Very low receiver gain Ensemble RXTX

  • ewbrnb
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
      Have a Delta 44 sound card with Tony's interface, running Rocky software with an Ensemble RXTX. In receive mode 40 meters and a 30-foot length of wire for a test antenna-- I do not see nor hear any signals. When I transmit into a dummy load with my Kenwood transceiver, I do see my signal on the spectrum display and when I transmit SSB I receive a very clean audio output from the Ensemble. I removed the dummy load and used the same 30 foot wire antenna into my receiver in the Kenwood transceiver and can hear a lot of signals on 40 meters. I was wondering what might cause this low gain. I set the Delta 44 and Rocky software up according to a procedure from this link listed below. Any ideas on how best to trace this very low receive gain problem? I am open to any suggestions. Perhaps using an oscilloscope. Any ideas from past experiences would help. When on a really good antenna, I do receive some signals so it does show that the Ensemble RXTX is working only at very low receiver gain.

      LINK http://www.dspradio.org/book/export/html/197
    • jwheatleyus
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
        I had no real success with Rocky and my new Ensemble RXTX and finally figured out that it would not Tx SSB. Another Ham pointed me to SDRBuzz.com and I downloaded PowerSDR v1.19.3.15 modified by SV1EIA. You must first download and install some other files before installing the PSDR version. It works great on Rx and includes full Tx support. I am still having sound card problems getting Tx on SSB to work, but it is my setup, not the program that is the problem. The Rx side is great.
        Suggest you give it a try.
        JohnW
        W5JHW
      • cbayona
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
          The SoftRock needs a tuned antenna with 50 Ohms impedance, it does very poorly with a random wire. Put a tuner and tuned it for maximum signal. An untuned short antenna can have very high capacitance which de tunes the input filters and makes it pretty deaf.

          At 03:01 PM 7/5/2011, you wrote:

[...]

          Cecil
          k5nwa
          www.softrockradio.org > <  http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/   >
          http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >

        • n0ul
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
            I am experiencing a similar problem. I have apparent low gain but it isn't really low gain by the receiver. I am using an Ensemble RXTX. If I use the app WINRADHD then all is well, but if I use any other app the signals appear to be greatly attenuated. I have tried Rocky, PSDR ver 2.0, Winrdhd, Hdsdr and the only one that give me a decent display on the panadapter is Winradhd. I have two screenshots to show what I'm experiencing and they are in the Files under N0UL. The only difference when taking the screenshots was the app I was using. All the hardware and dll is the same and no adjustments were made. By the way, all the above were working up until a week or so ago. I'm very puzzled.
            Jim N0UL

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
            • 1 Attachment
            • 103 KB
            Message 6 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
              Alan, thanks for the heads up on the files. I put the files in the photo section.
              What I was trying to point out was the peak signal level of WWV on both. With WinradHD it consistently was about -40db and with HDsdr was consistently about -60db.
              I wasn't concerned about the center freq peak, just the signal levels. When a signal is selected, the audio follows the strength of the signal. I am going to do a clean install again of Windows XP and see where that takes us. I kind of think it's something in the OS but not knowledgeable enough to prove it one way or the other. I'll keep all of you informed and any other ideas you might have along the way are always appreciated.
              Jim N0UL

              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Very low receiver gain Ensemble RXTX
              >

              > >I am experiencing a similar problem. I have apparent low gain but it isn't
              > >really low gain by the receiver. ... By the way, all the above were working
              > >up until a week or so ago. I'm very puzzled.
              >
              > Jim,
              >
              > Your last comment seems to indicate something has changed.
              > I'm not really sure what it could be. Does it affect the audio or ultimate
              > sensitivity of the Softrock? Or could it be monitor/Windows settings.
              >
              > I've just been making a few screenshots to show how low the centre frequency
              > noise can be. I tried a few versions of Winrad and found HDSDR to be best
              > for adjusting the waterfall to show signals. Are you getting used to that
              > and just thinking the others have changed?
              >
              > Pictures may be attached, I show one of my centre frequency shots. Hint??
              > Note the zoom, each division 100Hz.
              > By the way it may be best to delete yours from the Files section after a
              > while. It is not too full at the moment but it does get close to the maximum
              > sometimes. There is a Photo section as well as attachments for pictures.
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • n0ul
              Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
                I think I may have discovered a fix. Upon examining the contents of each of the folders for WinradHD and HDsdr I noticed a file named delete_settings.cmd and executed it. I now have similar signal levels on both apps. This is something I hadn't seen before and must initiate all the settings. I assume there may be a persistent file as I had deinstalled and reinstalled the software and nothing changed as a result. At this time it appears that I managed to mess up the settings in some manner that affected the gain. Thanks for the help,
                Alan.

                Message 8 of 14 , Jul 7, 2011

                  > What I was trying to point out was the peak signal level of WWV on both.
                  > With WinradHD it consistently was about -40db and with HDsdr was
                  > consistently about -60db.

                  Jim,

                  With HDSDR the S meter is able to be calibrated. Look at Options.
                  To do it properly you need a reference, I used my Elecraft (XG1??) clone.
                  I'm not sure about the other Winrads but their default calibration could be
                  different.
                  Clean reinstallation can sometimes be a problem. Sometimes things are left
                  in the registry or elsewhere. Oh yes you mentioned "DeleteSettings.cmd" that
                  deletes the registry entries.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  PS No, I just made the comment about the centre frequency noise because it
                  just coincided with checks I was making. You really need to look at ground
                  loops sometime.