SR osc using FM transmitter?

  • Mr John W Titmuss
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      I have seen these (very cheap) fm transmitters for sale for use with ipods, etc. They are going on ebay for about 12 bucks delivered, and are a stable, PLL, digital frequency source. Thet are tuneable in 100khz steps from 88-108Mhz.
      So, my question is, would we be able to utilize one of these as a local osc for a softrock, considering they span 20 megs, maybe thru a divide by 4 cct? What do you think Tony?
      I was also thinking about using a softrock for 137.5Mhz weather satellite, but would need a 137.525Mhz osc in the softrock.

      Cheers

      John de VK4JWT
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006

        Hi John,

        The v7.0 SoftRock might be good up to 6m but there is a big question if that is so or not.  137.25 MHz I am pretty sure is much to high for the SoftRock without using a converter in front of the SoftRock.

        The v6.0 SoftRock runs out of gas somewhere 10m or lower.  I have built one for 15m and I think it was working ok but additionaly testing is needed.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
          Thanks for the reply Tony, the 137meg was just a thought.
          The main question I was asking, is could we use one of those cheap fm broadcast transmitters as a local osc for hf , being very cheap and stable and frequency agile, either by a divide by 4 or 8 cct.