Re: RXTX Ensemble set-up - help.......again

  • sv1eia
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2011
      Hi Larry,

      There is a guide for PSDR-IQ installation in Robby's excellent pages
      -> http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/psdriq.htm

      Since as you say it was working, you have to find out what changes you've done lately.

      73,
      Christos SV1EIA

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "lbcopas" <lbcopas@...> wrote:

      > Charles and Tony and all, Thanks for your help - I need it! I had PSDR I-Q version on my computer two days ago. It worked up to the point of the Flex having control of the Si570. I could vary the frequency above and below 7.05 and hear the tone change on 28.2 of my FT101. So, I know that much works. BUT, I'm getting NO radio signals. A month ago, I received CW and SSB and WWV, so I know what that looks and sounds like. But now, - nothing but static. The panadapter looks like it did when I was receiving radio signals, before, except there are no peaks, now. There's no difference if I unplug the antenna or the line-in to the computer. I'm missing something. Before I re-install PSDR I-Q again, what do I need to down load first? (I have removed all traces of the previous versions from the computer). I wonder if I did the set-up wrong. Also, I used the built in stereo, sound card in the Acer 3690 laptop and I disabled the mic input. It worked before and it now says it has the proper, current driver in it. I'm really frustrated. Thanks for your help, guys.
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Charles <c.oawright@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > ...I do't think the versions listed on the Power SDR site will work with
      > > > the softrock....
      > > >

      > > > I don't think so either. Larry, I don't think you could have been using
      > > 2.0.22 because it is Flex specific and is looking for I-Q input via the Flex
      > > USB or Firewire driver. Same goes for the latest Flex update. I think you'll
      > > have a better chance to get your Softrock to work if you delete both of them
      > > completely and install PSDR I-Q as Charles suggests.
      > >
      > > Tony KT0NY

    • larry copas
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2011
        Christos,  Thanks, that sounds reasonable. The problem is that I had to completely re-install windows Vista onto my laptop. My hard drive was reformatted. I lost five years worth of add-ons  and everything else that may have helped my sound system work properly. The computer has the latest Realtek driver and I've done the audio test on the PSDR, set-up 'test' page and hear different tones but I'm not sure just what this signifies. - maybe that the test tone is getting OUT but not, necessarily, IN ?
         Another concern I have is that we've had some thunderstorms in the area and I wonder if an EMF got into the RXTX board and fried something. I can still vary the frequency of the Si570 and hear it on the Ft101. How can I test to see if the board is processing the signal from the antenna and making it out of the 'line-in' cable? I don't have a 'scope - only a yeasu, ft101 as test gear.  So, two problems: Am I getting a proper signal into the computer and is the PSDR program receiving the signal from the sound car?  Please, how can I test thesse?  Thank you very much.  larry
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2011
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX Ensemble set-up - help.......again

          > How can I test to see if the board is processing the signal from the
          > antenna and making it out of the 'line-in' cable? I don't have a 'scope -

          Have you got heaphones? Plug them in the Sotrock and tune it. You should
          hear some radio-sounding signals if you do that on a band that is busy.

          > Am I getting a proper signal into the computer and is the PSDR program
          > receiving the signal from the sound car? Please, how can I test thesse?

          Just touch the plug that goes to the Softrock. If the audio is setup then
          the PSDR display will fluctuate. Headphones in the line out, should show a
          LOUD noise on TX AM.

          Scopes, sig-gens, who needs them?

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • sv1eia
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2011
            > Another concern I have is that we've had some thunderstorms in the area and I wonder if an EMF got into the RXTX board and fried something.

            I had a similar issue when a lightning was near my antenna, it fried the BS170 that was according to the schematic close to the antenna connector in my SoftRock.
            After that the receiver was 'deaf', I changed the BS170 and everything went back to normal.

            Yet that needs checking if it is the same cause in your situation.

            73,
            Christos SV1EIA

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2011
              Alan, Christos and all,  Woopee ! - It's fixed ! As per Alan's suggestion, I plugged earphones into 'line-in' and heard nothing. I looked on schematic as per Christos and replaced Q-10. That did it! Sure is good to hear it again. Thank you, thank you. Gotta remember to unplug antenna when storms are around. Ha.  I was very close to getting out my 10 ounce, ball peen 'adjustment devise'.  Thanks, guys. larry