Re: RXTX Ensemble set-up - help.......again

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 30, 2011
      Instructions for the si570 here
      http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/SR-V9-Si570/index.shtml#install
      Power SDR software here
      powersdr-iq powersdr-iq down load ver 1.19.3.15
      Follow the setup instruction on this web site and pay particular attention to the Vista notes.
      http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/
      Best if you use a Delta 44 sound device if you want to transmit.
      Some have been able to make two sound devices work and able to transmit. Creative 5.1 device and USB headset.

      Vista is sort of nasty with user account controls UAC. You will have to turn it off to allow some programms to load.

      I am using Vista and a Delta 44 with my set up and am using the PSDR version listed. It works very well on all modes.
      I do't think the versions listed on the Power SDR site will work with the softrock.
      I may be leaving something out. Set mine up about a year ago and may have forgotten a step or two

      Charles
      W4CEW

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "lbcopas" <lbcopas@...> wrote:

      > A month ago I had the RX part working - mostly. I believe I was using PSDR 2.0.22 (can't be positive, I've had a couple different versions on the computer). I could tune CW & SSB on 20,30&40 and WWV on 10 meters. (so, at least, I know the hardware works) Then, due to a great misfortune, I had to re-format my computer with new Windows, Vista. It wiped out everything. Since then,I've tried a couple different versions of PSDR and can't get any of them to work. While researching, I found Flex Radio V 2.1.5. It claims to contain ALL of the software and drivers for the Flex radio. My question: Is this the preferred software for Tony's,RXTX Ensemble? Is there anything I need to install FIRST, like 'skins', or libusb.dll or...? I've been struggling with this for -three- whole- days- and am very frustrated. Can someone, PLEASE, walk me through this---PLEASE ? Thanks, larry, ka7ilh, tucson.

    • Tony Estep
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 30, 2011
        On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Charles <c.oawright@...> wrote:

        ...I do't think the versions listed on the Power SDR site will work with the softrock....

        I don't think so either. Larry, I don't think you could have been using 2.0.22 because it is Flex specific and is looking for I-Q input via the Flex USB or Firewire driver. Same goes for the latest Flex update. I think you'll have a better chance to get your Softrock to work if you delete both of them completely and install PSDR I-Q as Charles suggests.

        Tony KT0NY

      • lbcopas
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 31, 2011
          Charles and Tony and all, Thanks for your help - I need it! I had PSDR I-Q version on my computer two days ago. It worked up to the point of the Flex having control of the Si570. I could vary the frequency above and below 7.05 and hear the tone change on 28.2 of my FT101. So, I know that much works. BUT, I'm getting NO radio signals. A month ago, I received CW and SSB and WWV, so I know what that looks and sounds like. But now, - nothing but static. The panadapter looks like it did when I was receiving radio signals, before, except there are no peaks, now. There's no difference if I unplug the antenna or the line-in to the computer. I'm missing something. Before I re-install PSDR I-Q again, what do I need to down load first? (I have removed all traces of the previous versions from the computer). I wonder if I did the set-up wrong. Also, I used the built in stereo, sound card in the Acer 3690 laptop and I disabled the mic input. It worked before and it now says it has the proper, current driver in it. I'm really frustrated. Thanks for your help, guys.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@...> wrote:

          > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Charles <c.oawright@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > ...I do't think the versions listed on the Power SDR site will work with
          > > the softrock....
          > >

          > > I don't think so either. Larry, I don't think you could have been using
          > 2.0.22 because it is Flex specific and is looking for I-Q input via the Flex
          > USB or Firewire driver. Same goes for the latest Flex update. I think you'll
          > have a better chance to get your Softrock to work if you delete both of them
          > completely and install PSDR I-Q as Charles suggests.
          >
          > Tony KT0NY

        • EB4APL
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 31, 2011
            Larry,

            To rule out any sound system problem, just disconnect the audio cable that goes to the PC line input from the Ensemble side and touch the tip with a finger, you should seen a oeak in the display, around 9 KHz down from the center.  If not, double check the audio configuration.

