HDSDR

  • Ken Chase
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 21, 2011
      Does a manual exist for HDSDR?

      73

      Ken VA3ABN
    • alanzfq
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 21, 2011
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Chase" <chase8043@...> wrote:

        > Does a manual exist for HDSDR?

        Ken

        No, look at the web page and the mouseovers.
        And just play with it.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Ken Chase
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 21, 2011
          What is the purpose of tuning frequency of LO and a seperate frequency tuning.

          73

          Ken VA3ABN

            The LO is where you are tuning near. The other is what you're listening to. The LO causes its own noise in the receiver, so you can't ear what is there very well or at all, so you can set the LO near a frequency of interest (I usually go about 8khz away) and then tune to the frequency you want.

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 21, 2011
              >What is the purpose of tuning frequency of LO and a seperate frequency
              >tuning.

              LO sets band centre.
            • Ken Chase
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 22, 2011
                Hi Alan

                Reason I am asking is that I couldn't get the tuning to track the frequency properly with Version 2. For example if I set LO to 10 MHZ for WWV and use this to calibrate the frequency, the tuning displayed 10 MHZ. But if I set the LO higher or lower than 10 MHZ and manually tuned to WWV, the displayed frequency was not 10 MHZ. I saw that was a new version of HDSDR so I installed it and my displayed frequency is now correct.

                73

                Ken VA3ABN

                >What is the purpose of tuning frequency of LO and a seperate frequency
                >tuning.

                LO sets band centre.

              • Gary
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2011
                  Don't rem seeing it posted on here yet or not, but HDSDR has been updated to version 2.11 date 28 Nov 2011 just as FYI for the group.

                  73

                  Gary, N5XED
                • Bruce Tanner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2011
                    Very nice. Thank you.  Should you wish to receive Commercial FM with the FCD be sure to change the sample rate to 192000  and the Audio Out to 96000.. Fidelity is quite good with those settings.

                    bet
                    ---

                    On 12/3/2011 9:53 AM, Gary wrote:

                    Don't rem seeing it posted on here yet or not, but HDSDR has been updated to version 2.11 date 28 Nov 2011 just as FYI for the group.

                    73

                    Gary, N5XED

                    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6680 (20111203) __________

                    http://www.eset.com
                  • lc_hdsdr
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2011
                      Hi,

                      unfortunately there is no manual - and nobody to write it.
                      But we try to keep the software as self-explaining as possible: so check the tooltips on mouseover. You may also check the keyboard shortcuts which is installed with the setup. The Changelog may be very useful, too.

                      If you insist on a manual check Alberto's manual for Winrad. Some portions are some outdated, but the basics are still the same.

                      kind regards,
                      LC

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                        From: "Chris
                        Subject: Re: [softrock40] RXTX ensemble Trouble

                        > Speaking of HDSDR, should you be able to change main frequency, not
                        > just LO frequency in the HDSDR display using the mouse? I can only
                        > change LO,

                        Chris,

                        You may only tune like that within the range of the LO, consider it fixed.

                        But there are several ways of tuning, drag the scale, look at the htm in the program file for keyboard shortcuts. Use the numeric
                        keypad.

                        and often after that there are odd anomalies, such as the
                        > main frequency doesn't track it until I click on the waterfall, or, as

                        Hm?

                        > in this posters case, the USB connection drops.

                        This should never happen.

                        > Finally, if I try and create a "user" frequency in frequency manager
                        > and save it the whole application locks up, to the point I need task
                        > Manager to kill it.

                        Well, I've got a dozen User frequencies set and never a problem.

                        HDSDR v 2.15 has always worked well for me. Maybe it's something with you, or your setup.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • Glen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
                          Hello,

                          My HDSDR works just fine with the Ensemble two on an antenna.

                          However, today I hooked it up to the K3 IF output at 8.215Mhz. I went into
                          HDSR and changed
                          the RF Front End from antenna to IF, and told it to use HRD as the radio
                          interface.

                          The display DOES show the correct frequency of the K3 and tracks. The
                          display shows nothing except
                          the normal background noise generated from the Ensemble 2. I unplug the
                          Ensemble 2 from the sound
                          card, and the noise drops a bit.

                          Has anyone done this? Is there a better panadapter program out there that
                          works with the Ensemble 2?

                          PowerSDR says it works with the softrock 40, but nothing I changed would
                          make it work there either,
                          not even noise.

                          TIA and happy father's day!

                          73's

                          Glen K4KV
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013

                            > However, today I hooked it up to the K3 IF output at 8.215Mhz. I went into
                            > HDSR and changed
                            > the RF Front End from antenna to IF, and told it to use HRD as the radio
                            > interface.
                            >
                            > The display DOES show the correct frequency of the K3 and tracks. The
                            > display shows nothing except
                            > the normal background noise generated from the Ensemble 2. I unplug the
                            > Ensemble 2 from the sound
                            > card, and the noise drops a bit.

                            Glen

                            Do you see anything when you just connect the Softrock to the K3 IF and tune it to 8.215MHz? Without any extra settings in HDSDR.
                            It should work, HDSDR will just stay at 8.215, not show the true frequency the K3 is tuned to.

                            If you do see signals then maybe you did not setup things correctly. <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano> shows
                            my setup although I've not tried HRD.
                            Of course HDSDR is expecting a fixed-tuned SDR. I do not know if the ExtIO may be used. I've always used HDSDR without the DLL and
                            set the startup frequency with CFGSR.

                            > Has anyone done this? Is there a better panadapter program out there that
                            > works with the Ensemble 2?
                            >
                            > PowerSDR says it works with the softrock 40, but nothing I changed would
                            > make it work there either,
                            > not even noise.

                            Any software should show signals when tuned around 8.215. If it does not it is something wrong with your setup.
                            There is an IF version of PSDR but that will not help you now.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 17, 2013

                              > However, today I hooked it up to the K3 IF output at 8.215Mhz. I went into
                              > HDSR and changed
                              > the RF Front End from antenna to IF, and told it to use HRD as the radio
                              > interface.
                              >
                              > The display DOES show the correct frequency of the K3 and tracks. The
                              > display shows nothing except
                              > the normal background noise generated from the Ensemble 2. I unplug the
                              > Ensemble 2 from the sound
                              > card, and the noise drops a bit.

                              Glen

                              I said :-"Of course HDSDR is expecting a fixed-tuned SDR. I do not know if the ExtIO may be used. I've always used HDSDR without the
                              DLL and set the startup frequency with CFGSR."

                              I have now checked, setting "IF-frequency:" in HDSDR should set the Softrock to your chosen centre frequency. No need to do it my
                              way.

                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                            • Ken Chase
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
                                Hi all

                                It's been over a year since I've played with the V9 and RXTX. I've installed the lastest CFGSR and HDSDR. I seem to remember HDSDR having a phase 'circle' on the interface to tune the carrier. Has it been replaced with the 'TUNE' changing color with the carrier signal?

                                73

                                Ken VA3ABN
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013

                                  >It's been over a year since I've played with the V9 and RXTX. I've installed the lastest CFGSR and HDSDR. I seem to remember HDSDR
                                  >having a phase 'circle' on the interface to tune the carrier. Has it been replaced with the 'TUNE' changing color with the carrier
                                  >signal?

                                  Ken,

                                  No, it's on the Calibration option.

                                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                • Ken Chase
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
                                    Thanks Allan. I found your link explaining the features in HDSDR.

                                    73

                                    Ken VA3ABN