Re: [softrock40] Re: Very low receiver gain Ensemble RXTX

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 103 KB
    ----- Original Message -----
    Subject: [softrock40] Re: Very low receiver gain Ensemble RXTX

    >I am experiencing a similar problem. I have apparent low gain but it isn't
    >really low gain by the receiver. ... By the way, all the above were working
    >up until a week or so ago. I'm very puzzled.

    Jim,

    Your last comment seems to indicate something has changed.
    I'm not really sure what it could be. Does it affect the audio or ultimate
    sensitivity of the Softrock? Or could it be monitor/Windows settings.

    I've just been making a few screenshots to show how low the centre frequency
    noise can be. I tried a few versions of Winrad and found HDSDR to be best
    for adjusting the waterfall to show signals. Are you getting used to that
    and just thinking the others have changed?

    Pictures may be attached, I show one of my centre frequency shots. Hint??
    Note the zoom, each division 100Hz.
    By the way it may be best to delete yours from the Files section after a
    while. It is not too full at the moment but it does get close to the maximum
    sometimes. There is a Photo section as well as attachments for pictures.

    73 Alan G4ZFQ
  • n0ul
    Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
      Alan, thanks for the heads up on the files. I put the files in the photo section.
      What I was trying to point out was the peak signal level of WWV on both. With WinradHD it consistently was about -40db and with HDsdr was consistently about -60db.
      I wasn't concerned about the center freq peak, just the signal levels. When a signal is selected, the audio follows the strength of the signal. I am going to do a clean install again of Windows XP and see where that takes us. I kind of think it's something in the OS but not knowledgeable enough to prove it one way or the other. I'll keep all of you informed and any other ideas you might have along the way are always appreciated.
      Jim N0UL

      > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Very low receiver gain Ensemble RXTX
      >

      > >I am experiencing a similar problem. I have apparent low gain but it isn't
      > >really low gain by the receiver. ... By the way, all the above were working
      > >up until a week or so ago. I'm very puzzled.
      >
      > Jim,
      >
      > Your last comment seems to indicate something has changed.
      > I'm not really sure what it could be. Does it affect the audio or ultimate
      > sensitivity of the Softrock? Or could it be monitor/Windows settings.
      >
      > I've just been making a few screenshots to show how low the centre frequency
      > noise can be. I tried a few versions of Winrad and found HDSDR to be best
      > for adjusting the waterfall to show signals. Are you getting used to that
      > and just thinking the others have changed?
      >
      > Pictures may be attached, I show one of my centre frequency shots. Hint??
      > Note the zoom, each division 100Hz.
      > By the way it may be best to delete yours from the Files section after a
      > while. It is not too full at the moment but it does get close to the maximum
      > sometimes. There is a Photo section as well as attachments for pictures.
      >
      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

    • n0ul
      Message 3 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
        I think I may have discovered a fix. Upon examining the contents of each of the folders for WinradHD and HDsdr I noticed a file named delete_settings.cmd and executed it. I now have similar signal levels on both apps. This is something I hadn't seen before and must initiate all the settings. I assume there may be a persistent file as I had deinstalled and reinstalled the software and nothing changed as a result. At this time it appears that I managed to mess up the settings in some manner that affected the gain. Thanks for the help,
        Alan.

        Message 4 of 14 , Jul 7, 2011

          > What I was trying to point out was the peak signal level of WWV on both.
          > With WinradHD it consistently was about -40db and with HDsdr was
          > consistently about -60db.

          Jim,

          With HDSDR the S meter is able to be calibrated. Look at Options.
          To do it properly you need a reference, I used my Elecraft (XG1??) clone.
          I'm not sure about the other Winrads but their default calibration could be
          different.
          Clean reinstallation can sometimes be a problem. Sometimes things are left
          in the registry or elsewhere. Oh yes you mentioned "DeleteSettings.cmd" that
          deletes the registry entries.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          PS No, I just made the comment about the centre frequency noise because it
          just coincided with checks I was making. You really need to look at ground
          loops sometime.