            73 de Ignacio, eb4apl

            On 31/07/2011 16:57, lbcopas wrote:

            Charles and Tony and all, Thanks for your help - I need it! I had PSDR I-Q version on my computer two days ago. It worked up to the point of the Flex having control of the Si570. I could vary the frequency above and below 7.05 and hear the tone change on 28.2 of my FT101. So, I know that much works. BUT, I'm getting NO radio signals. A month ago, I received CW and SSB and WWV, so I know what that looks and sounds like. But now, - nothing but static. The panadapter looks like it did when I was receiving radio signals, before, except there are no peaks, now. There's no difference if I unplug the antenna or the line-in to the computer. I'm missing something. Before I re-install PSDR I-Q again, what do I need to down load first? (I have removed all traces of the previous versions from the computer). I wonder if I did the set-up wrong. Also, I used the built in stereo, sound card in the Acer 3690 laptop and I disabled the mic input. It worked before and it now says it has the proper, current driver in it. I'm really frustrated. Thanks for your help, guys.

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@...> wrote:

            > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Charles <c.oawright@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > ...I do't think the versions listed on the Power SDR site will work with
            > > the softrock....
            > >

            > > I don't think so either. Larry, I don't think you could have been using
            > 2.0.22 because it is Flex specific and is looking for I-Q input via the Flex
            > USB or Firewire driver. Same goes for the latest Flex update. I think you'll
            > have a better chance to get your Softrock to work if you delete both of them
            > completely and install PSDR I-Q as Charles suggests.
            >
            > Tony KT0NY

          • EB4APL
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 31, 2011
              Well, I discovered a pair of typos in my answer.
              I meant you should see a peak in the display but since I was just reasoning, I ran the program, and did the test: not just a peak but a lot f grass will grow in a big party of the panadapter.  BTW, I did the test in an Acer laptop with stereo input using its own AC97 audio.
              If you don't see that, check PSDR audio configuration and the sound input mixer.  It works even without the radio connected in any way or the Si570 driver running.

              73 de ignacio, EB4APL

              On 31/07/2011 20:53, EB4APL wrote:

              Larry,

              To rule out any sound system problem, just disconnect the audio cable that goes to the PC line input from the Ensemble side and touch the tip with a finger, you should seen a oeak in the display, around 9 KHz down from the center.  If not, double check the audio configuration.

              73 de Ignacio, eb4apl

              On 31/07/2011 16:57, lbcopas wrote:

              Charles and Tony and all, Thanks for your help - I need it! I had PSDR I-Q version on my computer two days ago. It worked up to the point of the Flex having control of the Si570. I could vary the frequency above and below 7.05 and hear the tone change on 28.2 of my FT101. So, I know that much works. BUT, I'm getting NO radio signals. A month ago, I received CW and SSB and WWV, so I know what that looks and sounds like. But now, - nothing but static. The panadapter looks like it did when I was receiving radio signals, before, except there are no peaks, now. There's no difference if I unplug the antenna or the line-in to the computer. I'm missing something. Before I re-install PSDR I-Q again, what do I need to down load first? (I have removed all traces of the previous versions from the computer). I wonder if I did the set-up wrong. Also, I used the built in stereo, sound card in the Acer 3690 laptop and I disabled the mic input. It worked before and it now says it has the proper, current driver in it. I'm really frustrated. Thanks for your help, guys.

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@...> wrote:

              > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Charles <c.oawright@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > ...I do't think the versions listed on the Power SDR site will work with
              > > the softrock....
              > >

              > > I don't think so either. Larry, I don't think you could have been using
              > 2.0.22 because it is Flex specific and is looking for I-Q input via the Flex
              > USB or Firewire driver. Same goes for the latest Flex update. I think you'll
              > have a better chance to get your Softrock to work if you delete both of them
              > completely and install PSDR I-Q as Charles suggests.
              >
              > Tony KT0NY

            • Charles
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2011
                If the current Flex version is in its own directory I think you can just leave it there. Someone correct me if Im wrong please.
                Here is the link for modified Flex software that works with the Softrock.
                http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
                The skins are at this link as well as a few help and instruction files.
                I know it's not healthy but when I got frustrated and ready to sling the pile out the window I would take a break smoke a few Winston's and drink a few cups of coffee and get back on it.
                It will work, but don't really recommend the Winston's and coffee.
                Well coffee is ok as long as its Folgers Arabica beans grown in Colombia.

