Re: SP40/80 and PSK

  • jabauzit
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Geoff,

      I never used VAC, so I cannot help for now. I downloaded it, installed
      it and started to read the help file. I will have to play with it. I
      also noticed that PowerSDR has a setup tab to enable VAC. If you are
      using PowerSDR I guess that the documentation also have some information.
      The best would be an answer from someone who used it. The Flex-Radio
      forums could also help.

      Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
    • Ken N9VV
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
        nice webpage to read is this one:
        http://www.flex-radio.com/download_files/PowerSDR/Docs/PowerSDR_VAC.pdf

        Geoff Anderson wrote:
        > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please tell me
        > in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the delta 44 card to
        > the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave device] using virtual
        > cable so that I may also run a psk program to decode the tones.
        >

        > 73 de Geoff
        > G3NPA
        > Geoff.Anderson@...
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alberto I2PHD
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
          jabauzit wrote:
          > Hi Geoff,
          >
          > I never used VAC, so I cannot help for now. I downloaded it, installed
          > it and started to read the help file. I will have to play with it. I
          > also noticed that PowerSDR has a setup tab to enable VAC. If you are
          > using PowerSDR I guess that the documentation also have some information.
          > The best would be an answer from someone who used it. The Flex-Radio
          > forums could also help.

          I know nothing about PowerSDR, but have used VAC with my programs. Just tell to the PowerSDR program that its output
          sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 Out", then tell to the PSK program that its input sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 In".
          Additionally you have to make sure that Power SDR and the PSK program both use the same sampling speed when
          talking/listening to/from the Virtual Cable, and both use it in the same mode (mono/stereo).

          Easier to do than to describe.

          73 Alberto I2PHD
        • Milt Cram
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
            Geoff Anderson wrote:
            > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please tell me
            > in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the delta 44 card to
            > the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave device] using virtual
            > cable so that I may also run a psk program to decode the tones.
            >

            > 73 de Geoff
            > G3NPA
            > Geoff.Anderson@...

            Geoff,

            Select the Delta 44 for input to your SR software. Select Virtual Audio
            Cable for the output of your SR software (e.g. Rocky). Then select the
            Virtual Audio Cable for the input to your PSK program (e.g. Digipan).
            Select your Delta 44 for the output from Digipan.

            If you have problems, send me an email-off reflector.

            I'm not set up at the moment, but I can on fairly short notice.

            I have used VAC just as you indicated you want to use it. However, I
            don't have a Delta 44. I am using it with a laptop, with a SB Live Ext
            (USB) and it works great.

            73, Milt
            W8NUE
          • Milt Cram
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
              Geoff Anderson wrote:
              > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please tell me
              > in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the delta 44 card to
              > the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave device] using virtual
              > cable so that I may also run a psk program to decode the tones.
              >

              > 73 de Geoff
              > G3NPA
              > Geoff.Anderson@...

              Geoff,

              I forgot to mention, that you can use the inbuilt audio card for the
              output device if you desire. Simply configure your PSK program for that
              card for output. No cables are required.

              73, Milt
              W8NUE
            • Geoff Anderson
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
                Yes - you can indeed BUT you can't then run a PSK program to decode - or at
                least I singularly fail to be able to do so.

                73 de Geoff
                G3NPA
                Geoff.Anderson@...

                > > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please tell
                me
                > > in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the delta 44 card
                > > the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave device] using virtual
                > > cable so that I may also run a psk program to decode the tones.
                > >

                > > 73 de Geoff
                > > G3NPA
                > > Geoff.Anderson@...
                > >
                > Geoff,
                >
                > I forgot to mention, that you can use the inbuilt audio card for the
                > output device if you desire. Simply configure your PSK program for that
                > card for output. No cables are required.
                >
                > 73, Milt
                > W8NUE
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Geoff Anderson
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
                  > Just tell to the PowerSDR program that its output
                  > sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 Out"

                  This I have NO problem with

                  , then tell to the PSK program that its input sound card is "Virtual Cable 1
                  In".
                  But this is where I fall down..,HOW do I tell the PSK program to use virtual
                  cable?

                  73 de Geoff
                  G3NPA
                  Geoff.Anderson@...

                  > > I never used VAC, so I cannot help for now. I downloaded it, installed
                  > > it and started to read the help file. I will have to play with it. I
                  > > also noticed that PowerSDR has a setup tab to enable VAC. If you are
                  > > using PowerSDR I guess that the documentation also have some
                  information.
                  > > The best would be an answer from someone who used it. The Flex-Radio
                  > > forums could also help.
                  >
                  > I know nothing about PowerSDR, but have used VAC with my programs. Just
                  tell to the PowerSDR program that its output
                  > sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 Out", then tell to the PSK program that its
                  input sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 In".
                  > Additionally you have to make sure that Power SDR and the PSK program both
                  use the same sampling speed when
                  > talking/listening to/from the Virtual Cable, and both use it in the same
                  mode (mono/stereo).

                  > Easier to do than to describe.
                  >
                  > 73 Alberto I2PHD

                • Alberto I2PHD
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Geoff Anderson wrote:
                    >> Just tell to the PowerSDR program that its output
                    >> sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 Out"
                    >
                    > This I have NO problem with
                    >
                    > , then tell to the PSK program that its input sound card is "Virtual Cable 1
                    > In".
                    > But this is where I fall down..,HOW do I tell the PSK program to use virtual
                    > cable?

                    Geoff,

                    I am not familiar with that program, but apparently it does not offer to the user the choice of which sound card to
                    use (bad decision by the programmer...). This means that it will use whatever card is defined to Windows as the default
                    sound card for recording (i.e. for input).

                    If this is the case, open the Windows Control Panel, then click on "Sound and Audio Devices", then select the middle
                    tab, labeled "Audio", and in that panel specify that "Virtual Cable 1 In" is the default device for sound recording.
                    This should make the PSK program using the VAC 1 as input, thus receiving the audio stream output from PowerSDR.

                    73 Alberto I2PHD
                  • f5jd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Hello Geoff

                      I use PowerSDR, VAC 3.12 and PSK31 Deluxe with my SDR1K.

                      In PowerSDR setup/VC page, I have these data :
                      Input : Virtual cable 1 In
                      Output : Virtual Cable 2 out
                      Buffer size : 2048
                      Sample rate : 8000
                      Enable VAC is checked
                      Enable for digital modes. Disable for others is checked

                      In PSK31 deluxe, Soundcard tab :
                      Input : Virtual cable 2 in
                      Output : Virtual cable 1 out

                      73, José F5JD