ensemble rx/tx symetrical sidebands

  • ian mcphedran
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2011
      It is some months since I last used my ensemble TX/RX which was working very well when I left off operating.
      I have more time now to restart and find that I am getting the dreaded symmetrical sidebands now, so what can be wrong? I have checked all the cables and connectors and the ensemble is bolted into an aluminium box with screw on cover so I am puzzled abut the fault. Obviously it is a phasing problem on the outputs and the only thing I am not sure about is the set up of my M-Audio Delta 44 card. I looked for updates to the version but none is available.
      My version is Panel 5.10.0.5065
                           driver 5.10.0.5065
      Can someone please remind me of the settings?
      Thanks
      Ian GM3GTQ

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2011

        Subject: [softrock40] ensemble rx/tx symetrical sidebands

        >I am getting the dreaded symmetrical sidebands now, so what can be wrong? I
        >have checked all the cables and connectors and the ensemble is bolted into
        >an aluminium box with screw on cover so I am puzzled abut the fault.
        >Obviously it is a phasing problem on the outputs and the only thing I am
        >not sure about is the set up of my M-Audio Delta 44 card. I looked for
        >updates to the version but none is available.
        My version is Panel 5.10.0.5065
        driver 5.10.0.5065
        Can someone please remind me of the settings?

        Ian,

        This is in the Files
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/files/Delta%2044%20&%20Rocky%203.32%20Settings/>

        If it is the D44 the only thing I can say is do not use the Monitor/Mixer.
        Otherwise check that you have two signals.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • ian mcphedran
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
          Hi Alan, In case you don't see my reply to Bob, I'll copy it below. You say not to use the mixer but as you can see none of the Delta44 controls affect the display so I have something wrong, I'm sure.
          Hi Bob, Thanks for your email. I am using Rocky 3.6.0.191 and Windows XP. The leads are o.k. but I am not happy with M-Audio. The switches and sliders have no effect whatever on the Rocky picture so I am sure I am missing something. On Rocky View/Settings/audio I have 01 Delta 44 1/2 for the IQ input device, and 05 SoundMAX Digital Audio for the audio output device (my computer's audio).
          The RXIQ and TXIQ balance graphs look fine with no major dips and fairly consistent results.
          It's quite frustating!
          Ian GM3GTQ

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011

            >You say not to use the mixer but as you can see none of the Delta44
            >controls affect the display so I have something wrong, I'm sure.

            Ian,

            I thought you were talking TX, you said about phasing on the outputs...
            The only controls that will normally make a difference on receive are the
            input level selections, then not a lot. You are receiving then? Do you have
            two outputs from the Softrock?
            Are they shorted?
            Does Rocky re-balance if you Reset the chart?

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • ian mcphedran
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
            Sorry about that. I meant the IQ outputs from the RX, I should have made that clear. I don't know what o/p's I have, I don't have a scope. However I reset the rocky RX balance and attach the new data. It looks like it's working to me.
            Regards, Ian