                Good Luck
                Charles
                W4CEW

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "lbcopas" <lbcopas@...> wrote:

                > Charles and Tony and all, Thanks for your help - I need it! I had PSDR I-Q version on my computer two days ago. It worked up to the point of the Flex having control of the Si570. I could vary the frequency above and below 7.05 and hear the tone change on 28.2 of my FT101. So, I know that much works. BUT, I'm getting NO radio signals. A month ago, I received CW and SSB and WWV, so I know what that looks and sounds like. But now, - nothing but static. The panadapter looks like it did when I was receiving radio signals, before, except there are no peaks, now. There's no difference if I unplug the antenna or the line-in to the computer. I'm missing something. Before I re-install PSDR I-Q again, what do I need to down load first? (I have removed all traces of the previous versions from the computer). I wonder if I did the set-up wrong. Also, I used the built in stereo, sound card in the Acer 3690 laptop and I disabled the mic input. It worked before and it now says it has the proper, current driver in it. I'm really frustrated. Thanks for your help, guys.
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@> wrote:
                > >
                > > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Charles <c.oawright@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > ...I do't think the versions listed on the Power SDR site will work with
                > > > the softrock....
                > > >

                > > > I don't think so either. Larry, I don't think you could have been using
                > > 2.0.22 because it is Flex specific and is looking for I-Q input via the Flex
                > > USB or Firewire driver. Same goes for the latest Flex update. I think you'll
                > > have a better chance to get your Softrock to work if you delete both of them
                > > completely and install PSDR I-Q as Charles suggests.
                > >
                > > Tony KT0NY

              • lbcopas
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31, 2011
                  Charles and Ignacio, Thanks. That's the one I downloaded this morning. I spent two hours looking for skins then read that they're included in the software. Well, not in this one, apparently. And I still get no radio signals. I was hoping that Ignacio's idea would cure it but, sadly, no. I DO get a raise in the level of static when I touch the tip of the line-in cable. I'm done. I have spent, at least, six hours a day for the past four days working on this. It's not even remotely fun anymore. Thanks for all your help. Adios larry

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <c.oawright@...> wrote:

                  > If the current Flex version is in its own directory I think you can just leave it there. Someone correct me if Im wrong please.
                  > Here is the link for modified Flex software that works with the Softrock.
                  > http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
                  > The skins are at this link as well as a few help and instruction files.
                  > I know it's not healthy but when I got frustrated and ready to sling the pile out the window I would take a break smoke a few Winston's and drink a few cups of coffee and get back on it.
                  > It will work, but don't really recommend the Winston's and coffee.
                  > Well coffee is ok as long as its Folgers Arabica beans grown in Colombia.
                  >
                  > Good Luck
                  > Charles
                  > W4CEW
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "lbcopas" <lbcopas@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Charles and Tony and all, Thanks for your help - I need it! I had PSDR I-Q version on my computer two days ago. It worked up to the point of the Flex having control of the Si570. I could vary the frequency above and below 7.05 and hear the tone change on 28.2 of my FT101. So, I know that much works. BUT, I'm getting NO radio signals. A month ago, I received CW and SSB and WWV, so I know what that looks and sounds like. But now, - nothing but static. The panadapter looks like it did when I was receiving radio signals, before, except there are no peaks, now. There's no difference if I unplug the antenna or the line-in to the computer. I'm missing something. Before I re-install PSDR I-Q again, what do I need to down load first? (I have removed all traces of the previous versions from the computer). I wonder if I did the set-up wrong. Also, I used the built in stereo, sound card in the Acer 3690 laptop and I disabled the mic input. It worked before and it now says it has the proper, current driver in it. I'm really frustrated. Thanks for your help, guys.
                  > >
                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@> wrote:

                  > > > 2.0.22 because it is Flex specific and is looking for I-Q input via the Flex
                  > > > USB or Firewire driver. Same goes for the latest Flex update. I think you'll
                  > > > have a better chance to get your Softrock to work if you delete both of them
                  > > > completely and install PSDR I-Q as Charles suggests.
                  > > >
                  > > > Tony KT0NY

                • Charles
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31, 2011
                    Failed to mention the skins are on the Power-iq web as well.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 31, 2011
                      Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX Ensemble set-up - help.......again

                      > If the current Flex version is in its own directory I think you can just
                      > leave it there. Someone correct me if Im wrong please.
                      > Here is the link for modified Flex software that works with the Softrock.
                      > http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
                      > The skins are at this link as well as a few help and instruction files.

                      Charles,

                      Not exactly at that link.
                      On that page it says
                      "Preview version of the New and Improved (v2.x) PowerSDR-IQ (XP/Vista
                      32bit) support only for USBtoI2C with DG8SAQ and PE0FKO firmware, GUI skins
                      are in <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/files/> . "

                      Join that group, the links page is very useful.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • sv1eia
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1, 2011
                        Hi Larry,

                        There is a guide for PSDR-IQ installation in Robby's excellent pages
                        -> http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/psdriq.htm

                        Since as you say it was working, you have to find out what changes you've done lately.

