I may have been confused by the
                      incorrect frequency calibration that I experienced. Once I could add
                      WWV to the frequency list I found that there was a mismatch between
                      the displayed frequency and the actual received frequency.

                      So I ran a test buy restoring the original .ini file and removing
                      C:\Program Files\Afreet\Rocky\ExtIO_Si570.dll

                      I used CFGSR to calibrate the Si570 and confirmed that the output
                      frequency was indeed the same as the "Requested Frequency" on the tune tab.
                      I confirmed that PSDR worked correctly and WWV or a signal from a
                      generator were found in exactly the right spot on the dial.
                      I used CFGSR to set the LO and entered that frequency into Rocky
                      (single band and no Si570-USB), again signals were shown on the right
                      spot on the dial.
                      Then I used Rocky to tune Select Multi-Band and Si570-USB 85,4 I
                      found I had a frequency readout error of 5kHz.
                      If I use the calibrate function in Rocky my frequency readout is then
                      accurate and all my previous tests still hold true.

                      I think I was tricked by this frequency error and when I copied the
                      dll into the program directory I just happened to fluke finding a
                      signal that was tunable albeit off frequency. However, I still think
                      the calibrate function is required if Rocky is to control the
                      receiver accurately.

                      Lou

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011

                        > I used CFGSR to calibrate the Si570 and confirmed that the output
                        > frequency was indeed the same as the "Requested Frequency" on the tune
                        > tab.
                        > I confirmed that PSDR worked correctly and WWV or a signal from a
                        > generator were found in exactly the right spot on the dial.
                        > I used CFGSR to set the LO and entered that frequency into Rocky
                        > (single band and no Si570-USB), again signals were shown on the right
                        > spot on the dial.
                        > Then I used Rocky to tune Select Multi-Band and Si570-USB 85,4 I
                        > found I had a frequency readout error of 5kHz.
                        > If I use the calibrate function in Rocky my frequency readout is then
                        > accurate and all my previous tests still hold true.

                        Lou,

                        Your trouble is that you altered Rocky's calibration figure.
                        It needs to be set back to default. Maybe you have actually done that
                        without realising.

                        The calibration with CFGSR, if done accurately, ensures that any SDR program
                        will tune accurately provided you do not touch the software calibration.
                        It does not matter too much until you get your second Softrock... that's
                        when the one-time calibration is really essential.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • Lou Blasco
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                          Hi Alan,

                          I assume the calibration is held inside the .ini file which is why I
                          took a copy before I started messing with copying files and fiddling
                          with the calibration. I guess it's possible that the original .ini
                          file was damaged. How do I know what the default calibration value should be?

                          Lou

                          At 21:42 31/08/2011, you wrote:

> [...]
                        • grahamg3zod
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011

                            The balance information appears to be kept in Rocky's "bal" subdirectory, which contains a set of files named IQBalance<x>dat where x depends on the frequency range and sampling rate.

                            73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
                            http://www.fists.co.uk

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011

                              > Hi Alan,
                              >
                              > I assume the calibration is held inside the .ini file which is why I
                              > took a copy before I started messing with copying files and fiddling
                              > with the calibration. I guess it's possible that the original .ini
                              > file was damaged. How do I know what the default calibration value should
                              > be?

                              Lou

                              Well, I had to look for that. I've got this in mine

                              UseSi570=1
                              Si570Calibration=2.097152
                              Si570_I2cAddr=85

                              Seems an obscure number but that is default.

                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                            • Jose Bonanca
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                                Relative to RoCKY thats not true. the extio does not have to be in the computer at all unless you use WINRAD...
                                OK ????
                                73

                                On 31 August 2011 15:18, steve_m0zeh <hsdx@...> wrote:

                                ok, for further clarification the ExtIO_Si570.dll is required to communicate with the USB device. The file does not have to be in the
                                Rocky folder but does have to be installed to the computer and the Rocky folder is as good a place as any. Happy Hamming Steve-M0ZEH

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                                  You are correct!! it is the AVR USB driver you need. Sorry if I confused anyone. Steve M0ZEH

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jose Bonanca <jabct1aos@...> wrote:

                                  > Relative to RoCKY thats not true. the extio does not have to be in the
                                  > computer at all unless you use WINRAD...
                                  > OK ????
                                  > 73
                                  >

                                  > On 31 August 2011 15:18, steve_m0zeh <hsdx@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > ok, for further clarification the ExtIO_Si570.dll is required to
                                  > > communicate with the USB device. The file does not have to be in the
                                  > > Rocky folder but does have to be installed to the computer and the Rocky
                                  > > folder is as good a place as any. Happy Hamming Steve-M0ZEH

                                • Lou Blasco
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                                    This morning I did a bit of checking with the rocky.ini files on my
                                    PC and found the following.

                                    original file Si570Calibration=2.0999706272419
                                    my file Si570Calibration=2.09715486295881
                                    new file Si570Calibration=2.097152

                                    Somehow the .ini file was changed. Did I do it? Probably, I don't
                                    remember changing it but it seems the most logical reason for the
                                    change. I created a new .ini file by deleting rocky.ini and starting
                                    Rocky again. Looks like I did the right thing for the wrong reason.
                                    The new file is now installed and configured with my favorite
                                    frequencies and there is happiness in the shack once more.

                                    Lou
                                    VK3ALB

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011

                                      > Somehow the .ini file was changed. Did I do it? Probably, I don't
                                      > remember changing it

                                      Lou,

                                      This is changed when you alter the calibration within Rocky.
                                      You did the easiest thing, deleting the ini file will erase any bad
                                      configuration.