Re: SP40/80 and PSK

  • jabauzit
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 1:13 PM
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Anderson"
      <Geoff.Anderson@...> wrote:

      > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please
      > tell me in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the
      > delta 44 card to the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave
      > device] using virtual cable so that I may also run a psk program to
      > decode the tones.

      If you are using virtual audio cable you do not need to use the built
      in audio card. You just 'steal' the output of the Delta-44 and route
      it to your PSK program. I did not use Virtual Audio Cable but all the
      necessary information should be on the web site.

      Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
    • Geoff Anderson
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 1:21 PM
        Jean-Claude

        Yes - I know the principal - it is the practical help I need. What do I set
        to what???? How do I route the "stolen2 signal to (say) Digipan? As yet I
        have been totally unsuccessful and I'm sure it is some minor setting I'm
        missing.

        73 de Geoff
        G3NPA
        Geoff.Anderson@...

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1 2:30 PM
          Hi Geoff,

          I never used VAC, so I cannot help for now. I downloaded it, installed
          it and started to read the help file. I will have to play with it. I
          also noticed that PowerSDR has a setup tab to enable VAC. If you are
          using PowerSDR I guess that the documentation also have some information.
          The best would be an answer from someone who used it. The Flex-Radio
          forums could also help.

          Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
        • Ken N9VV
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 2:44 PM
            nice webpage to read is this one:
            http://www.flex-radio.com/download_files/PowerSDR/Docs/PowerSDR_VAC.pdf

            Geoff Anderson wrote:
            > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please tell me
            > in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the delta 44 card to
            > the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave device] using virtual
            > cable so that I may also run a psk program to decode the tones.
            >

            > 73 de Geoff
            > G3NPA
            > Geoff.Anderson@...
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Alberto I2PHD
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 2:50 PM
              jabauzit wrote:
              > Hi Geoff,
              >
              > I never used VAC, so I cannot help for now. I downloaded it, installed
              > it and started to read the help file. I will have to play with it. I
              > also noticed that PowerSDR has a setup tab to enable VAC. If you are
              > using PowerSDR I guess that the documentation also have some information.
              > The best would be an answer from someone who used it. The Flex-Radio
              > forums could also help.

              I know nothing about PowerSDR, but have used VAC with my programs. Just tell to the PowerSDR program that its output
              sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 Out", then tell to the PSK program that its input sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 In".
              Additionally you have to make sure that Power SDR and the PSK program both use the same sampling speed when
              talking/listening to/from the Virtual Cable, and both use it in the same mode (mono/stereo).

              Easier to do than to describe.

              73 Alberto I2PHD
            • Milt Cram
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1 2:51 PM
                Geoff Anderson wrote:
                > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please tell me
                > in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the delta 44 card to
                > the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave device] using virtual
                > cable so that I may also run a psk program to decode the tones.
                >

                > 73 de Geoff
                > G3NPA
                > Geoff.Anderson@...

                Geoff,

                Select the Delta 44 for input to your SR software. Select Virtual Audio
                Cable for the output of your SR software (e.g. Rocky). Then select the
                Virtual Audio Cable for the input to your PSK program (e.g. Digipan).
                Select your Delta 44 for the output from Digipan.

                If you have problems, send me an email-off reflector.

                I'm not set up at the moment, but I can on fairly short notice.

                I have used VAC just as you indicated you want to use it. However, I
                don't have a Delta 44. I am using it with a laptop, with a SB Live Ext
                (USB) and it works great.

                73, Milt
                W8NUE
              • Milt Cram
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1 2:54 PM
                  Geoff Anderson wrote:
                  > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please tell me
                  > in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the delta 44 card to
                  > the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave device] using virtual
                  > cable so that I may also run a psk program to decode the tones.
                  >

                  > 73 de Geoff
                  > G3NPA
                  > Geoff.Anderson@...

                  Geoff,

                  I forgot to mention, that you can use the inbuilt audio card for the
                  output device if you desire. Simply configure your PSK program for that
                  card for output. No cables are required.