                        73,
                        Christos SV1EIA

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "lbcopas" <lbcopas@...> wrote:

                        > Charles and Tony and all, Thanks for your help - I need it! I had PSDR I-Q version on my computer two days ago. It worked up to the point of the Flex having control of the Si570. I could vary the frequency above and below 7.05 and hear the tone change on 28.2 of my FT101. So, I know that much works. BUT, I'm getting NO radio signals. A month ago, I received CW and SSB and WWV, so I know what that looks and sounds like. But now, - nothing but static. The panadapter looks like it did when I was receiving radio signals, before, except there are no peaks, now. There's no difference if I unplug the antenna or the line-in to the computer. I'm missing something. Before I re-install PSDR I-Q again, what do I need to down load first? (I have removed all traces of the previous versions from the computer). I wonder if I did the set-up wrong. Also, I used the built in stereo, sound card in the Acer 3690 laptop and I disabled the mic input. It worked before and it now says it has the proper, current driver in it. I'm really frustrated. Thanks for your help, guys.
                        >
                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Estep <esteptony@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Charles <c.oawright@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > **
                        > > >

                        > > > ...I do't think the versions listed on the Power SDR site will work with
                        > > > the softrock....
                        > > >

                        > > > I don't think so either. Larry, I don't think you could have been using
                        > > 2.0.22 because it is Flex specific and is looking for I-Q input via the Flex
                        > > USB or Firewire driver. Same goes for the latest Flex update. I think you'll
                        > > have a better chance to get your Softrock to work if you delete both of them
                        > > completely and install PSDR I-Q as Charles suggests.
                        > >
                        > > Tony KT0NY

                      • larry copas
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 3, 2011
                          Christos,  Thanks, that sounds reasonable. The problem is that I had to completely re-install windows Vista onto my laptop. My hard drive was reformatted. I lost five years worth of add-ons  and everything else that may have helped my sound system work properly. The computer has the latest Realtek driver and I've done the audio test on the PSDR, set-up 'test' page and hear different tones but I'm not sure just what this signifies. - maybe that the test tone is getting OUT but not, necessarily, IN ?
                           Another concern I have is that we've had some thunderstorms in the area and I wonder if an EMF got into the RXTX board and fried something. I can still vary the frequency of the Si570 and hear it on the Ft101. How can I test to see if the board is processing the signal from the antenna and making it out of the 'line-in' cable? I don't have a 'scope - only a yeasu, ft101 as test gear.  So, two problems: Am I getting a proper signal into the computer and is the PSDR program receiving the signal from the sound car?  Please, how can I test thesse?  Thank you very much.  larry
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 3, 2011

                            > How can I test to see if the board is processing the signal from the
                            > antenna and making it out of the 'line-in' cable? I don't have a 'scope -

                            Have you got heaphones? Plug them in the Sotrock and tune it. You should
                            hear some radio-sounding signals if you do that on a band that is busy.

                            > Am I getting a proper signal into the computer and is the PSDR program
                            > receiving the signal from the sound car? Please, how can I test thesse?

                            Just touch the plug that goes to the Softrock. If the audio is setup then
                            the PSDR display will fluctuate. Headphones in the line out, should show a
                            LOUD noise on TX AM.

                            Scopes, sig-gens, who needs them?

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • sv1eia
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 3, 2011
                              > Another concern I have is that we've had some thunderstorms in the area and I wonder if an EMF got into the RXTX board and fried something.

                              I had a similar issue when a lightning was near my antenna, it fried the BS170 that was according to the schematic close to the antenna connector in my SoftRock.
                              After that the receiver was 'deaf', I changed the BS170 and everything went back to normal.

                              Yet that needs checking if it is the same cause in your situation.

                              73,
                              Christos SV1EIA

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 4, 2011
                                Alan, Christos and all,  Woopee ! - It's fixed ! As per Alan's suggestion, I plugged earphones into 'line-in' and heard nothing. I looked on schematic as per Christos and replaced Q-10. That did it! Sure is good to hear it again. Thank you, thank you. Gotta remember to unplug antenna when storms are around. Ha.  I was very close to getting out my 10 ounce, ball peen 'adjustment devise'.  Thanks, guys. larry