Silver bearing solder?

  • billingham_n
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2006
      I've just bought the V6 Softrock kit and it wil be my first attempt at
      homebrew with SMT components.

      Reading the instructions it says to use 0.015 inch 2% silver-bearing
      solder.

      Looking at suppliers here in the UK, I can find 0.4mm silver-bearing
      solder in two forms:

      1) 0.5% Cu: 3% Ag; 96.5% Sn - melting range 215 -218C

      2) 36% Pb: 2% Ag; 62% Sn - melting range 178 - 190C

      The lead free is cheaper because it comes in smaller reels and because
      lead solders are slowly vanishing from Europe. On the other hand it
      needs to be a good deal hotter.

      Which would you experts choose?

      Norman Billingham, M0EBI.
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2006
        Hi Norman,

        I use the 62/36/2 solder here and have built a couple hundred SoftRocks using that solder in the last six months.  Seems to work just fine.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2006
          Hi Norman,

          I would go with the lower temp solder. In case of mistake or
          modification it is a lot easier to unsolder.

          Jean-Claude, PJ2BVU

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "billingham_n" <n.billingham@...>