MW with RX II HF?

  • homebrewer7
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31 8:52 AM
      Hey I was under the impression of receiving down through 160 with the RX II HF... But mine easily tunes down through most of the MW band (down to 800 something). Is this normal?

      During the day today I'm getting all of the local stations of course and it's impressive to see 0 images with multiple 50kw on the screen at once. But last night I had stations every 10 Khz. Some not too listinable, but could manipulate the NR, NB and my matching/preselector/preamp device enough to copy pretty much all of them. I just never saw reference to it covering most of MW and was seeing if this was normal?

      Dave
    • Roger Critchlow
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31 8:58 AM

        Its normal, the Si570 is specified down to 10mhz but it oscillates around 3 so you get to tune down to 0.75

        -- rec --

        On May 31, 2011 9:52 AM, "homebrewer7" <moneycraft@...> wrote:
        > Hey I was under the impression of receiving down through 160 with the RX II HF... But mine easily tunes down through most of the MW band (down to 800 something). Is this normal?
        >
        > During the day today I'm getting all of the local stations of course and it's impressive to see 0 images with multiple 50kw on the screen at once. But last night I had stations every 10 Khz. Some not too listinable, but could manipulate the NR, NB and my matching/preselector/preamp device enough to copy pretty much all of them. I just never saw reference to it covering most of MW and was seeing if this was normal?
        >
        > Dave

      • homebrewer7
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31 9:16 AM
          Ahh, makes sense. So the LF version is just divided more then I take it. Either way I'm excited just b/c here in the NE there's a lot of good stuff on MW regarding football/baseball games ;)

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Roger Critchlow <rec@...> wrote:

          > Its normal, the Si570 is specified down to 10mhz but it oscillates around 3
          > so you get to tune down to 0.75
          >
          > -- rec --
          > On May 31, 2011 9:52 AM, "homebrewer7" <moneycraft@...> wrote:
          > > Hey I was under the impression of receiving down through 160 with the RX
          > II HF... But mine easily tunes down through most of the MW band (down to 800
          > something). Is this normal?
          > >
          > > During the day today I'm getting all of the local stations of course and
          > it's impressive to see 0 images with multiple 50kw on the screen at once.
          > But last night I had stations every 10 Khz. Some not too listinable, but
          > could manipulate the NR, NB and my matching/preselector/preamp device enough
          > to copy pretty much all of them. I just never saw reference to it covering
          > most of MW and was seeing if this was normal?
          > >
          > > Dave

        • grahamg3zod
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31 9:37 AM

            I notice that the band pass filter ranges given in the Builder's Guide are:

            1. Band 0: 160m - Continuous coverage from 1.8 to 2.0 MHz
            2. Band 1: 80m and 40m - Continuous coverage from 3.5 to 7.3 MHz
            3. Band 2: 30m, 20m, and 17m - Continuous coverage from 10.1 to 18.168 MHz
            4. Band 3: 15m, 12m, and 10m - Continuous coverage from 21.0 to 29.7 MHz

            I presume this means that there may be a drop off in sensitivity outside the above ranges?

            73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
            http://www.fists.co.uk

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Roger Critchlow <rec@...> wrote:
            > Its normal, the Si570 is specified down to 10mhz but it oscillates around 3
            > so you get to tune down to 0.75

          • grahamg3zod
            Message 5 of 9 , May 31 9:41 AM

              Oops - I should have read the bit before (although I still wonder what the lowest frequency BPF 0 is designed for), which says:

              "HF Option

              The Ensemble RX LF/HF kit provides coverage of HF ham bands from 160-10m, in four different optional "super bands" (each with underlap and overlap within the parameters of the associated bandpass filter):"

              Message 6 of 9 , May 31 10:58 AM
                From: "grahamg3zod"Subject: [softrock40] Re: MW with RX II HF?

                >I notice that the band pass filter ranges given in the Builder's Guide
                are:

                1. Band 0: 160m - Continuous coverage from 1.8 to 2.0 MHz
                2. Band 1: 80m and 40m - Continuous coverage from 3.5 to 7.3 MHz
                3. Band 2: 30m, 20m, and 17m - Continuous coverage from 10.1 to
                18.168 MHz
                4. Band 3: 15m, 12m, and 10m - Continuous coverage from 21.0 to 29.7
                MHz

                I presume this means that there may be a drop off in sensitivity outside
                the above ranges?

                Graham,

                Yes.
                Reception on the lower frequencies, (above about 850KHz depending on sample
                rate and the particular Si570) is possible because signals are strong and
                the Softrock is sensitive enough to overcome the losses due to the BPF.
                In theory there is likely to be interference from signals 3 times the RX
                frequency, the BPF will not reject these. In practice it does not seem to be
                noticed. But that may depend on what transmissions are present and how fussy
                one is.
                Message 7 of 9 , May 31 11:08 AM
                  Subject: [softrock40] Re: MW with RX II HF?

                  >The Ensemble RX LF/HF kit provides coverage of HF ham bands from
                  160-10m, in four different optional "super bands" (each with underlap
                  and overlap within the parameters of the associated bandpass filter):"

                  I think Robby means it gives coverage from 1.8 to 30MHz.
                  There are plots of BPFs in the Files section.
                  to 1.5MHz.
                  The Ensemble ones are probably similar. There is a section around 2.4MHz
                  where sensitivity is a little lower so you might say not quite continuous.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • vbifyz
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 31 11:28 AM
                    Yes, this is normal. The only problem is the 3rd harmonic pickup in 2.4..5.1MHz range. The BPF attenuates the MW signals and passes the 3rd harmonic signals. But because MW signals are typically much stronger, you can still recive them very well. One annoying 3rd harmonic signal is CODAR, which sweeps 50kHz range and interferes with many stations at once.

                    73, Mike

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "homebrewer7" <moneycraft@...> wrote:

                    > Hey I was under the impression of receiving down through 160 with the RX II HF... But mine easily tunes down through most of the MW band (down to 800 something). Is this normal?
                    >
                    > During the day today I'm getting all of the local stations of course and it's impressive to see 0 images with multiple 50kw on the screen at once. But last night I had stations every 10 Khz. Some not too listinable, but could manipulate the NR, NB and my matching/preselector/preamp device enough to copy pretty much all of them. I just never saw reference to it covering most of MW and was seeing if this was normal?
                    >
                    > Dave

                  • homebrewer7
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
                      Ok so my RX II randomly stopped receiving the MW great. Not only that but the 160m band got tangled up as well. In winrad if I switch to it it's like it's a completely different band with a lot of SW BCB stuff (in spanish and whatnot).

                      It's controlling the LO correctly according to the setup program.

                      Any ideas?