                  73, Milt
                  W8NUE
                • Geoff Anderson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1 3:12 PM
                    Yes - you can indeed BUT you can't then run a PSK program to decode - or at
                    least I singularly fail to be able to do so.

                    73 de Geoff
                    G3NPA
                    Geoff.Anderson@...

                    > > I'm using a SR40/80 with a Delta 44 audio card. Can someone please tell
                    me
                    > > in words of one syllable how to connect the output of the delta 44 card
                    > > the input of the inbuilt audio card [C media wave device] using virtual
                    > > cable so that I may also run a psk program to decode the tones.
                    > >

                    > > 73 de Geoff
                    > > G3NPA
                    > > Geoff.Anderson@...
                    > >
                    > Geoff,
                    >
                    > I forgot to mention, that you can use the inbuilt audio card for the
                    > output device if you desire. Simply configure your PSK program for that
                    > card for output. No cables are required.
                    >
                    > 73, Milt
                    > W8NUE
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Geoff Anderson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 1 3:20 PM
                      > Just tell to the PowerSDR program that its output
                      > sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 Out"

                      This I have NO problem with

                      , then tell to the PSK program that its input sound card is "Virtual Cable 1
                      In".
                      But this is where I fall down..,HOW do I tell the PSK program to use virtual
                      cable?

                      73 de Geoff
                      G3NPA
                      Geoff.Anderson@...

                      > > I never used VAC, so I cannot help for now. I downloaded it, installed
                      > > it and started to read the help file. I will have to play with it. I
                      > > also noticed that PowerSDR has a setup tab to enable VAC. If you are
                      > > using PowerSDR I guess that the documentation also have some
                      information.
                      > > The best would be an answer from someone who used it. The Flex-Radio
                      > > forums could also help.
                      >
                      > I know nothing about PowerSDR, but have used VAC with my programs. Just
                      tell to the PowerSDR program that its output
                      > sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 Out", then tell to the PSK program that its
                      input sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 In".
                      > Additionally you have to make sure that Power SDR and the PSK program both
                      use the same sampling speed when
                      > talking/listening to/from the Virtual Cable, and both use it in the same
                      mode (mono/stereo).

                      > Easier to do than to describe.
                      >
                      > 73 Alberto I2PHD

                    • Alberto I2PHD
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2 2:22 AM
                        Geoff Anderson wrote:
                        >> Just tell to the PowerSDR program that its output
                        >> sound card is "Virtual Cable 1 Out"
                        >
                        > This I have NO problem with
                        >
                        > , then tell to the PSK program that its input sound card is "Virtual Cable 1
                        > In".
                        > But this is where I fall down..,HOW do I tell the PSK program to use virtual
                        > cable?

                        Geoff,

                        I am not familiar with that program, but apparently it does not offer to the user the choice of which sound card to
                        use (bad decision by the programmer...). This means that it will use whatever card is defined to Windows as the default
                        sound card for recording (i.e. for input).

                        If this is the case, open the Windows Control Panel, then click on "Sound and Audio Devices", then select the middle
                        tab, labeled "Audio", and in that panel specify that "Virtual Cable 1 In" is the default device for sound recording.
                        This should make the PSK program using the VAC 1 as input, thus receiving the audio stream output from PowerSDR.

                        73 Alberto I2PHD
                      • f5jd
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3 4:04 AM
                          Hello Geoff

                          I use PowerSDR, VAC 3.12 and PSK31 Deluxe with my SDR1K.

                          In PowerSDR setup/VC page, I have these data :
                          Input : Virtual cable 1 In
                          Output : Virtual Cable 2 out
                          Buffer size : 2048
                          Sample rate : 8000
                          Enable VAC is checked
                          Enable for digital modes. Disable for others is checked

                          In PSK31 deluxe, Soundcard tab :
                          Input : Virtual cable 2 in
                          Output : Virtual cable 1 out

                          73, José F5JD