Pennywhistle with Softrock

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011
      If you all have been following along, I've built, tested and demo'd at field day my Softrock Ensemble RXTX (20, 30 & 40m). Lately, I acquired a TAPR Pennywhistle 16-20W power amp kit and I have built the circuit board so far, I'm about to finish the final touches before testing and I'm beginning to consider usage with my RXTX. If I go to the build instructions for the Pennywhistle it suggests that it is intended to be used in a larger TAPR based system where the Penelope transmitter is the signal source to the Pennywhistle input and the Alex filter bank is between the amp out and the antenna. The filter back requires an SPI input provided by a processor bo0ard and much of this plugs into an Atlas backplane. I can see that going the TAPR route would be an major deviation from my efforts using the Softrock which I'd like to avoid.

      Reading Robby's builders notes for the RXTX I find that my 20/30/40m should have a filter connected between the TX out and the antenna. So, I was wondering whether this filter will work between the Pennywhistle output and the antenna. That is, will it be sufficeint to protect the ether from whatever splatter the system might put out? Should I have BPF or is LP filtering adaquate? Should I have seperate filters for each of the 3 sub bands (20, 30 and 40m)? Also, I'm using the LDG Z817 autotuner. I suppose it should be the last element before the antenna in any case.

      Thank you,
      Chuck Lippmeier
    • JOHN GREUSEL
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011
        Chuck,

        I've thought about this problem too. I think the most expedient remedy would be to buy the HF Packer amp manual bandpass filter board/kit and put that after the amp.
        Otherwise you could create a heavier solo bandpass filter from existing designs for individual bands using larger toroids, heavier wire and bigger capacitors and test you new design with some of the calculators available online.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2011
          "Chuck" <chuck@...> writes:

          > The filter back requires an SPI input provided by a processor board
          > [...]

          I've thought a few times that it'd be nice to have some spare IO pins
          provided on the SoftRock boards for things like this -- e.g. use an
          ATmega328 or similar rather than the current 8-pin AVR. One of the
          projects I've been meaning to get around to for a while is to add a
          transmitter to my Xtall+Lite 9.0 (i.e. build the transmitter half of the
          RXTX design, using the existing Si570's output), but in order to get
          enough IO pins to be able to toggle PTT etc. I'll have to retrofit a
          larger AVR and port the firmware across.

          I guess one approach would be to make a SoftRock "shield" for the
          Arduino development boards; that'd give you loads of IO pins, and would
          also work with the Arduino-compatible ARM boards if you wanted to build
          a standalone radio. (Hm, and you could even do separate RX/TX/filter
          shields... maybe this is worth playing with.)

          Thanks,

          --
          Adam Sampson <ats@...> <http://offog.org/>
        • Alex lee
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2011
            Hi all,

            You mighht be interested in Loftur's project with an ATMEGA controller. There are several other controllers with software for LPF switching, including UBW, AT90USB' and AT32UC3A3 etc., with differing capabilities and complexity. See for example :

            http://sites.google.com/site/lofturj/softrock6_3#TOC-Project:---USB-controller-based-on-

            Sent from my iPad